15.56°C Vancouver

News

mass-killing-in-nova-scotia-began-with-attack-binding-of-girlfriend
CanadaApr 24, 2020

Mass killing in Nova Scotia began with attack, binding of girlfriend

Nova Scotia RCMP are confirming a weekend rampage that claimed 22 lives began with the gunman attacking his girlfriend on Saturday night.She was able to escape and hide in the woods during the night.As she hid, shots were fired and several buildings were set on fire.Bodies were found in seven locations.Police say they set up a perimeter to try to capture the gunman and started going door-to-door. More than six hours later, the woman told police that Gabriel Wortman was wearing a police uniform and driving a replica RCMP cruiser.
IndiaApr 24, 2020

Punjab Govt requests Maharashtra to allow safe passage to 3,000 pilgrims stranded in Nanded

Punjab Government has requested the Maharashtra government to allow safe passage to over 3000 pilgrims stranded in Nanded. "Punjab Government has requested the Maharashtra government to allow safe passage to over 3000 pilgrims from the state, who are stranded in Nanded due to lockdown in wake of COVID-19," Information and Public Relations Department, Punjab, said. On Wednesday, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Wednesday said that Union Home Minister Amit Shah has conceded to his request for travel of Sikh pilgrims stuck due to nationwide lockdown at Gurudwara Hazur Sahib in Maharash
16-million-dollar-jackpot-winner-white-rock-man-shares-an-interesting-story
BCApr 24, 2020

16 million dollar jackpot winner White Rock man shares an interesting story

A White Rock man says he found out he'd cleaned up in a Lotto 649 draw while checking his numbers in the washroom. Tibor Tusnady says he Googled the numbers for the April 15th draw and then checked again and again after seeing he'd won the 16 million dollar jackpot. He says didn't know how to tell his wife so he took the night to sleep on it and told her the next day after lunch. Tusnady says the family plans to travel once the COVID-19 pandemic is resolved, and he'll let his wife choose the first destination.
bc-government-will-start-accepting-applications-next-month-for-a-new-emergency-benefit-for-workers-affected-by-the-covid-19
BCApr 24, 2020

BC government will start accepting applications next month for a new emergency benefit for workers affected by the COVID-19

The BC government says it will start accepting applications next month for a new emergency benefit for workers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. It says the one thousand dollar benefit is to help those whose ability to work has been affected by the pandemic. It says those who are eligible for the federal government's emergency response benefits are also eligible to apply for the BC program starting May 1st. Payments are expected to be processed within days of applications being filed.
dr-bonnie-henry-is-reporting-a-covid-19-outbreak-at-a-poultry-plant-in-coquitlam
BCApr 24, 2020

Dr. Bonnie Henry is reporting a COVID-19 outbreak at a Poultry plant in Coquitlam

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is reporting a COVID-19 outbreak at a second poultry processing plant in the province. Henry says two cases have been confirmed at the Superior Poultry plant in Coquitlam. She says it's a sister plant to the United Poultry facility in east Vancouver that was closed earlier this week after an outbreak where 29 people have tested positive for the virus. Henry is reporting 29 new cases of the virus and four new deaths raising the total to 1,824 with 94 deaths.
federation-of-canadian-municipalities-asking-for-billions-in-emergency-funding-for-local-governments
CanadaApr 23, 2020

Federation of Canadian Municipalities asking for billions in emergency funding for local governments

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities is asking the federal government to give local governments billions in emergency funding to stave off financial ruin. The organization says local governments need between $10 billion and $15 billion over the next six months to pay for services while they see revenue declines. Transit ridership, for instance, is down as people stay home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and municipal councils are considering or have approved delays in collecting property taxes to give residents a financial break. That's why they're asking for $2.4 billion for cities with t
dr-theresa-tam-reacts-to-accusations-from-a-conservative-leadership-candidate-that-she-is-working-for-chinas-communist-party
CanadaApr 23, 2020

Dr. Theresa Tam reacts to accusations from a Conservative leadership candidate that she is working for China's Communist party

Canada's chief public health officer is reacting to accusations from a Conservative leadership candidate that she is working for China's Communist party, and not Canada, in the fight against COVID-19. Dr. Theresa Tam says she has but one focus during her very long work days. Conservative leadership candidate Derek Sloan says Tam should be fired. He also accuses her of working for China's Communist party, and not Canada, in the fight against COVID-19. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggests Sloan's comments were racist and must be denounced.
pm-trudeau-we-are-failing-our-parents-and-grandparents-in-long-term-care-homes
CanadaApr 23, 2020

PM Trudeau: We are failing our parents and grandparents in long term care homes

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says we are failing our parents and grandparents in long term care homes. Trudeau says the government is sending the military to help in long-term care homes in Ontario and Quebec. But he says it should never have come to this, and there are tough questions to be asked once the crisis is over. The outbreak of COVID-19 in long term care homes has outraged many Canadians and Trudeau says that outrage is not misplaced.
covid-19-158-residents-and-79-staff-related-cases-in-10-seniors-facilities-in-nova-scotia
CanadaApr 23, 2020

COVID-19: 158 residents and 79 staff related cases in 10 seniors' facilities in Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is reporting four more deaths related to COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths in the province to 16. Health officials say three of the deaths occurred at the Northwood long-term care home in Halifax Regional Municipality, and the other occurred at Harbourstone Enhanced Care in Sydney. Nova Scotia is reporting 55 new cases of the virus and has a total of 827 confirmed cases. There are 10 licensed long-term care homes and unlicensed seniors' facilities in Nova Scotia with cases of COVID-19, involving 158 residents and 79 staff.

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in