12.04°C Vancouver

Sep 9, 2020 1:39 AM -

COVID-19 cases rise in Quebec, Ontario, B.C. and Ontario over the long weekend

Share On
covid-19-cases-rise-in-quebec-ontario-b-c-and-ontario-over-the-long-weekend
In this Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020 file photo, a patient receives an influenza vaccine in Mesquite, Texas. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/LM Otero

There are 133,747 confirmed cases in Canada.

Quebec: 63,876 confirmed (including 5,770 deaths, 56,162 resolved)

Ontario: 43,536 confirmed (including 2,813 deaths, 39,196 resolved)

Alberta: 15,093 confirmed (including 247 deaths, 13,154 resolved)

British Columbia: 6,591 confirmed (including 213 deaths, 4,978 resolved)

Saskatchewan: 1,669 confirmed (including 24 deaths, 1,587 resolved)

Manitoba: 1,349 confirmed (including 16 deaths, 940 resolved)

Nova Scotia: 1,086 confirmed (including 65 deaths, 1,018 resolved)

Newfoundland and Labrador: 269 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 265 resolved)

New Brunswick: 192 confirmed (including 2 deaths, 186 resolved)

Prince Edward Island: 53 confirmed (including 44 resolved)

Yukon: 15 confirmed (including 15 resolved)

Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved)

Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 5 resolved)

Nunavut: No confirmed cases

Total: 133,747 (9,153 deaths, 117,563 resolved)

Latest news

911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p
carney-smith-expected-to-unveil-alberta-industrial-carbon-pricing-deal-tied-to-pipeline-plan
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Carney, Smith expected to unveil Alberta industrial carbon pricing deal tied to pipeline plan

Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith are expected to announce an agreement Friday on the future of industrial carbon pricing in Alberta, a move both governments have linked to plans for a new bitumen export pipeline to Canada’s West Coast. According to a source familiar with the discussions, the agreement would see Alberta’s industrial emissions price rise to an effective rate of $130 per tonne by 2040. Alberta froze its industrial carbon price at $95 per tonne last year. The expected announcement follows a memorandum of understanding signed by Ottawa and Alberta i
AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Re-entry to begin for some evacuees after Woodlands County wildfire holds steady

Some residents forced from their homes earlier this week due to a wildfire northwest of Edmonton could begin returning Friday as fire conditions stabilize in parts of Woodlands County. Woodlands County officials said on social media that re-entry is expected to begin for residents in Zone 1 only, while evacuation orders for other affected areas remain in place. Residents returning to the area are being asked to complete a waiver because the wildfire is still considered active. About 140 residents were ordered to evacuate Monday as crews responded to a wildfire near the town of Whitecourt, loca
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Indian man pleads guilty in cross-border human smuggling case linked to Canada–U.S. route

A 22-year-old Indian national has pleaded guilty in a U.S. court in connection with a human smuggling network accused of moving Indian migrants from Canada into the United States illegally, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Authorities allege Shivam Lnu was involved in a cross-border operation that transported migrants from Canada into New York State between October 2024 and June 2025. Investigators said the network later arranged travel for migrants to other parts of the United States. According to the Justice Department, Shivam’s role included coordinating drivers, arranging pic
man-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-in-fatal-coquitlam-pub-stabbing
BCMay 14, 2026

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Coquitlam pub stabbing

A 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing outside a pub in Coquitlam last year, according to homicide investigators. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Timothy Vansnick was originally charged with second-degree murder following the incident on Jan. 31, 2025. Police said the stabbing occurred after a fight outside the pub. Bystanders attempted first aid before emergency responders continued life-saving efforts, but the victim died at the scene. Investigators said Vansnick was charged with second-degree murder on Feb. 1, 2025. On Tuesda

Related News