25.3°C Vancouver

News

coquihalla-highway-reopens-to-essential-commercial-traffic
BCDec 20, 2021

Coquihalla Highway reopens to essential commercial traffic

The Coquihalla Highway (Highway 5) has reopened between Hope and Merritt to essential commercial vehicles only following a month of extensive repairs.The highway was closed by multiple washouts on Nov. 14, 2021."The people who build and maintain roads in B.C. have a reputation second to none, and their response to the recent disaster has been remarkable," said Rob Fleming, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. "Ministry teams, maintenance contractors and hundreds of workers going flat out in challenging conditions have allowed us to reopen the Coquihalla Highway today, giving B.C.’s
british-columbias-new-covid-19-restrictions-to-curb-omicron-variant-come-into-effect
BCDec 20, 2021

British Columbia's new COVID-19 restrictions to curb Omicron variant come into effect

New COVID-19 restrictions ranging from audience capacities on large venues to the number of people able to attend indoor gatherings are in effect today.The health measures are scheduled to last until Jan. 31.Health officials say the restrictions, which also include the cancellation of all New Year's Eve parties, are being implemented over fears of the Omicron variant overwhelming B.C. hospitals.Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the Omicron variant is adding new and more complex challenges to managing the pandemic.B.C. reported 302 cases of the Omicron variant on Friday, up fr
b-c-reports-789-new-covid-19-cases-as-number-of-omicron-cases-rise-to-302
BCDec 18, 2021

B.C. reports 789 new COVID-19 cases as number of Omicron cases rise to 302

B.C. is reporting 789 new cases of COVID-19, including four epi-linked cases, for a total of 225,785 cases in the province.There are 4,313 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,960 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 191 individuals are in hospital and 74 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,399.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: oneVancouver Coastal Health: oneNorthern Health: oneThere have been 302 cases of the Omicron
govt-providing-up-to-one-million-dollars-in-funding-for-commercial-livestock-producers-affected-by-recent-floods-lana-popham
BCDec 18, 2021

Govt. providing up to one-million dollars in funding for commercial livestock producers affected by recent floods: Lana Popham

BC's minister of agriculture says the government is providing up to one-million dollars in funding for commercial livestock producers affected by recent floods to buy emergency food supplies for their animals. Lana Popham says the government is working in collaboration with the BC Cattlemen's Association and the B-C Forage Council to deliver the program and help farmers resume operations. Producers that are eligible for the program are being asked to contact the program partners to complete an application for funding. The ministry has previously reported that 630 thousand chickens, 420 cattle
small-earthquake-recorded-in-lower-mainland-early-this-morning
BCDec 17, 2021

Small earthquake recorded in lower mainland early this morning

BC's coast experienced an small earthquake early this morning. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.5 quake happened at 4:13 A-M in the Strait of Georgia, 43 kilometres southwest of Vancouver. It says no reports of damage have been made, and none are expected. The U.S. Geological Survey says it happened at a depth of 17.3 kilometres.
environment-canada-expanding-its-weather-warnings-for-much-of-south-and-central-bc
BCDec 17, 2021

Environment Canada expanding its weather warnings for much of south and central BC

Environment Canada has expanded its weather warnings for much of south and central B-C as strong winds and heavy snowstorms are expected to start today and continue into the weekend. It says areas of the central and north coasts could get up to 40 centimetres of snow, while Squamish, Whistler and the Sea-to-Sky corridor are expecting between 25 and 35 centimetres. Winter storm and snowfall warnings have also been issued for areas including East Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast and the Fraser Canyon, and heavy snow is expected in the southern Interior, Cariboo and the Kootenays this weeken
b-c-implementing-restrictions-as-omicron-cases-rise
BCDec 17, 2021

B.C. implementing restrictions as Omicron cases rise

British Columbia is placing restrictions on events and gatherings until the end of January in an effort to limit the fast-spreading COVID-19 Omicron variant.Measures range from limits on venues that hold more than 1,000 people to 50 per cent capacity to no amateur sports tournaments over the Christmas period and the cancellation of all New Year's Eve parties.The Health Ministry says indoor gatherings, including those at rental or holiday properties, are also being limited to one household, plus 10 guests, and everyone must be vaccinated. The B.C. Vaccine card program must be used at all events
capacity-limits-return-at-ontario-restaurants-retailers-as-omicron-surges
CanadaDec 17, 2021

Capacity limits return at Ontario restaurants, retailers as Omicron surges

Ontario is reintroducing capacity limits at restaurants, bars and retailers, and capping indoor social gatherings at 10 people in an effort to slow the spread of the Omicron variant. The province is also limiting outdoor gatherings to 25, and prohibiting food and drink consumption at sports arenas, cinemas and other large venues. The new rules come into effect first thing Sunday morning, and don't apply to facilities hosting weddings, funerals or religious services. Premier Doug Ford is making the announcement a day after the province's science advisers said a ramped-up booster campaign would
all-confirmed-cases-of-the-omicron-variant-in-canada-are-mild-or-asymptomatic-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaDec 17, 2021

All confirmed cases of the Omicron variant in Canada are mild or asymptomatic: Dr. Theresa Tam

Canada's chief public health officer says all confirmed cases of the Omicron variant in Canada are mild or asymptomatic. But Dr. Theresa Tam says most of the 300 plus Canadians who have contracted the variant are younger, and even a milder version of COVID-19 version could wreak havoc at a societal level. Tam says both vaccinated and unvaccinated people have tested positive for the Omicron variant. But she stresses that being fully vaccinated and then getting a booster is expected to provide reasonable protection against infection and likely strong protection against severe illness.

Just In

BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre invites Iran’s exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has invited Iran’s former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada and said he plans to meet with him virtually to discuss democracy and the safety of the Iranian diaspora. Speaking at a Persian Town Hall in British Columbia on Aug. 15, Poilievre said Canadians and foreign governments should not decide who leads Iran, but stressed that the country should ultimately be free and democratic and governed by the Iranian people. Pahlavi, 65, is the son of Iran’s former Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, whose rule ended with the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He now liv
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Calgary Police Officer to Stand Trial for Murder After Two Die in Slow-Speed Chase

A Calgary police officer charged with two counts of second-degree murder will stand trial in connection with the deaths of two men during a slow-speed police pursuit in 2023. A judge ordered a trial for 52-year-old Const. Craig Stothard on Tuesday, following the conclusion of a preliminary inquiry. The inquiry was held to determine whether there was enough evidence for the case to proceed to trial. Stothard was charged after Wesley Davidson and Levon Boyce Fox were shot and killed on May 29, 2023, following a police pursuit involving a stolen cube van. Police had responded to a report of suspi