22.17°C Vancouver

Jun 21, 2021 7:41 PM -

Canadian tennis star Denis Shapovalov won't compete at Tokyo Olympics

Share On
canadian-tennis-star-denis-shapovalov-wont-compete-at-tokyo-olympics
Denis Shapovalov says he won't compete for Canada at the Tokyo Olympics.(Photo - Denis Shapovalov/Twitter)

Denis Shapovalov says he won't compete for Canada at the Tokyo Olympics.

The 22-year-old from Richmond Hill, Ont., says in a Twitter post he made the decision for safety reasons ``due to the current situation.''

Opposition within Japan to holding the games has been high.

The country has been dealing with a high number of COVID-19 cases and a low vaccination rate.

Shapovalov is the top-ranked Canadian on the ATP Tour at No. 12. He withdrew from the French Open at the end of May, saying on social media that his shoulder had been bothering him and he needed to rest.

Earlier that month, Shapovalov made it to the final of the Geneva Open, losing to Norway's Casper Ruud in the title match.

Denis Shapovalov on Twitter:

Hey everyone, after careful consideration I wanted to let you know that I will not be participating in the Olympics this year. Representing Canada means the world to me, but due to the current situation my team and I have decided this is the best decision for everyone’s safety.

Latest news

quebec-government-to-ban-prayer-in-public-places
CanadaAug 28, 2025

Quebec government to ban prayer in public places

The Quebec government says it is planning to ban prayer in public places as part of a move to strengthen secularism in the province. Secularism Minister Jean-François Roberge says he will table legislation this fall to outlaw public prayer. He says the government is uneasy with what he describes as a growing phenomenon of people praying in the streets, especially in Montreal. Premier François Legault last December stated his desire to ban prayer in the streets and other public places, saying he was considering legislation. The announcement comes after an independent committee made 50 recomme
BCAug 28, 2025

Dump truck hauling coal causes partial closure of Highway #3

A dump truck driver from Chilliwack is facing a Motor Vehicle Act charge after his dump truck jackknifed, hit a car, and caused a partial closure of Highway #3 in Manning Park. On August 27, 2025, at 1:35 p.m., BC Highway Patrol was called to a collision on Highway #3 just east of Cayuse Flats. The crash involved a dump truck that jackknifed into its own trailer and subsequently collided with a BMW sedan carrying two men from North Vancouver and Burnaby, respectively. The highway was down to a single lane of traffic for several hours. Injuries were minor, but the BMW was totaled. The dump
differences-continue-between-canada-post-and-union-representing-postal-workers
CanadaAug 28, 2025

Differences continue between Canada Post and union representing postal workers

The rift between Canada Post and the union representing about 55,000 postal workers has deepened. Canada Post lashed out at the union after talks yesterday, calling its latest demands untenable. The Crown corporation said the union was "unfortunately" adamant on several things and had made the negotiations "harder" by adding more demands. Canada Post and the union have been struggling to reach a new contract for 18 months. The Crown corporation said many of the union's proposals would increase its operational costs, so it has urged the union to reconsider its latest demands in light of the f
WorldAug 28, 2025

Nova Scotia Liberal Party announces new bill

The Nova Scotia Liberal Party has announced a new bill, called the Social Media Responsibility Act. If passed, it would prohibit children under the age of 16 from using social media platforms like Facebook, TikTok and Instagram. Liberal House Leader Iain Rankin will introduce the bill in the Nova Scotia legislature in September. It would be the first such bill in Canada. So far, such legislation has been introduced at the national level in Australia, which is coming into effect in December, and Norway is also in the public consultation phase. Many experts, including Unplugged Canada, have
chief-minister-mann-reviews-the-rising-water-level-in-the-beas-river
IndiaAug 28, 2025

Chief Minister Mann reviews the rising water level in the Beas River

Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann today reached the Beas River to review the rising water level in the Beas River in Punjab. He said that the Punjab government stands with the people to help the flood-hit people. All kinds of help will be provided to the flood-hit people. He reached near the meter gauge on the road leading to Dera Beas and reviewed the water situation. On this occasion, the Beas River was flowing slightly below the red alert. Due to the floods, Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Amarinder Singh Raja Warring also visited some villages of Tarn Taran today. Where he

Related News