17.51°C Vancouver

Jul 11, 2025 7:19 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. provincial court gives former Mountie probation for Securities Act violations

Share On
b-c-provincial-court-gives-former-mountie-probation-for-securities-act-violations
The ruling posted online this week says Basi promoted investing in the business to his neighbour, who along with a friend each invested $75,000 that they lost when the company failed.(Photo - The Canadian Press)

The British Columbia provincial court has handed a retired RCMP officer a suspended sentence, saying the man was "reckless" but not deceitful when he convinced a neighbour to invest in his failing cannabis company.

The court ruling says six years after Jasvindar Singh Basi retired from the RCMP he incorporated a cannabis company called GrowX Global Corp., and its business plan was "centred" on building a production facility in Mission, B.C.

The ruling posted online this week says Basi promoted investing in the business to his neighbour, who along with a friend each invested $75,000 that they lost when the company failed.

The court decision says Basi didn't file a prospectus as required by provincial securities regulations, and "recklessly assured" his neighbour that the investment was safe and profitable, while failing to reveal that the company "was in significant financial distress."

It says Basi did not tell the two investors that the company didn't have money to pay contractors, was being sued for unpaid debts and that the Mission property was mortgaged for $2.4 million.

The ruling says Basi committed a "serious" offence under the Securities Act but not a criminal one, handing him a suspended sentence, 50 hours of community service, two years probation and ordered him to pay back $147,000 to the investors.

"Basi’s conduct was not motivated by malevolence, greed, or an intention to deceive or defraud," the ruling says. "Basi genuinely believed the business would succeed and invested his own life savings into it."

The victims both told the court that losing their money was "devastating," and that they both trusted Basi because he was a retired police officer.

The court found Basi "created a false sense of urgency" about the investment being time-sensitive by claiming the company was on the verge of going public.

The Crown had sought a three-month prison sentence for Basi, but the judge found that his guilty plea and his genuine remorse were mitigating factors, and that he was of "good character with a long history of pro-social contributions to the community."

The ruling says the offences carried a maximum penalty of $1 million and up to three-years in prison at the time of Basi's violations, but they have since been increased to $5 million and up to five years imprisonment.

The judge's ruling says Basi's offence will not result in a criminal record.

"Accordingly, I must take care not to sentence Mr. Basi as though he were charged with, or convicted of, the criminal offence of fraud," the ruling says. "As a retired police officer, he ought to have known the importance of complying with the regulatory framework set out in the Securities Act."

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News