19.42°C Vancouver

News

bc-supreme-court-judge-to-sentence-on-july-7ththe-man-convicted-of-stabbing-two-young-girls-and-killing-one-of-them
BCJun 26, 2021

B.C. Supreme Court judge to sentence on July 7th the man convicted of stabbing two young girls and killing one of them

A BC Supreme Court judge says she will hand down sentencing on July 7th for the man convicted of stabbing two young girls inside an Abbotsford high school killing one of them. Gabriel Klein was convicted of second-degree murder in the death of 13-year-old Letisha Reimer and aggravated assault in the stabbing of her friend. The murder conviction brings an automatic life sentence, but the judge must determine when Klein will be eligible for parole. The defence told the court Klein should be eligible after 12 years, while the Crown says he should have to serve a minimum of 18 years.
joy-and-sorrow-amid-boys-dramatic-rescue-mothers-death
WorldJun 25, 2021

Joy and sorrow amid boy's dramatic rescue, mother's death

The heartening rescue of a boy from the rubble of a partially collapsed condo building outside Miami has been tempered by grief over his mother's death. Jonah Handler was rescued alive early Thursday amid piles of steel and concrete that were left after the building's collapse. Officials say there are still 159 people unaccounted for after the partial collapse of a beachside building in Florida. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava noted Friday that rescue officials are still searching for survivors. She says there's still hope of finding people alive in the rubble more than 24 hours after t
council-approves-electric-kick-scooter-pilot-project
BCJun 25, 2021

Council approves electric kick scooter pilot project

City Council has approved the personal use of privately-owned electric kick scooters throughout Vancouver on minor streets (without lane lines or directional dividing lines) and protected bike lanes as part of a provincially led pilot program.People using electric kick scooters must follow the same rules as cyclists and be at least 16 years old. Eligible scooters must meet provincial requirements, including being limited to speeds below 24km/h. A driver’s licence and insurance are not required. Rentals and shared programs are not part of the pilot at this time but may be considered in the fu
chauvin-gets-22-1-2-years-in-prison-for-george-floyds-death
WorldJun 25, 2021

Chauvin gets 22 1/2 years in prison for George Floyd's death

Judge Peter Cahill told George Floyd's family members that ``I acknowledge and hear the pain that you're feeling,'' before sentencing a former Minneapolis police officer to 22 1/2 years in prison for murder. Cahill said he would issue a 22-page memorandum explaining his rationale for the sentence, saying it's ``not the appropriate time'' to be ``profound or clever.'' His sentence went 10 years beyond what was called for in sentencing guidelines. Cahill said that was ``based on your abuse of a position of trust and authority and also the particular cruelty shown to George Floyd.'' Former Minn
b-c-doctor-wants-action-to-prevent-children-falling-from-windows
BCJun 25, 2021

B.C. doctor wants action to prevent children falling from windows

Two children have died in BC after falling from windows this year, and that has a pediatric neurosurgeon urging parents to take precautions, especially as a heat wave is forecast for the province. But Doctor Ash Singhal says the provincial government should also require the construction industry to restrict openings of windows to protect kids. He notes that along with the fatalities, several other kids have been treated at BC Children's Hospital for injuries suffered in falls. The National Research Council accepted a proposal by the City of Calgary last year to change the national building co
meng-loses-publication-ban-request-on-hsbc-materials-obtained-via-hong-kong-court
BCJun 25, 2021

Meng loses publication ban request on HSBC materials obtained via Hong Kong court

The Supreme Court of British Columbia has dismissed an application for a publication ban from Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou on new evidence that her legal team wants to introduce in her fight against extradition to the United States. Legal counsel for a media consortium including The Canadian Press that opposed the ban advises that the application has been dismissed, but the reasons for the decision have not been provided to CP or reviewed by it and they have not been publicly released. Meng's lawyers obtained the new material from HSBC through an agreement in a Hong Kong court t
religious-group-says-it-will-release-residential-school-records
CanadaJun 25, 2021

Religious group says it will release residential school records

The Catholic religious community that operated residential schools in Saskatchewan and British Columbia where hundreds of unmarked graves have been found says it will disclose all historical documents it has.The Missionary of Oblates of Mary Immaculate operated 48 schools, including the Marieval Indian Residential School at on the Cowessess First Nation in Saskatchewan and the Kamloops Indian Residential School in B.C.In a statement, the Oblates say they have worked to make historical documents available through universities, archives and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.They say the w
two-more-extreme-right-wing-groups-join-proud-boys-on-canadas-terror-list
CanadaJun 25, 2021

Two more extreme right-wing groups join Proud Boys on Canada's terror list

The Trudeau government is adding two more extreme right-wing groups and an American neo-Nazi to its list of terrorist entities as it tries to counter the rise white nationalist violence.Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announced today that the Three Percenters and Aryan Strikeforce will join the list alongside the Proud Boys, who were added in February after the storming of Capitol Hill in Washington on Jan. 6.Members of the Three Percenters have been linked to a plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan, and senior intelligence officials say Canadian chapters have carried out training activit
told-pm-we-dont-stand-with-what-was-done-on-aug-5-2019-omar-abdullah
IndiaJun 25, 2021

'Told PM we don't stand with what was done on Aug 5, 2019': Omar Abdullah

Vice President of JandK National Congress, Omar Abdullah shared his reaction after attending all party meeting. According to Omar Abdullah,"We told PM that we don't stand with what was done on 5th Aug 2019. We're not ready to accept it. But we won't take law into hands. We'll fight this in court. We also told PM that there's been breach of trust between State and Centre. It's Centre's duty to restore it". He also added,"All leaders demanded full statehood for JandK. Both PM and Home Minister said the work for elections and restoring statehood should start soon. Azad Sahib said that first stat

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri