20.55°C Vancouver

Oct 15, 2024 7:35 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Alberta’s new “Primary Care Alberta” agency to launch next month, aims to improve access to family doctors

Share On
alberta-to-launch-new-primary-care-agency-by-next-month-in-health-overhaul
The Alberta government's dismantling of the health agency is expected to include two more organizations responsible for hospital care and continuing care. (Photo: Twiter/Adriana LaGrange)

Alberta Health Minister Adriana LaGrange says the province’s new Primary Care Alberta agency - tasked with improving access to family doctors and nurse practitioners - will be operational by next month as part of the government’s major overhaul of the province’s health system.

The new organization will focus on strengthening primary care delivery, developing new models of patient-centred care, and expanding after-hours access through virtual services. LaGrange said the move is designed to ensure Albertans can get timely access to medical care, especially in communities struggling with doctor shortages and long wait times.

“Primary Care Alberta will give us a focused approach to ensuring every Albertan has access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner,” LaGrange said, noting that Alberta Health Services (AHS) has been too stretched to manage primary health care effectively.

The establishment of this agency comes as the province continues to break up AHS into four distinct entities, each overseeing a separate area of health care - primary care, hospital care, continuing care, and mental health and addictions.

Earlier this year, Recovery Alberta was launched to manage mental health and addictions services, marking the first phase of Premier Danielle Smith’s plan to decentralize AHS and improve accountability in the health system.

Health policy experts and frontline providers are watching closely to see whether the changes will deliver more localized, efficient care or add layers of bureaucracy. The Alberta Medical Association has said that while the reforms have potential, success will depend on funding and coordination among the new agencies.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News