18.05°C Vancouver

News

canada-day-ceremony-today-saw-19-people-becoming-proud-canadian-citizens
CanadaJul 01, 2020

Canada Day ceremony today saw 19 people becoming proud Canadian citizens

A special virtual Canada Day ceremony today saw 19 people from 13 different countries becoming proud Canadian citizens. The new Canadians range in age from six to 66, with the swearing of the oath and remarks from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and former governor general Adrienne Clarkson streamed on YouTube. Canada Day citizenship ceremonies are a hallmark of the holiday. But the COVID-19 pandemic has forced them online, with more than a thousand virtual events held since April 1st.
BCJul 01, 2020

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge thank B.C. health workers on Canada Day

Health workers at BC's Surrey Memorial Hospital received a royal thank you today, as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge spoke with them via video call about their experiences working during the COVID-19 pandemic. Prince William and his wife Kate told Fraser Health staff their work is appreciated. William said he's proud of how frontline staff have led the way stoically and bravely, putting patient care at the ``top of the list.'' Kate also praised the workers, saying they are playing a ``hugely tough'' role.
trudeau-on-canada-day-canadians-have-been-there-for-one-another
CanadaJul 01, 2020

Trudeau on Canada Day: Canadians have been there for one another

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Canada Day statement touches on issues confronting everyone due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Large celebrations in many parts of the nation are being replaced with backyard barbecues and digital events due to COVID-19. That includes the annual pomp and pageantry on Parliament Hill. It's going online to keep crowds from gathering. The Ottawa shows will be streamed at midday and in the evening, followed by virtual fireworks. Trudeau's statement talks about the need to ensure "every senior has a safe place to live" after reports of appalling conditions in long-term c
hong-kong-police-make-first-arrests-under-new-security-law
WorldJul 01, 2020

Hong Kong police make first arrests under new security law

Hong Kong police have made the first arrests under a new national security law imposed by mainland China, as thousands of people defied tear gas and pepper pellets to protest against it. Police say they arrested 10 people under the law, including at least one who was carrying a Hong Kong independence flag. The law, which took effect Tuesday night, makes activities deemed subversive or secessionist punishable by up to life in prison. It appears directly aimed at activities that occurred during anti-government demonstrations last year. The 10 people arrested under the new law are among about 37
pm-did-not-speak-on-border-tensions-fuel-price-hike-during-address-to-nation-iyc
IndiaJul 01, 2020

PM did not speak on border tensions, fuel price hike during address to nation: IYC

Indian Youth Congress (IYC) on Tuesday said that Prime Minister Narendra did not speak on India-China border tensions, unemployment, increasing price of petrol and diesel and "businesses going down" during his address to the nation."As expected, Prime Minister once again mute on China! Why?" IYC said in a tweet."Nothing on dispute with China, nothing on impact of petrol and diesel prices, nothing on businesses going down and nothing on young people who are unemployed. Modiji came and gave a rehearsed, prepared speech," it said in another tweet.Referring to government decision of banning 59 Chi
286-new-covid-19-cases-reported-in-canada
CanadaJul 01, 2020

286 new COVID-19 cases reported in Canada

There are 104,204 confirmed cases in Canada. Quebec: 55,458 confirmed (including 5,503 deaths, 24,798 resolved) Ontario: 35,068 confirmed (including 2,672 deaths, 30,344 resolved) Alberta: 8,108 confirmed (including 154 deaths, 7,405 resolved) British Columbia: 2,916 confirmed (including 174 deaths, 2,590 resolved) Nova Scotia: 1,062 confirmed (including 63 deaths, 998 resolved) Saskatchewan: 785 confirmed (including 13 deaths, 684 resolved) Manitoba: 314 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 300 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 261 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 258 resolved) Ne
BCJul 01, 2020

Police asking for additional victims to come forward related to Pemberton child sex assault investigation

Police have released a photo of man charged in a historical child sexual assault investigation in Pemberton and Whistler in hopes of uncovering any further victims. RCMP say they began the investigation in March into alleged incidents that occurred between 2007 and 2018 in the two communities involving two victims. 50 year old Roger Amadio Molinaro of Whistler was charged in April with multiple offences including two counts of sexual assault under the age of 16. Staff Sergeant Paul Hayes says the Mounties are asking any additional victims to come forward.
12-new-covid-19-cases-no-new-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJun 30, 2020

12 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia."Today, we are announcing 12 new cases, for a total of 2,916 cases in British Columbia."There are 152 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 2,590 people who tested positive have recovered."Of the total COVID-19 cases, 18 individuals are hospitalized, four of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation. "Tomorrow, as we all celebr
CanadaJun 30, 2020

City council approves the temporary bylaw for mandatory face coverings in Toronto

Starting July 7th, face coverings will be mandatory in all public indoor settings in Toronto. City council approved the temporary bylaw this afternoon on the recommendation of the city's medical officer of health to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Doctor Eileen de Villa will review the need for the bylaw on a monthly basis. Mayor John Tory says the temporary bylaw does not affect social gatherings but will apply to public spaces including stores and other businesses. Face coverings made mandatory on all public transit across Quebec Starting July 13th, face coverings will be mandatory on all p

Just In

poilievre-unveils-action-plan-to-combat-extortion-during-surrey-visit
BCAug 20, 2025

Poilievre unveils action plan to combat extortion during Surrey visit

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre unveiled a three-point action plan to combat extortion-related crime during a press conference held today at the Royal King Banquet Hall in Surrey -the same location where a shooting incident took place on July 21, 2025. Flanked by Abbotsford–South Langley MP Sukhman Gill, and candidates Sukh Pandher and Jassie Sahota (a police officer), Poilievre said extortion-related crimes have surged by 330% under Liberal rule. He attributed this rise to the repeal of mandatory jail terms for gun-related extortion under Bills C-5 and C-75. “Extortion-related
police-say-man-charged-after-alberta-youth-launch-catch-a-predator-scheme
AlbertaAug 20, 2025

Police say man charged after Alberta youth launch 'catch a predator' scheme

Alberta RCMP say they have arrested and charged a Calgary man who, it was later determined, had been the focus of a ``catch a predator'' sting operation hatched by a group of youngsters. Mounties say the situation came to light in Airdrie on Monday night when a 12-year-old boy was abducted in a car only to escape at a stoplight and call police. The suspect, a 37-year-old, refused to stop for police and was later arrested at a Calgary residence. Subsequently, police said they learned the suspect had been targeted by at least seven youths in a ``catch a predator'' scheme. The you
some-evacuation-orders-alerts-linked-to-vancouver-island-wildfire-lifted
BCAug 20, 2025

Some evacuation orders, alerts linked to Vancouver Island wildfire lifted

Some of the evacuation orders and alerts linked to the Mount Underwood wildfire on Vancouver Island have been lifted or downgraded, as firefighters report "minimal" behaviour from the blaze. The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, the City of Port Alberni and the Tseshaht First Nation jointly issued an update at 8 a.m. saying evacuation orders are lifted for the China Creek Campground and Headquarters Bay, which remain on evacuation alert. The update also says that the City of Port Alberni and the Tseshaht First Nation's reserves are no longer under alert. The Cowichan Valley Regional Distric
police-watchdog-investigates-after-vancouver-officer-shoots-man-dead
BCAug 20, 2025

Police watchdog investigates after Vancouver officer shoots man dead

British Columbia's police watchdog is investigating after a man was shot dead in an alleged confrontation with officers in Vancouver. The Independent Investigations Office says the shooting took place Tuesday afternoon in an East Vancouver neighbourhood. It says there was a dispute between two people, and one man had a weapon when police arrived. The man was shot by police and died at the scene despite life-saving efforts by emergency responders. Vancouver police say the two people involved were neighbours involved in an argument. Police say no officers or other people were injured, and no fur
AlbertaAug 20, 2025

Costs of Manitoba’s extreme wildfire season start to take shape, evacuations ongoing

The Manitoba government has signed a 30-million-dollar contract with the Canadian Red Cross for evacuee support and other services related to this year's wildfires. The recently disclosed contract is the first glimpse into the cost of this year's wildfire season, which provincial officials say is the most severe in at least 30 years. Finance Minister Adrien Sala (SAH'-lah) says it's still too early to estimate a final cost, and the government is committed to supporting people who need help. The Red Cross contract alone is worth more than half of the 50-million dollars the N-D-P gover