Feb 19, 2026 11:57 AM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur

Burnaby RCMP are warning residents to remain vigilant after an elderly couple lost approximately $300,000 in a fraud scheme involving someone posing as a police officer.
Police say the couple, both in their 80s, reported the incident on January 28 after being contacted by an individual claiming to be an RCMP officer. The caller allegedly told them their bank account had been compromised and instructed them to transfer their money to protect it.
Over several weeks, the victims moved funds through multiple deposits and were directed to purchase gift cards as part of the scheme. They were also told not to contact police. The couple eventually grew suspicious and reached out to their financial institution, which advised them to file a police report. The matter remains under investigation.
Cpl. Mike Kalanj, media relations officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, said fraudsters often use fear and urgency to manipulate victims, particularly seniors. Police stress that neither law enforcement nor banks will ask individuals to transfer money or purchase gift cards to safeguard funds.
Authorities are urging anyone who receives a similar call to contact their bank directly using official contact information and to verify any officer’s identity through their local police detachment. Fraud and cybercrime incidents can also be reported through the Canadian Anti Fraud Centre’s online reporting system.
Police say such scams continue to target older adults across British Columbia, highlighting the need for community awareness and open conversations with family members about fraud prevention.


