21.73°C Vancouver

Nov 27, 2024 1:07 PM - The Canadian Press

Alberta invoking Sovereignty Act in fight against Ottawa’s proposed emissions cap

Share On
alberta-invoking-sovereignty-act-in-fight-against-ottawas-proposed-emissions-cap
The Alberta Sovereignty Within a United Canada Act was designed to protect our province from unconstitutional interference, and now we’re going to use it again.”

Call it the Sovereignty Act edition of the “Scrap the Cap” campaign.Alberta’s UCP government is bringing a motion to the legislature that argues Ottawa proposed cap on oil and gas emissions is unconstitutional.

“We’re fighting back with every weapon in our arsenal,” Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said Tuesday. “The Alberta Sovereignty Within a United Canada Act was designed to protect our province from unconstitutional interference, and now we’re going to use it again.”

Smith says the federal cap would cripple Alberta’s oil and gas economy and the province has a constitutional right to develop its resources.

Alberta already bought $7 million worth of ads demanding the cap be scrapped – a campaign aimed at informing Canadians about the negative ramifications of the proposed cap, which Smith has claimed is “ideological” and “irresponsible.”

Now the UCP will use its Sovereignty Act to push back against what the governing UCP says is a production cap on the province’s oil and gas sector. The Alberta premier says any of the suggested changes would first need approval by a majority vote in the legislature.

This is the second use of the Sovereignty Act. The first happened about a year ago to fight Ottawa’s plan for a net-zero electricity grid by 2035.

“Well look, they’ve pushed us to the limit,” Smith explained. “We’ve been trying to negotiate with them now ever since the moment I’ve had my first conversation with Justin Trudeau where I told him that we want to align on their objectives to meet carbon neutrality by 2050.”

Premier Smith’s motion plans to include a legal challenge to the cap, passing legislation to give the province exclusive authority over emissions data and banning federal employees from designated oil and gas facilities.

Latest news

AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint

Related News