15.59°C Vancouver

May 21, 2020 10:46 PM -

B.C.'s minimum wage increase of 75 cents will go ahead as planned: Minister

Share On
b-c-s-minimum-wage-increase-of-75-cents-will-go-ahead-as-planned-minister
Chairs are turned upside down on the bar at a closed restaurant, amid concerns about the spread of the coronavirus, in Vancouver, on Tuesday, March 17, 2020. As some British Columbia businesses prepare to reopen their doors on Tuesday when the province enters the second phase of its COVID-19 restart plan, others say they're holding off while they grapple with new health protocols. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

British Columbia businesses devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic will still have to pay a scheduled increase in the minimum wage next month just as many are struggling to get back in operation.

Labour Minister Harry Bains says the province will push ahead with the planned minimum wage increase on June 1 to $14.60 per hour from $13.85 an hour.

He says the lowest paid workers need money in their pockets to help them support their livelihoods and contribute more dollars to local businesses.

Bains says B.C.'s economic restart plan launched this week after steady declines in COVID-19 cases aims to restore business confidence for employees, employers and customers during the ongoing pandemic.

He says the easing of some health restrictions allows for the full reopening of restaurants, hair salons, dental offices and other personal services, but employers and employees must follow WorkSafeBC guidelines to prevent a second wave of the novel coronavirus.

Bains says businesses can expect random inspections from officials who will be looking to enforce physical distancing requirements and the public posting of safety plans.


Latest news

man-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-in-fatal-coquitlam-pub-stabbing
BCMay 14, 2026

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Coquitlam pub stabbing

A 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing outside a pub in Coquitlam last year, according to homicide investigators. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Timothy Vansnick was originally charged with second-degree murder following the incident on Jan. 31, 2025. Police said the stabbing occurred after a fight outside the pub. Bystanders attempted first aid before emergency responders continued life-saving efforts, but the victim died at the scene. Investigators said Vansnick was charged with second-degree murder on Feb. 1, 2025. On Tuesda
water-restored-in-parts-of-kamloops-but-boil-water-advisory-and-restrictions-remain
BCMay 14, 2026

Water restored in parts of Kamloops, but boil water advisory and restrictions remain

Water service has been restored to parts of Kamloops following a major water main break in the city’s east end, but officials say the supply remains unsafe to drink as repair work continues. The City of Kamloops said potable water trucks will remain stationed at four locations in the affected area through Friday to provide residents with safe drinking water. According to the city, residents are also being asked to temporarily stop using water again until 6 p.m. Thursday while crews complete what officials described as a critical repair to the damaged main. City officials said the temporary s
vancouver-police-seek-public-help-locating-missing-man-last-seen-near-vgh
BCMay 14, 2026

Vancouver police seek public help locating missing man last seen near VGH

Vancouver Police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 30-year-old man who was last seen near Vancouver General Hospital early Thursday morning. According to a Vancouver Police Department release, Sahil Dhallay was last seen around midnight on May 14 in the area of Vancouver General Hospital. Police described Dhallay as a South Asian man who was wearing a brown hospital gown and no shoes at the time he was last seen. Authorities said anyone who sees Dhallay should call 9-1-1 immediately and should not approach him. The case remains under investigation as police continue efforts to l
alberta-court-blocks-separation-petition-over-lack-of-first-nations-consultation
AlbertaMay 14, 2026

Alberta court blocks separation petition over lack of First Nations consultation

An Alberta court has dismissed a petition related to separating the province from Canada, ruling the provincial government failed to meet its duty to consult First Nations before advancing the process. The court said any move toward separation from Canada could directly affect rights protected under Treaties 7 and 8, making consultation with affected Indigenous communities a constitutional requirement. Premier Danielle Smith criticized the ruling, calling it “wrong” and “anti-democratic.” Smith said the provincial government plans to appeal the decision immediately, arguing consultatio
honda-pauses-proposed-15b-ev-project-in-ontario-indefinitely
CanadaMay 14, 2026

Honda pauses proposed $15B EV project in Ontario indefinitely

Honda Motor Co. has indefinitely suspended plans for its proposed $15-billion electric vehicle project in Alliston, Ontario, a move that raises new questions about the pace of Canada’s EV manufacturing expansion. The company announced the decision Thursday, citing changing market conditions and slower consumer demand for electric vehicles. The proposed project was expected to create about 1,000 jobs in the region. Honda said the decision will not affect workers or production at its existing manufacturing facility in Alliston, where current operations will continue as planned. The project had

Related News