15.54°C Vancouver

May 15, 2024 3:17 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. needs dedicated, cross-government wildfire strategy: former minister

Share On
b-c-needs-dedicated-cross-government-wildfire-strategy-former-minister
The former member of the legislature for Stikine, who served as forests minister from 2017 to 2020, says the BC Wildfire Service has a strategy but it's about a decade old.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

A former British Columbia forests minister says the province is on the right track as it responds to worsening wildfires, but the scale of the challenge is so great, it's falling behind and needs to prioritize a "whole-of-society" approach.

Doug Donaldson says the place to start should be a dedicated provincial wildfire strategy that lays out responsibilities for each government ministry, while supporting the participation of local communities, civil society and the forest industry.

The former member of the legislature for Stikine, who served as forests minister from 2017 to 2020, says the BC Wildfire Service has a strategy but it's about a decade old.

He says it needs to be updated and "elevated" into a cross-ministry strategy that could launch the province toward the approach it needs to respond to wildfires that are increasingly threatening communities in B.C.

Donaldson is the co-author of a new report released Tuesday from a wildfire-focused research group based at the University of Victoria.

He describes the report as a "snapshot" of wildfire risk and response in B.C. and a "launching pad" for further work.

The report comes as officials keep a close eye on the forecast in northeastern B.C., where wildfires have forced several thousand people out of their homes, including the entire community of 4,700 in Fort Nelson.

The province has said it's working to "modernize" landscape planning and is developing several strategies related to ecological resilience, such as the forthcoming watershed security strategy and ecosystem health framework.

Last fall, Premier David Eby appointed an expert task force on emergencies to advise the province how it could better respond to climate-related disasters. A landscape resilience strategy was among their recommendations.

The devastating wildfire season of 2003 prompted a review with dozens of recommendations for the province after more than 300 homes were destroyed, most of them in Kelowna.

Donaldson said 2003 served as an "initial wake-up call," but fires have only increased in severity, size, and the level of threat they pose to communities.

"Even those in the BC Wildfire Service say we need a provincial wildfire strategy, something that's cross-ministry, cross-government," he said.

The province alone can't handle the scale of the challenge, he added.

"We have to involve all of society, industry, civil society organizations, local government and of course First Nations governments."

Donaldson said climate change is partly to blame for worsening fires, but they're also the result of decades of fire suppression and leaving woody fuels to build up on the landscape while communities push farther into forested areas.

The report from the Wildfire Resilience Project at the university points to the 2021 provincial strategic threat analysis, which found that 39 million hectares or 45 per cent of public land in B.C. is ranked at high or extreme threat of wildfire.

Yet Donaldson said B.C.'s target for prescribed and Indigenous cultural burns is about 5,000 hectares per year. A provincial web page shows just over 2,200 hectares were treated in 23 burns last year, and 61 burns were planned for 2024.

With the cost of such burns ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 per hectare, Donaldson says B.C. needs to look at "innovative economic models" to reduce forest fuels.

That means involving the forest industry, he said. One example could be the reintroduction of broadcast burning, in which a fire is intentionally lit and allowed to spread within predetermined boundaries in an area that's been logged.

Donaldson said he saw the benefits of broadcast burning firsthand during a flight over the massive Plateau fire in B.C.'s central Interior in 2017.

"You could tell the ferocity of the wildfire that went through, and yet there'd be these green plantations, you know, scorched around the perimeter but green."

The area had been harvested in the late 1980s or early 1990s, when broadcast burning was still being used, Donaldson said in an interview on Tuesday.

The practice was stopped in the same era, mainly due to negative public reaction to smoke in communities, he said.

Donaldson said there's also potential to reduce fire risk by changing forestry regulations, such as requirements related to the condition of the landscape after logging.

"If it's a high or extreme wildfire risk block, they can leave it afterwards, no worse," he said. "That regulation could be amended on utilization standards to say, you have to leave it in a less risky state after you finish."

B.C. spent close to $1 billion last year on wildfire suppression, Donaldson added.

"You can see that this is not a sustainable route that we're on."

Latest news

AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Alberta legislature adjourns spring sitting amid separatism debate

Alberta MLAs wrapped up the spring sitting of the legislature this week following months of debate that frequently centred on separatist sentiment and political divisions at the legislature. The sitting included government legislation on issues ranging from public library materials to medical assistance in dying. However, exchanges in question period were often dominated by disagreements over separatism and the role of Premier Danielle Smith’s United Conservative government in responding to the movement. Government House Leader Joseph Schow said the United Conservative Party focused its legi
senior-critically-injured-two-vancouver-police-officers-hurt-after-west-end-vehicle-incident
BCMay 15, 2026

Senior critically injured, two Vancouver police officers hurt after West End vehicle incident

A senior citizen remains in critical condition and two Vancouver Police Department officers were hospitalized after a driver allegedly rammed multiple vehicles and drove through part of Nelson Park in Vancouver’s West End early Friday morning.According to Vancouver police, the incident began around 5:30 a.m. near Comox and Broughton streets when a vehicle was seen driving erratically and striking several objects, including an area near the Nelson Park dog park. Witnesses in the area reportedly moved out of the vehicle’s path to avoid being hit.Police said the injured senior was operating a
man-charged-after-surrey-shooting-that-injured-woman
BCMay 15, 2026

Man charged after Surrey shooting that injured woman

A 31-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service investigation into a November 2025 shooting that injured a woman inside a Surrey residence. Police said frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired at a home near 121 Street and 101B Avenue at about 9:10 p.m. on Nov. 23, 2025. According to Surrey Police Service, a female resident suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh and officers provided emergency medical aid until BC Emergency Health Services arrived. The SPS Major Crime Section led the investigation. Police said investigators identified a suspect and associated
death-toll-rises-to-24-after-russian-missile-strike-on-kyiv-apartment-building-zelenskyy-says
WorldMay 15, 2026

Death toll rises to 24 after Russian missile strike on Kyiv apartment building, Zelenskyy says

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday that the death toll from a Russian missile strike on a Kyiv apartment building has risen to 24, including three children, after emergency crews completed search operations at the site. In posts published on X, Zelenskyy said rescue workers spent more than a day clearing debris from the damaged nine-storey residential building following Thursday’s attack. Ukrainian officials also reported 48 people injured in the broader assault on the capital, including two children. According to the Ukrainian air force, the strike formed part of what offic
911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p

Related News