18.89°C Vancouver

Jun 2, 2025 2:06 PM - The Canadian Press

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Share On
canada-post-rejects-unions-request-for-binding-arbitration-to-end-labour-dispute
Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as it's significant financial challenges.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement issued Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement.

But the crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response released on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as it's significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14 per cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead.

Latest news

first-degree-murder-conviction-by-jury-in-2017-murder-of-nicholas-khabra
BCAug 28, 2025

First-degree murder conviction by jury in 2017 murder of Nicholas Khabra

Nicholas Khabra, 28, was shot dead in Surrey on October 23, 2017. In May 2018, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, began a joint investigation into the case, during which several suspects were under investigation, including Brandon Teixeira. Brandon Texeira has now been found guilty of first-degree murder. Connect FM spoke to CFSEU ​​spokesperson Cpl. Sarbjit Sangha regarding the case, she said “obtaining charges against Texeira was not an easy process. She added, “there was an attempt to arrest Teixeira in 2018, but he eluded
the-sister-of-a-hit-and-run-victim-issues-a-video-plea-for-one-more-witness
BCAug 28, 2025

The sister of a hit-and-run victim issues a video plea for one more witness

On August 30, 2024, 24-year-old Buddy Rhodes’ body was found off to the side of the Coquihalla (Highway #5) near Exit 286 in Merritt, BC. The vehicle and driver that hit him have not been found. On the one-year anniversary of Rhodes’ death, BC Highway Patrol is releasing the victim’s name while his sister issues a video plea for a witness who could help further the investigation. View the video: Alix Legouffe talks about the impact that Buddy’s death has had on her family, and what they are hoping will happen next A collision reconstruction determined that Rhodes was likely hit while s
two-rcmp-officers-in-alberta-charged-with-breach-of-trust-says-watchdog-agency
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Two RCMP officers in Alberta charged with breach of trust, says watchdog agency

Alberta's police watchdog has charged a pair of RCMP officers from two northern detachments with breach of trust. The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says it was directed in mid-February last year to investigate two officers from the Morinville and Westlock detachments, located north of Edmonton. Watchdog officials say there are reasonable grounds to suggest an offence had been committed, but wouldn't comment further as the matter is before the courts. They say Sgt. Daniel Mayowski of Westlock and Sgt. Sheldon Robb of Morinville both were charged with breach of
CanadaAug 28, 2025

WSO raises concerns after appointment of Indian diplomats in Canada

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is raising concerns following the announcement that Canada and India have appointed new high commissioners as part of a diplomatic reset. Canada has appointed Christopher Cooter, a veteran diplomat with 35 years of service, as its new High Commissioner to India, while India has named Dinesh K. Patnaik as its envoy to Canada. WSO is calling on the Government of Canada to provide clear assurances that newly appointed Indian diplomats will not have intelligence or police backgrounds, will not engage in espionage or criminal activity in Canada, and will
alberta-now-on-track-for-even-bigger-budget-deficit-now-at-6-5b
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Alberta now on track for even bigger budget deficit, now at $6.5B

The bad news for Alberta's oil-reliant budget is set to get worse. Finance Minister Nate Horner says softening oil prices mean this year's projected budget deficit is expected to grow by $1.3 billion, and will now finish at $6.5 billion in the red when the fiscal year ends next spring. That represents a massive multibillion-dollar swing in Alberta's financial fortunes, as it is coming off an $8.3-billion surplus the year prior. The government says uncertainty created by U.S. trade policy is hurting the Alberta economy and remains a significant risk going into the rest of the year.

Related News