16.29°C Vancouver

Aug 19, 2024 3:56 PM - The Associated Press

1 dead and 6 missing after luxury superyacht sinks in storm off Sicily

Share On
1-dead-and-6-missing-after-luxury-superyacht-sinks-in-storm-off-sicily
The 56-meter (184-foot) British-flagged “Bayesian,” was known for its unusually single 75-meter (246-feet) mast, one of the world’s tallest made of aluminum. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

A luxury superyacht carrying foreign tourists capsized and sank off Sicily in bad weather early Monday. One body was found, six people remain missing and 15 people were rescued, authorities said.

The ship had overturned around 5 a.m. off the port of Porticello, where it was apparently anchored. It had a crew of 10 people and 12 passengers, including British, American and Canadian nationalities, the Italian coast guard said. Local media said a sudden fierce storm, including tornados over water known as waterspouts, had battered the area overnight but skies were clear and seas calm by Monday morning.

The 56-meter (184-foot) British-flagged “Bayesian,” was known for its unusually single 75-meter (246-feet) mast, one of the world’s tallest made of aluminum. The online sites list it for charter for up to 195,000 euros (about $215,000) a week.

Eight of the people initially rescued and taken to shore at Porticello, near Palermo, were hospitalized. One body was found near the wreck, but six others were unaccounted for, said Luca Cari, a spokesperson for the Italian fire rescue service.

Rescue crews located the ship at a depth of 50 meters (163 feet) off Porticello and experienced deep-water police divers were trying to access the hull, Cari said. The operations, which were visible from shore, involved helicopters and rescue boats from the coast guard, fire rescue and civil protection service.

The seven who had not made it so far included one crew member and six passengers, the coast guard said.

The yacht, built in 2008 by the Italian firm Perini Navi, can accommodate 12 passengers in four double cabins, a triple and the master suite, plus crew accommodations, according to Charter World and Yacht Charters.

The vessel, which previously was named the “Salute” when it flew under a Dutch flag, featured a sleek, minimalist interior of light wood with Japanese accents designed by the French designer Remi Tessier, according to descriptions and photos on the sites.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News