21.76°C Vancouver

Aug 19, 2021 10:32 PM -

B.C. reports 689 new COVID-19 cases and two new deaths

Share On
b-c-reports-689-new-covid-19-cases-and-two-new-deaths
B.C.’s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry during a press briefing in Victoria. (Photo - B.C. Govt.)

B.C. is reporting 689 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 158,256 cases in the province.

There are 5,982 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 150,377 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 121 individuals are in hospital and 56 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

In the past 24 hours, two new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,784. The new deaths include:

Interior Health: one

Northern Health: one

There is one new long-term care facility outbreak at Heritage Village (Fraser Health). The outbreak at Discovery Harbour long-term care (Island Health) has been declared over, for a total of 11 active outbreaks, including:

long-term care: Kin Village West Court, Evergreen Baptist Care Society (Fraser Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre and Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health)

acute care: none

assisted or independent living: Nicola Meadows, Hawthorn Park and David Lloyd (Interior Health)

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,280,835 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

As of Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021, 82.9% (3,842,302) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 74.0% (3,431,103) received their second dose.

Latest news

CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his

Related News