5.21°C Vancouver

Dec 17, 2025 2:51 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh

Burnaby RCMP lay 25 charges in two-month mail theft investigation

Share On
burnaby-rcmp-lay-25-charges-in-two-month-mail-theft-investigation
Burnaby RCMP headquarters in Burnaby, B.C., where investigators with the Prolific Offender Suppression Team conducted a mail theft investigation. (Photo: X Burnaby RCMP)

Burnaby RCMP say a two-month investigation into mail theft has led to charges against five men, following arrests carried out late last year by the detachment’s Prolific Offender Suppression Team.

Police say the investigation focused on a series of break-ins and mail thefts reported across Burnaby. In December 2024, officers arrested six men in connection with the case. The BC Prosecution Service has now approved a total of 25 criminal charges against five of those individuals.

Among those charged is 36-year-old Jake Dela Cruz Capinpin, who faces two counts each of break and enter and theft of mail. Similar charges were approved against Terrence Mathew Ugang, 25, and Flaviano Uayan Dalura, 31, as well as 31-year-old Jaymarc Sibal Malana.

Malana is also charged with additional offences, including possession of property obtained by crime, forgery, possession of identity documents, and possession of a forged document with intent. A fifth accused, 30-year-old Christopher Steven Santos, faces charges related to possession of stolen property, forgery, and possession of identification documents.

Sgt. Jamie Belleville of the Burnaby RCMP’s Prolific Offender Suppression Team said investigations involving organized mail theft can be time-consuming and complex, adding that the team is proud to have advanced the case to the court stage. Police say the matter is now before the courts.

Latest news

IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for
ottawa-expands-express-entry-system-to-include-researchers-and-military-recruits
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Ottawa expands express entry system to include researchers and military recruits

The federal government is expanding Canada’s express entry immigration system to include new permanent residency pathways for researchers, senior managers and certain military recruits, Immigration Minister Lena Diab announced this week. The changes introduce three additional streams under the federal express entry program, aimed at attracting skilled professionals to address labour shortages and support what the minister described as a strategy to bring top talent to Canada. Among those newly eligible are researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience. The transport sector wi
israeli-gunfire-incidents-in-gaza-leave-two-dead-several-injured-amid-medical-evacuation-delays
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Israeli gunfire incidents in Gaza leave two dead, several injured amid medical evacuation delays

Two Palestinians were killed in separate shooting incidents in Gaza on Wednesday, according to local hospital officials, as tensions continue despite a ceasefire announced in mid October. Medical authorities reported that the shootings occurred in the Al Mughraqa area of central Gaza and in Al Mawasi, west of Rafah in the south. At least three other Palestinians were injured in the incidents and taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The violence comes as Israeli forces attempt to restrict movement near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, a critical route for patients seeking urgent medica
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads. The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for
alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals

Related News