19.73°C Vancouver

Mar 20, 2025 4:53 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. Greens want answers about New Democrats' emergency powers legislation

Share On
b-c-greens-want-answers-about-new-democrats-emergency-powers-legislation
There’s no need for secrecy," Valeriote said. "Decisions should be made openly, not behind closed doors, and the legislature should receive regular reporting on what decisions are being made."(Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia's Green Party says the NDP government needs to "explain why" its proposal for broad-reaching emergency cabinet powers is needed before its two members support the legislation.

Interim Leader Jeremy Valeriote said in a statement that while he understands the "urgency of the situation" given the ongoing trade strife with the United States, the proposed Bill 7 in its current form has "vague wording" and "could allow for sweeping economic decisions without clear limits or transparency."

"There’s no need for secrecy," Valeriote said. "Decisions should be made openly, not behind closed doors, and the legislature should receive regular reporting on what decisions are being made."

The bill was tabled last week and would give B.C.'s cabinet sweeping powers to make regulations that address challenges or anticipated challenges from the actions of a foreign jurisdiction, or for a purpose "supporting the economy of British Columbia and Canada" without requiring a debate in the legislature.

Premier David Eby said it is needed to respond to what he called the "human-caused disaster" of tariffs and other threats from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Valeriote said the Greens will "closely scrutinize this bill," and the party is expected to "propose substantive amendments to ensure transparency, accountability, and fair economic outcomes" in the legislation.

"We’ll be pushing for more clarity in committee discussions and expect ministers to explain why they need these powers and what they plan to do with them," he said.

Eby has said the legislation would give the province the capability to be "nimble" in response to constantly changing tariffs and threats coming from the Trump White House.

"In the face of escalating attacks on our sovereignty that have included threatening to erase the Canada-U. S. border and taking our water, we are not backing down," Eby said in a statement when the bill was introduced last week.

"We are arming ourselves with the tools we need to respond swiftly, break down trade barriers within Canada and strengthen our economy."

The Opposition B.C. Conservative Party has been vocal in its objections to the legislation, with several of its members taking to social media to call it "autocratic" and "undemocratic."

Transportation Critic and Langley-Abbotsford legislative member Harman Bhangu said his office has been "flooded" with emails and phone calls from constituents expressing concern about the cabinet powers the legislation would grant if passed.

"This is really scary," Bhangu said. "It's a blatant power grab, and it should really, really concern a lot of people because this could really undermine local municipalities (and) a lot of other provincial jurisdictions, where it gives them the sweeping power to come in and do whatever they want."


Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News