16.09°C Vancouver

Sep 22, 2025 6:38 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. public workers' strike expands to liquor, cannabis distribution warehouses

Share On
b-c-public-workers-strike-expands-to-liquor-cannabis-distribution-warehouses
The union has also added five new provincial ministry work sites in Vancouver and Victoria to the strike list, putting the total number of active picket lines across B.C. to 28.(Photo- The Canadian Press)

Liquor and cannabis warehouses in British Columbia are now behind picket lines as public sector workers step up job action to try to pressure the government back to the bargaining table.

The BC General Employees' Union says workers at the Liquor Distribution Branch's headquarters in Burnaby as well as warehouses in Delta, Richmond and Kamloops are now on strike.

The union has also added five new provincial ministry work sites in Vancouver and Victoria to the strike list, putting the total number of active picket lines across B.C. to 28.

The job action in its fourth week now involves more than 10,000 with actions that also include overtime bans, and the union says escalations this week will continue until the province agrees to negotiate.

The union wants wage increases in line with inflation and cost-of-living, while the province says it wants an agreement that's fair to workers and to the public.

Union president Paul Finch says in a statement that strike action targeting front-facing operations such as liquor and cannabis distribution is a last resort to pressure the government.

“Up to now, we’ve focused job action on government operations, while minimizing disruptions for the public,” Finch said. “But with government refusing to come back to the table, we’re left with no choice.

"Public service workers cannot keep falling further behind," he said. "Government’s low offer is essentially telling British Columbians to expect cuts to the services they depend on."

The union began targeting liquor distribution earlier this month with an overtime ban, while it also put workers in the mining sector on the picket lines last week, just as B.C. is moving to fast-track a number of projects.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News