Aug 19, 2026 2:05 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active.
Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions.
According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain out of control.
Olszewski said above-normal temperatures and persistent drought in several areas could contribute to further wildfire activity and damage in the coming weeks. The official wildfire season runs through Oct. 31, meaning conditions could change before the season concludes.
Canada’s worst wildfire season on record was in 2023, when about 16.5 million hectares burned. Last year was the second-worst season, with about 7.7 million hectares affected by mid-August.



