3.59°C Vancouver

Dec 27, 2024 6:01 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. man faces six impaired driving charges over crash that killed Good Samaritan, 80

Share On
b-c-man-faces-six-impaired-driving-charges-over-crash-that-killed-good-samaritan-80
The 80-year-old man from Red Deer, Alta., had stopped to help a woman whose minivan hit a power pole on Highway 19A around 2:30 a.m. on March 2.(The Canadian Press)

Mounties in British Columbia have approved six impaired driving charges against a 29-year-old man over a crash that killed an elderly Good Samaritan near Qualicum Beach earlier this year.

The 80-year-old man from Red Deer, Alta., had stopped to help a woman whose minivan hit a power pole on Highway 19A around 2:30 a.m. on March 2.

The 36-year-old woman driver was seriously injured and the passerby killed when a third vehicle, driven by a man from Coombs, B.C., crashed into them.

BC Highway Patrol says its investigation has led to six charges including dangerous driving causing death and operating a motor vehicle causing death while impaired by alcohol and cocaine.

Cpl. Michael McLaughlin with BC Highway Patrol says in a news release that there have been "repeated incidents" of people getting hurt or killed while trying to help after a collision.

He says that while the police service "applauds the sentiment of anyone trying to help after a collision," highways are dangerous places and "extreme caution" needs to be exercised.

"BC Highway Patrol will do everything we can to investigate and charge people who choose to drive while impaired by alcohol and drugs," he adds.

The patrol says people should consider whether they have reflective clothing, good footwear and are physically able to help before they stop.

The statement says the best option is often to call 911 or wait for a professional, noting that people involved in minor crashes may be safer waiting for authorities in their car.

But it says that if people have exited their vehicles, the best course of action is to move away from traffic.

In June, a 70-year-old man was killed when he got out of his vehicle to help after a school bus went off Highway 97 near Lac La Hache in the B.C. Interior.

Police said the man was struck by an SUV whose driver could not see around a bend in the highway, and no criminality was involved.

Latest news

new-westminster-police-seize-pills-and-cash-in-queensborough-drug-trafficking-probe
BCFeb 20, 2026

New Westminster police seize pills and cash in Queensborough drug trafficking probe

Police in New Westminster say a targeted drug trafficking investigation has led to the seizure of a significant quantity of pills, other suspected drugs and cash from a property in the Queensborough neighbourhood. According to the New Westminster Police Department, its Street Crime Unit launched the investigation in January and worked alongside another regional policing agency. Officers later executed a search warrant at a residence in Queensborough as part of the ongoing probe. Sgt. Andrew Leaver said drug trafficking and related violence are not tolerated in the city. He noted that the depar
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada advances to gold medal game after 3–2 semifinal win over Finland

Canada is heading to the gold medal game at the Winter Olympics 2026 after defeating Finland 3–2 in a tightly contested men’s hockey semifinal on Saturday. Finland opened the scoring late in the first period when Mikko Rantanen found the back of the net to give his team a 1–0 lead. Early in the second period, Erik Haula extended Finland’s advantage to 2–0, putting pressure on the Canadian squad. Canada responded before the end of the second period. West Vancouver native Sam Reinhart scored on a deflection with five minutes remaining in the frame, cutting the deficit to 2–1 and shif
india-u-s-likely-to-sign-interim-trade-deal-in-march-says-piyush-goyal
IndiaFeb 20, 2026

India, U.S. Likely to Sign Interim Trade Deal in March, Says Piyush Goyal

India’s Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal says an interim trade agreement between India and the United States could be signed as early as March, with implementation expected in April. The minister shared the update on Friday, indicating that negotiations have entered a final legal stage. According to Goyal, officials from both countries are scheduled to meet in the United States starting February 23 for three days of discussions aimed at finalizing the legal framework of the proposed agreement. The interim deal is expected to address tariff issues and market access while broader tr
WorldFeb 20, 2026

Bangladesh restores visa services for Indian nationals days after new government takes office

Bangladesh has reinstated visa services for Indian citizens just three days after a new government led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party took office. Prime Minister Tarique Rahman announced Friday that all visa categories for Indian nationals have been restored, reversing a suspension imposed nearly two months ago. The earlier halt to visa processing had been introduced under the administration of former prime minister Muhammad Yunus. At that time, Bangladeshi authorities cited administrative and diplomatic considerations for pausing services. The decision had affected travellers seeking med
canada-welcomes-u-s-supreme-court-ruling-striking-down-trump-emergency-tariffs-but-sector
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada welcomes U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down Trump emergency tariffs, but sector

Canada’s Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn tariffs imposed under former president Donald Trump’s emergency powers validates Canada’s long-standing position that the measures were unjustified. In a statement responding to the ruling, LeBlanc said the court’s decision confirms Canada’s argument that duties introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act were not legally sound. Ottawa had previously raised concerns that the tariffs created uncertainty for cross-border trade and

Related News