20.88°C Vancouver

Oct 17, 2024 2:37 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Alberta government shifts continuing care from Health to Seniors Ministry

Share On
alberta-government-shifts-continuing-care-from-health-to-seniors-ministry
Nixon says details about the new agency, such as what it will be called and when it will be operational, are still being finalized. (Photo: Twiter/@AdrianaLaGrange)

The Alberta government has announced that long-term care and supportive living programs will no longer fall under the provincial Health Ministry, as part of its ongoing restructuring of Alberta’s health-care system.

Instead, responsibility for continuing care programs will move to Seniors and Social Services Minister Jason Nixon, the province confirmed Friday. The change is part of Premier Danielle Smith’s plan to divide Alberta Health Services (AHS) into four new agencies, each handling specific aspects of health care. One of these agencies will focus exclusively on continuing care, which includes services for seniors and individuals requiring long-term medical support.

Minister Jason Nixon said the details of the new agency - including its name, mandate, and launch date - are still being finalized. “This transition will ensure Alberta’s seniors receive focused and responsive care, supported by a system that understands their unique needs,” Nixon said.

Earlier this week, Health Minister Adriana LaGrange introduced Primary Care Alberta, the agency now responsible for overseeing family physicians and nurse practitioners. Another agency, Recovery Alberta, has already taken charge of the mental health and addictions portfolio previously managed by AHS.

The restructuring marks one of the biggest changes to Alberta’s health-care administration in decades, with the government promising that the overhaul will improve patient access and reduce bureaucracy. However, health policy experts and senior advocacy groups say the transition must be handled carefully to avoid confusion and service disruptions - particularly for families relying on long-term and assisted living programs in cities such as Calgary, Edmonton, and Red Deer.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News