WorldJul 07, 2022
Boris Johnson Resigns, to Stay British PM Until New Leader Elected
Following mass resignations by Cabinet members which started on Wednesday and the numbers of resignations were increased to more than 50 on the second day that compelled Boris Johnson to step down as British Prime Minister.
However, Johnson could continue to remain in office until October when the Conservative party meets for its annual conference so that his replacement is found.
Almost 30 UK government officials, including key figures like UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid and Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak, have already submitted their resignations over the recent scandal involving f
AlbertaJul 07, 2022
Calgary converting more empty offices in into housing
City officials in Calgary say two more downtown buildings will see vacant office space repurposed into residential housing.
It is part of a program announced last summer that aims to infuse life into largely emptyor underutilized office buildings in the downtown core.
The area has the greatest amount of empty office space in Calgary's downtown and three similar projects were announced in April.
It is part of Calgary's Downtown Calgary Development Incentive Program. The Downtown Calgary Incentive Program is a critical part of our revitalization strategy,” said Mayor Jyoti Gondek in a release.
AlbertaJul 07, 2022
Edmonton Man sentenced to 15.5 years for kidnapping, sexually assaulting an eight year old girl
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to fifteen and a half years for kidnapping, confining and sexually assaulting an eight-year-old girl in 2020.
Wade Stene learned his fate yesterday afternoon after pleading guilty to the charges in February.
Justice Susan Richardson says the crime was planned, predatory and brazen, noting Stene has not shown that he is truly remorseful.
The girl's family says the past two years have been impossibly hard and thanked the Edmonton Police Service, the Stollery Children's Hospital and the Zebra Child Protection Centre for their support.
BCJul 07, 2022
Delta police searching for a person after Pride Flag at a Church damaged
Delta police are searching for the person responsible for damaging a Pride Flag hung from a United Church entranceway. Police say the suspect, believed to be a man in his 50's, hid his face and tried to cover up the church surveillance camera before striking the flag multiple times with a pole early yesterday morning. They say they believe the pole had some form of a sharp edge at the tip because the flag was torn in multiple locations. Police say multiple City of Delta Pride Flags attached to light standards in the area suffered similar damage. Click the link to watch video: https://deltapol
BCJul 07, 2022
VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack, video released
Vancouver Police are investigating after two people were slashed with a machete outside a Downtown Eastside hotel last month, and are asking anyone with information to call police. Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets."We don’t know if there was a motive for this attack," says Constable Tania Visintin. "Investigators believe it was completely random and unprovoked, and they want
BCJul 06, 2022
Won't be running for the leadership of the BC New Democrats: Ravi Kahlon
Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon says he won't be running for the leadership of the BC New Democrats, but he says he would support David Eby, if the attorney general decided to seek the party's top job. Eby has not announced his leadership intentions, but in a social media message posted this morning, Kahlon says he admires Eby's integrity and passion. Kahlon says he and his family have decided now is not the time for him to seek the leadership, but he believes Eby is the right person to be BC's next premier. No one has yet declared plans to replace Premier John Horgan, who announced last month that
BCJul 06, 2022
Someone who bought a lottery ticket in Vancouver is $15 million richer, but ticket set to expire soon
Someone who bought a Lotto Max lottery ticket in Vancouver is 15 million dollars richer, but they will have to act quickly if they hope to collect the windfall. The BC Lottery Corporation says the ticket was purchased in August last year and the prize winners have 52 weeks to come forward, or they will forfeit the cash. The ticket was for the August 13, 2021, Lotto Max draw and carried the winning numbers of 1-14-17-20-28-32 and 38. So far this year, BC players have redeemed more than 64-million dollars from Lotto Max payouts.
WorldJul 06, 2022
Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
The man charged with killing seven people at an Independence Day parade confessed to police that he unleashed a hail of bullets from a rooftop in suburban Chicago and then fled to the Madison, Wisconsin, area, where he contemplated shooting up an event there. That's according to authorities who spoke Wednesday. Robert Crimo III turned back to Illinois, where he was later arrested after deciding he was not prepared to pull off a shooting in Wisconsin. An Illinois judge ordered Crimo to be held without bail. A prosecutor said police found the shells of 83 bullets and three ammunition magazines
BCJul 06, 2022
Three die in head-on crash along Trans-Canada Highway through B.C.'s Shuswap region
RCMP are investigating a head-on crash in British Columbia's Shuswap region that left three people dead. A statement from Chase RCMP says police were called to an area along the Trans-Canada Highway near Sorrento Tuesday afternoon. It says all the occupants of both vehicles died at the scene. Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay. The BC Coroners Service and police continue to investigate.