22.4°C Vancouver

News

b-c-approves-single-use-plastics-bans-in-surrey-nanaimo-rossland-and-esquimalt
BCFeb 13, 2021

B.C. approves single-use plastics bans in Surrey, Nanaimo, Rossland and Esquimalt

The British Columbia government has approved single-use plastics bans in four more communities. Surrey, Nanaimo, Rossland and Esquimalt are the latest municipalities to implement bans based on their particular needs. The province approved similar bylaws in Victoria, Richmond, Saanich, Tofino and Ucluelet last September to prevent waste such as shopping bags and takeout containers from ending up in landfills and the ocean. Environment Minister George Heyman says B.C. continues to work on regulations allowing local governments to place bans on single-use plastics without the need for provincial
pm-trudeau-warns-more-infectious-covid-19-variants-threaten-to-spark-a-third-wave
CanadaFeb 13, 2021

PM Trudeau warns more infectious COVID-19 variants threaten to spark a third wave

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined Canada's top doctors in warning that more infectious COVID-19 variants threaten to spark a third wave, even as he announced Canada would receive millions more vaccine doses than previously expected. Trudeau urged the public to refrain from unnecessary travel and gatherings as the long weekend approached, noting a fast-tracked shipment of millions of COVID-19 vaccines in coming months will not be enough to combat worrisome variants that have overtaken other countries. "Nobody wants a third wave to start, particularly not one comprised of new, more communica
surrey-rcmp-asking-can-you-identify-these-robbery-suspects
BCFeb 12, 2021

Surrey RCMP asking, can you identify these robbery suspects?

The Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit is requesting the public’s assistance with identifying three suspects involved in a series of robberies where high-end gaming consoles were stolen, throughout the Lower Mainland, three of which occurred in Surrey. Surrey RCMP officers have been working with other Lower Mainland police agencies and have identified one of the four suspects. However, efforts to identify the remaining three suspects have been unsuccessful. Photos and descriptions are being released and police are asking for the public’s help to identify the men.All three suspects are described as S
sexual-assault-charges-approved-against-unregistered-massage-practitioner-in-vancouver
BCFeb 12, 2021

Sexual assault charges approved against unregistered massage practitioner in Vancouver

Charges were approved Thursday by the BC Prosecution Service against a Vancouver man following a Vancouver Police sexual assault investigation."Thankfully this woman didn’t sustain any physical injuries from the assault and she was able to call police immediately after the incident occurred," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. The female victim had a massage booked at a business near West Broadway Avenue and Macdonald Street on February 10. It is alleged the unlicensed male massage practitioner assaulted her while she was laying on the massage table."We hope this result can bring peace to t
vpd-seizes-alarming-number-of-weapons-from-kerisdale-home-one-man-charged
BCFeb 12, 2021

VPD seizes alarming number of weapons from Kerisdale home, one man charged

Vancouver Police seized numerous weapons and tactical items from a suite in a building near Yew Street and West 37th Avenue last month following a domestic dispute investigation. "This extensive seizure is concerning," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. "These are very dangerous weapons and we are pleased they are off the street and in police custody." Officers responded to a 9-1-1 call about an alleged domestic dispute the morning of January 26. A witness had told police they had heard a man and woman yelling for 45 minutes. When officers arrived on scene to speak to the couple, they observe
strict-new-quarantine-and-testing-measures-for-travellers-arriving-in-canada-will-begin-feb-22
CanadaFeb 12, 2021

Strict new quarantine and testing measures for travellers arriving in Canada will begin Feb. 22

Strict new quarantine and testing measures for travellers arriving in Canada will begin Feb. 22. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the new measures are necessary to protect Canadians and help stop the spread of COVID-19, especially new variants. The government had previously announced incoming travellers will have to pay the cost of a 72-hour hotel stay and a COVID-19 test. More details of how that will work and who will be covered will come later today. Trudeau says there will be exceptions for some essential workers but says no one should be travelling for any non-essential reason right no
police-investigate-latest-fatal-shooting-in-metro-vancouver-that-has-killed-one-man
BCFeb 12, 2021

Police investigate latest fatal shooting in Metro Vancouver that has killed one man

Homicide detectives confirm they are responding to a deadly attack in a residential area of southeast Burnaby, B.C. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a social media post that a man was fatally shot just after 10 p.m. Thursday. No other details have been released and police have not said if the case is considered targeted. The shooting occurred near the same Burnaby park where 32-year-old Chris Kenworthy was found dead from gunshot wounds on Feb. 3. Kenworthy's slaying was one of two that occurred within 12 hours in Metro Vancouver, and investigators have said both those attac
rakesh-tikait-warns-farmers-protest-will-go-on-for-indefinite-period
IndiaFeb 12, 2021

Rakesh Tikait warns farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period

Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) spokesperson Rakesh Tikait on Friday said the ongoing farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period as there is no planning regarding the duration yet."Farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period as there is no plan currently. It might continue till October," Tikait told ANI.He said this in response to the statement of Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM) leader Gurnam Singh Charni that the farmers' protest will continue till October.Tikait had earlier warned the farmers' agitation will not conclude unless government repeals the three newly enacted agriculture laws a
two-men-dead-one-rescued-after-tugboat-incident-on-b-c-s-north-coast
BCFeb 12, 2021

Two men dead, one rescued after tugboat incident on B.C.'s north coast

Two men are dead and one man has been rescued after a tugboat incident on British Columbia's north coast. The RCMP say at 12:40 a.m. Thursday, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre received an emergency beacon from a tugboat in the Gardner Canal near Kemano, about 75 kilometres southeast of Kitimat. An RCMP West Coast Marine vessel stationed in Hartley Bay responded and found the first dead man, before the Canadian Coast Guard assisted and found the second dead man. The Mounties say one man was spotted by a private helicopter on the shore and has been transported to local hospital. B.C. Emerg

Just In

first-degree-murder-conviction-by-jury-in-2017-murder-of-nicholas-khabra
BCAug 28, 2025

First-degree murder conviction by jury in 2017 murder of Nicholas Khabra

Nicholas Khabra, 28, was shot dead in Surrey on October 23, 2017. In May 2018, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, began a joint investigation into the case, during which several suspects were under investigation, including Brandon Teixeira. Brandon Texeira has now been found guilty of first-degree murder. Connect FM spoke to CFSEU ​​spokesperson Cpl. Sarbjit Sangha regarding the case, she said “obtaining charges against Texeira was not an easy process. She added, “there was an attempt to arrest Teixeira in 2018, but he eluded
the-sister-of-a-hit-and-run-victim-issues-a-video-plea-for-one-more-witness
BCAug 28, 2025

The sister of a hit-and-run victim issues a video plea for one more witness

On August 30, 2024, 24-year-old Buddy Rhodes’ body was found off to the side of the Coquihalla (Highway #5) near Exit 286 in Merritt, BC. The vehicle and driver that hit him have not been found. On the one-year anniversary of Rhodes’ death, BC Highway Patrol is releasing the victim’s name while his sister issues a video plea for a witness who could help further the investigation. View the video: Alix Legouffe talks about the impact that Buddy’s death has had on her family, and what they are hoping will happen next A collision reconstruction determined that Rhodes was likely hit while s
two-rcmp-officers-in-alberta-charged-with-breach-of-trust-says-watchdog-agency
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Two RCMP officers in Alberta charged with breach of trust, says watchdog agency

Alberta's police watchdog has charged a pair of RCMP officers from two northern detachments with breach of trust. The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says it was directed in mid-February last year to investigate two officers from the Morinville and Westlock detachments, located north of Edmonton. Watchdog officials say there are reasonable grounds to suggest an offence had been committed, but wouldn't comment further as the matter is before the courts. They say Sgt. Daniel Mayowski of Westlock and Sgt. Sheldon Robb of Morinville both were charged with breach of
CanadaAug 28, 2025

WSO raises concerns after appointment of Indian diplomats in Canada

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is raising concerns following the announcement that Canada and India have appointed new high commissioners as part of a diplomatic reset. Canada has appointed Christopher Cooter, a veteran diplomat with 35 years of service, as its new High Commissioner to India, while India has named Dinesh K. Patnaik as its envoy to Canada. WSO is calling on the Government of Canada to provide clear assurances that newly appointed Indian diplomats will not have intelligence or police backgrounds, will not engage in espionage or criminal activity in Canada, and will
alberta-now-on-track-for-even-bigger-budget-deficit-now-at-6-5b
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Alberta now on track for even bigger budget deficit, now at $6.5B

The bad news for Alberta's oil-reliant budget is set to get worse. Finance Minister Nate Horner says softening oil prices mean this year's projected budget deficit is expected to grow by $1.3 billion, and will now finish at $6.5 billion in the red when the fiscal year ends next spring. That represents a massive multibillion-dollar swing in Alberta's financial fortunes, as it is coming off an $8.3-billion surplus the year prior. The government says uncertainty created by U.S. trade policy is hurting the Alberta economy and remains a significant risk going into the rest of the year.