21.11°C Vancouver

Oct 31, 2024 12:42 PM - The Canadian Press

8 of 11 members of Mexico's Supreme Court to resign in protest of controversial judicial overhaul

Share On
8-of-11-members-of-mexicos-supreme-court-to-resign-in-protest-of-controversial-judicial-overhaul
Supreme Court President Norma Piña and seven others submitted letters Tuesday and Wednesday stating they would leave their posts rather than compete in judicial elections scheduled for next June.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Eight justices of Mexico’s Supreme Court have said they will leave the court rather than stand for election as required by a controversial judicial overhaul passed last month.

Supreme Court President Norma Piña and seven others submitted letters Tuesday and Wednesday stating they would leave their posts rather than compete in judicial elections scheduled for next June.

The court’s three other justices have indicated they will compete in the elections. Previously, the Supreme Court’s justices were selected by the Senate.

Last month,Mexico’s Congress passed and a majority of states ratified then-President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s initiative to make all of the country’s judges subject to election.

López Obrador and his allies, including his successor Claudia Sheinbaum, have saidthe radical change will help rid the judicial system of corruption. However, critics say the courts will become less independent and more subject to political forces.

The resignations came before the Congress’ lower chamber later Wednesday passed yet another constitutional change that would protect constitutional amendments like the judicial overhaul from legal challenges. The Supreme Court is scheduled to take up such a challenge in the coming the days.

The amendment passed with 343 votes in favor and 129 against. The Senate had previously passed the legislation.

Business sectors in particular had voiced concerns that the change would weaken the rule of law. The Mexican Employers’ Association, Coparmex, had said in a statement before the vote that the initiative “puts at risk the fundamental guarantees that have protected citizens for decades.”

López Obrador clashed throughout his six-year term with the courts as they repeatedly knocked down some of his initiatives. He railed against judges in his daily morning press briefings and Sheinbaum, his protégé, has continued in a similar vein.

Sheinbaum had quipped Tuesday that if the Supreme Court justices didn’t resign now before the close of judicial candidate registration in November they could lose their pensions. “It’s a lot of money,” she said.

Latest news

CanadaAug 10, 2026

Montreal man charged over alleged threats against Prime Minister Carney

A 51-year-old Montreal man, Mark Porlier, has been charged with allegedly making threats against Prime Minister Mark Carney. According to the RCMP, Porlier made a violent and threatening comment about the prime minister in an email sent to a Canadian senator and several other people. The RCMP’s federal policing unit began investigating on Aug. 5 after receiving a complaint. Porlier was subsequently taken into custody and appeared in a Montreal court on Aug. 8. Police charged him under Section 264.1 of the Criminal Code with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm. The RCMP said statem
liberal-mp-shaun-chen-announces-resignation-citing-health-concerns
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Liberal MP Shaun Chen announces resignation, citing health concerns

Liberal MP Shaun Chen has announced he will resign his seat in the House of Commons, citing health concerns following a car accident last year. Chen has represented Scarborough North since 2015. He said he plans to leave Parliament by the end of this month. His resignation comes as several federal MPs from major parties have left office before the end of their terms this year. Three federal byelections are scheduled for Aug. 31 in ridings previously represented by former Liberal ministers Jonathan Wilkinson and Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, and Conservative MP Richard Martel. The federal government
targeted-shooting-in-surreys-whalley-area-leaves-one-person-injured
BCAug 10, 2026

Targeted shooting in Surrey’s Whalley area leaves one person injured

A person was injured in a targeted shooting outside a home in Surrey’s Whalley area late Friday night. According to the Surrey Police Service, officers responded to the area of 88 Avenue and 127 Street at about 11:45 p.m. and found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound. The suspect had left the scene before police arrived. BC Emergency Health Services transported the victim to hospital. Police say the person’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. The Surrey Police Service Major Crime Section is investigating. Police say their initial investigation indicates the shooting appear
ottawa-launches-100m-steel-freight-rebate-to-support-domestic-producers
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Ottawa launches $100M steel freight rebate to support domestic producers

The federal government is launching a $100-million rebate program to reduce the cost of shipping eligible Canadian steel products between provinces and territories, as domestic producers face pressure from tariffs and changing trade conditions. According to the federal government, the program will cover 50 per cent of eligible freight costs for manufacturers moving qualifying steel products by rail or marine transport within Canada. Transportation Minister Steven MacKinnon announced the program Monday. The government says the measure is intended to encourage Canadian manufacturers that use ste
netanyahu-rejects-gaza-plan-says-israeli-forces-will-not-withdraw-until-hamas-is-disarmed
WorldAug 10, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Gaza plan, says Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is disarmed

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected a 15-point plan for Gaza proposed by the U.S. president, saying Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed. Speaking during a cabinet meeting Sunday, Netanyahu said Israel does not accept the document in its current form. He said Hamas must be disarmed in practice, not merely on paper, and that Israel would continue taking action to prevent threats to its soldiers and civilians. Netanyahu said Israel is in discussions with U.S. officials about the next phase of its strategy. He said some U.S. proposals are acceptable to

Related News