24.3°C Vancouver

Nov 24, 2025 1:42 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Canada and India move to restart comprehensive trade talks

Share On
canada-and-india-move-to-restart-comprehensive-trade-talks
Canadian and Indian officials meet during the G20 summit in Johannesburg. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada and India are taking steps to restart negotiations toward a full trade agreement, marking a renewed push after more than a decade of on-and-off discussions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi signalled their interest in reviving the effort during meetings around the G20 summit in Johannesburg.

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand told The Canadian Press that both governments want a broad agreement covering major industrial sectors as well as services. The two countries first pursued such a deal in 2010, but talks were scaled back in recent years to focus only on selected industries. Ottawa formally paused discussions in late 2023 after the RCMP alleged that Indian government agents were linked to the killing of a Sikh activist in the Vancouver region, followed by concerns about coercive activity.

Carney said a dedicated security dialogue will be essential to rebuild trust, noting that a federal inquiry has identified India as one of the most active foreign actors attempting to influence Canadian institutions. The federal government has faced pressure from communities in British Columbia and across the Prairies to ensure any renewed engagement addresses interference and safety concerns.

Despite the tensions, Anand said both governments believe they can double bilateral trade by 2030, reaching an estimated value of 50 billion U.S. dollars. Analysts say any forward movement could have significant economic implications for B.C. and Alberta, where businesses rely heavily on trade access to major Indo-Pacific markets.

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Advance Voting for 3 Federal By-Elections Begins Friday in Canada

Advance voting for three federal by-elections in Canada is set to begin Friday. According to Elections Canada, advance voting will take place for four consecutive days, from Friday through Monday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The by-elections are being held in the federal ridings of North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. Election Day for all three ridings is scheduled for August 31. The three by-elections are part of a series of federal by-elections being held across Canada this year. Earlier, on April 13, two federal b
WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
BCAug 20, 2026

Garbage-Dumping Videos Go Viral in Abbotsford, Police Launch Investigation

Police in Abbotsford have launched an investigation after two separate videos showing garbage being dumped in a waterway and a local park went viral on social media. The two incidents are believed to have occurred in late July. In one video, a woman is seen dumping garbage at Mill Lake Park, while another video shows her dumping garbage near Bluejay Elementary School. According to Sgt. Paul Walker, police had not received any reports about the incidents before the videos went viral. However, after the videos were widely shared, around 30 people contacted or tagged the police department, provid

Related News