16.12°C Vancouver

News

quebec-to-reopen-schools-legault
CanadaApr 27, 2020

Quebec to reopen schools : Legault

Quebec Premier Francois Legault is announcing elementary schools and daycares outside the greater Montreal area will reopen on May 11.Schools and daycares in greater Montreal region will reopen the next week, on May 19.He says school attendance will not be mandatory.Legault says high schools, junior colleges and universities will remain closed until September, and he is urging those institutions to do as much online teaching as possible.
nearly-10-000-businesses-apply-for-wage-subsidy-in-first-hours-trudeau
CanadaApr 27, 2020

Nearly 10,000 businesses apply for wage subsidy in first hours : Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says nearly 10,000 businesses have applied for the federal government's wage-subsidy program to help them deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.The emergency measure will cover 75 percent of wages for employers that have seen sharp declines in revenue since the novel coronavirus hit Canada hard in March, up to $847 per worker.Applications opened early this morning and payments can be retroactive to the middle of March.Trudeau says money under the program will start flowing by May 7.It may take longer for the money to arrive for companies that aren't signed up for direct
BCApr 27, 2020

B.C. announces $500K in funding for seniors caregivers support

B.C. has pledged to double its contribution to help support caregivers and seniors as part of its emergency COVID-19 response plan.The province's seniors advocate, Isobel Mackenzie, says B.C. is providing an additional 500,000 to help support caregivers and seniors.She says this doubles the funding to Family Caregivers of B.C. to $1 million for the year and will help expand toll-free support line hours, emotional supports and healthcare navigation.Family Caregivers of B.C. is a not-for-profit organization that supports people who care for senior citizens.
BCApr 25, 2020

B.C. to move more than 1000 people from tent encampments into safer accommodations

British Columbia is looking to temporarily relocate over 1,000 people from tent encampments in Vancouver and Victoria to hotel and community centre accommodations to protect them from the ongoing pandemic. Shane Simpson, Social Development and Poverty Reduction Minister, says 686 hotel and community centre accommodations in Vancouver and 324 hotel spaces in Victoria have been secured by the province. Simpson says people will have their own living space and access to services, such as meals, laundry, washroom facilities, health-care services, addictions treatment and harm reduction, storage for
covid-19-ottawa-announces-62-5-million-for-countrys-fish-and-seafood-sector
CanadaApr 25, 2020

COVID-19: Ottawa announces $62.5 million for country's fish and seafood sector

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is announcing a $62.5-million aid package to help the country's fish and seafood processors protect workers from COVID-19. Trudeau said today the money is earmarked for personal protective equipment and to help fish and seafood companies adapt their plants to comply with health directives. The prime minister says the funding can also help pay for other equipment such as freezers, so that companies can store food products while they adapt their factories to ensure workers can maintain a safe distance from one another. Fish and seafood are among the country's top fo
CanadaApr 25, 2020

43,888 COVID-19 cases in Canada, 2,302 deaths reported so far

There are 43,888 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 22,616 confirmed (including 1,340 deaths, 4,724 resolved) Ontario: 13,519 confirmed (including 763 deaths, 7,087 resolved) Alberta: 4,017 confirmed (including 72 deaths, 1,397 resolved) British Columbia: 1,853 confirmed (including 98 deaths, 1,114 resolved) Nova Scotia: 850 confirmed (including 16 deaths, 392 resolved) Saskatchewan: 341 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 280 resolved) Manitoba: 252 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 174 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 256 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 199 resolv
35-workers-at-a-poultry-in-vancouver-have-now-tested-poitive-new-figures-of-covid-19-in-bc-reported
BCApr 25, 2020

35 workers at a poultry in Vancouver have now tested poitive, new figures of COVID-19 in BC reported

Thirty-five workers at the United Poultry plant in Vancouver have now tested positive for COVID-19. That's up from 29 and in addition to two cases at a sister plant in Coquitlam. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that 10 cases of the virus in B.C. have been connected to the Kearl Lake project near Fort McMurray, Alta. Seventy-eight inmates and staff have also tested positive at the Mission Institution in the Fraser Valley. The province is reporting four more deaths, for a total of 98 deaths, and 29 new cases. The province has a
the-bc-legislature-will-be-lit-in-red-tonight-to-honour-the-22-victims-killed-in-nova-scotia
BCApr 25, 2020

The BC legislature will be lit in red tonight to honour the 22 victims killed in Nova Scotia

The BC legislature will be lit in red tonight to honour the 22 victims who died in a killing rampage in Nova Scotia last weekend. A virtual vigil for the victims will be livestreamed on Facebook this evening since large gatherings are banned due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The BC government says it stands in mourning with all Nova Scotians. Premier John Horgan says in a tweet that he is also wearing red today to show he is standing with the families in mourning.
nova-scotia-remembers-an-online-vigil-with-tributes-and-music-honouring-the-22-people-who-died
CanadaApr 25, 2020

Nova Scotia remembers: An online vigil with tributes and music honouring the 22 people who died

An online vigil with recorded tributes and music honouring the 22 people who died in a tragic rampage began Friday with a fiddle performance from the massacre's youngest victim. Nova Scotia residents spent the week gathering recorded tributes from public figures, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Premier Stephen McNeil and Governor General Julie Payette. Nova Scotia fiddler Natalie MacMaster recorded herself playing along with a video of 17 year old Emily Tuck performing the waltz ``In Memory of Herbie MacLeod,'' uploaded to Facebook a month before she was killed with her mother and fa

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in