18.98°C Vancouver

News

saskatchewan-announces-lifting-of-covid-19-restrictions-premier-scott-moe-says-province-is-ending-vaccine-passport-requirement
CanadaFeb 08, 2022

Saskatchewan announces lifting of COVID-19 restrictions; Premier Scott Moe says province is ending vaccine passport requirement

Saskatchewan is the first province in the country to announce a plan to lift all COVID-19 restrictions. Premier Scott Moe's government is going to drop its vaccine passport requirement as of Monday and end its indoor mask mandate at the end of the month. Moe says the passport has created deep divisions in the province and that people should be able to choose whether they get vaccinated. He says his government is going to respect that right. Moe says he expects other provinces and the federal government to follow suit.
b-c-ndp-sets-out-political-agenda-with-throne-speech-opposition-has-new-leader
BCFeb 08, 2022

B.C. NDP sets out political agenda with throne speech; Opposition has new leader

British Columbia's N-D-P government is set to outline its political agenda for the coming months with a throne speech today at the legislature. The speech kicks off the next session of the house and Premier John Horgan, who recently underwent treatment for throat cancer, will be among the returning politicians. Kevin Falcon was elected leader of the B-C Liberals last weekend, but Shirley Bond will continue to perform leadership duties in the house as he tries to win a seat in a byelection. The throne speech comes two weeks ahead of the government's budget, which is expected to include a fi
ottawa-increases-warnings-about-ukraine-urges-canadians-to-leave-over-russia-threat
WorldFeb 08, 2022

Ottawa increases warnings about Ukraine, urges Canadians to leave over Russia threat

Ottawa is warning all Canadians against travelling to Ukraine due to Russian threats and the risk of war. The federal government is also urging Canadians currently in the country to leave. The increased warning comes amid escalating tensions between Russia and the West over the deployment of 100,000 Russian troops on Ukraine's border. Talks between the U.S., NATO and other Canadian allies and Russia have so far proven unsuccessful, leading to fears of a new war in Europe. Canada had warned against non-essential travel to Ukraine and pulled some diplomatic staff along with their families from t
pm-trudeau-participates-in-emergency-debate-on-the-protest-in-ottawa
CanadaFeb 08, 2022

PM Trudeau participates in emergency debate on the protest in Ottawa

The ongoing demonstration in the nation's capital is seeing a handful of developments this evening. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has shown up to the House of Commons in person to take part in an emergency debate on the protest in Ottawa tonight. The Commons resumed sitting January 31st, but Trudeau was isolating after having tested positive for COVID-19. Meantime, Ottawa City Council has voted to formally petition the federal government to assume responsibility for public safety in the parliamentary precinct. They are calling on the RCMP to take over the situation so local police can return
illegal-nightclub-shut-down-and-ticketed-in-new-westminster
BCFeb 08, 2022

Illegal nightclub shut down and ticketed in New Westminster

On January 29th just before midnight police were patrolling the downtown neighbourhood and noticed a party in the 400 block of Front Street. The NWPD Crime Reduction Unit stayed in the area and spoke to an individual associated to the party.Inside the building, officers saw people dancing on a dance floor, open liquor, and approximately 150 guests who were not wearing masks or social distancing. The NWPD shut down the event without issue and had the crowd leave the area."This appears to have been an illegal nightclub," stated Sergeant Sanjay Kumar. "We want everyone to know that public health
b-c-reports-3-287-new-covid-19-cases-and-32-deaths
BCFeb 08, 2022

B.C. reports 3,287 new COVID-19 cases and 32 deaths

B.C. is reporting 3,287 new cases of COVID-19, including three new epi-linked cases, for a total of 333,925 cases in the province: Feb. 4-5: 1,326 new cases Feb. 5-6: 1,118 new cases Feb. 6-7: 843 new cases There are 23,739 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 306,419 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 987 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 141 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation. The new/active cases include: 864 new cases in Fraser Health Total active cases: 9,596 440 new cases in Vancouver Coa
new-b-c-liberal-leader-plans-to-run-for-legislature-seat-in-vancouver
BCFeb 08, 2022

New B.C. Liberal leader plans to run for legislature seat in Vancouver

The new leader of the B.C. Liberal party says his predecessor is resigning his seat in Vancouver to give him a chance to run in a byelection.Kevin Falcon was elected party leader on Saturday and said his plan was to quickly seek a seat in the house.He says Andrew Wilkinson has decided to resign his seat in Vancouver-Quilchena.The NDP government has six months to call a byelection.Falcon won the leadership on the fifth ballot in a field of seven candidates.The 59-year-old former cabinet minister held a seat in Surrey from 2001 until he left politics in 2012.
judge-grants-injunction-against-honking-in-downtown-ottawa
CanadaFeb 07, 2022

Judge grants injunction against honking in downtown Ottawa

An Ontario court has granted a 10-day injunction to prevent truckers parked on city streets in downtown Ottawa from honking their horns incessantly. Superior Court Justice Hugh McLean says the injunction is temporary because he needs to hear more evidence, but that he's heard enough to make this ruling. Several federal cabinet ministers held a news conference this afternoon to discuss what can be done to end the disruptive truck protest in Ottawa, but there's nothing concrete. Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino says Canadians have been incredibly united through the pandemic, and most peop
228m-flood-recovery-program-helping-b-c-farms-return-to-production
BCFeb 07, 2022

$228M flood recovery program helping B.C. farms return to production

B.C. farmers who suffered extraordinary damages during November’s devastating floods will have access to up to $228 million in federal-provincial government support to help their farms return to production and support British Columbia’s food security and agricultural communities in the years ahead.Marie-Claude Bibeau, federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, and Lana Popham, B.C.’s Minister of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries, have announced the Canada-BC Flood Recovery for Food Security Program, which will be delivered by the Government of British Columbia and will leverage the fed

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees