20.62°C Vancouver

News

british-columbia-emerging-economy-task-force-final-report-released
BCMay 11, 2020

British Columbia: Emerging Economy Task Force final report released

B.C. is in a better position to chart a long-term vision for the province according to the final report of the Emerging Economy Task Force. The 14-member task force has made 25 recommendations to help B.C. navigate global trends and technological advancements over the next 10 to 25 years. The report will also be a valuable resource to help inform the province's COVID-19 pandemic economic recovery. The recommendations are presented within five key strategic priorities:* embracing technology and innovation* leveraging B.C.'s green economy* building a highly skilled and adaptable workforce* ensu
nova-scotia-mass-killers-semi-automatic-guns-believed-to-have-come-from-u-s
CanadaMay 11, 2020

Nova Scotia mass killer's semi-automatic guns believed to have come from U.S.

The RCMP says three of the four semi-automatic weapons used by a gunman during last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia are believed to have come from the United States. The federal force says in a news release today that only one of the guns could be traced back to a source in Canada. The Mounties are still declining to reveal the brand or the calibre of the weapons, two handguns and two rifles used during the April 18-19 rampage that killed 22 people in five communities around the province. Gabriel Wortman, who police have said didn't have a licence for the weapons, was shot and killed by
feds-pledge-covid-19-financing-help-for-the-countrys-biggest-companies
CanadaMay 11, 2020

Feds pledge COVID-19 financing help for the country's biggest companies

The federal government says it will provide loans and financing to the country's largest employers to help them weather the COVID-19 economic crisis. The Liberals are promising bridge financing to companies whose financial needs aren't being met by conventional credit so they can stay open and keep employees on their payrolls. The government says in a release that another goal of the financing program, aimed at companies with $300 million or more in revenues, is to avoid bankruptcies of otherwise viable firms wherever possible. Rules on access to the money will place limits on dividends, share
quebec-reopens-some-elementary-schools-daycares-after-covid-19-shutdowns
CanadaMay 11, 2020

Quebec reopens some elementary schools, daycares after COVID-19 shutdowns

Quebec children have begun heading back to class today for the first time since March as the province reopens elementary schools and daycares outside the Montreal area. Quebec is the first province to open schools following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, and school officials say it will be far from business as usual. Students are being met by staff wearing masks and in some cases face shields, and they are being told to follow physical-distancing rules and wash their hands frequently. Libraries, gyms and cafeterias will be closed, and children will spend most of the day at their desks
covid-19-15-new-cases-2-more-deaths-reported-in-b-c-today
BCMay 09, 2020

COVID-19: 15 new cases, 2 more deaths reported in B.C. on Saturday

British Columbia reported 15 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the provincial total to 2,330 positive cases of the virus. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says two people have died, which brings the death toll to 129. She says the two deaths are people who were residents of long-term care homes in the Vancouver area. Henry says the number of people who have recovered from COVID-19 has increased to 1,659, which amounts to 71 per cent of those who tested positive for the virus. Henry says on Mother's Day, she is asking families to honour their mothers by keeping them safe by avoiding close
trudeau-says-canada-will-not-pay-full-price-for-8-million-sub-standard-masks
CanadaMay 09, 2020

Trudeau says Canada will not pay full price for 8 million sub-standard masks

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada will not pay the full price for medical masks that do not live up to medical standards.About eight million of 11 million N95 respirators shipped to the government from China through a Montreal-based supplier failed to meet specifications, federal officials said Friday.Trudeau says the discovery speaks to the government's “rigorous verification system” overseen by the Public Health Agency of Canada.The prime minister did not name the price the government will pay for the sub-standard respirators, which are used to protect against the COVID-19 virus.
canada-1-512-more-covid-19-cases-reported-today
CanadaMay 09, 2020

Canada: 1,512 more COVID-19 cases reported on Friday

There are 66,434 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 36,150 confirmed (including 2,725 deaths, 8,928 resolved) Ontario: 19,598 confirmed (including 1,540 deaths, 13,990 resolved) Alberta: 6,098 confirmed (including 115 deaths, 4,020 resolved) British Columbia: 2,315 confirmed (including 127 deaths, 1,579 resolved) Nova Scotia: 1,008 confirmed (including 46 deaths, 722 resolved) Saskatchewan: 544 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 355 resolved) Manitoba: 273 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 247 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 261 confirmed (including 3 dea
covid-19-punjab-govt-cancels-class-10th-exams-new-strategy-to-promote-students
IndiaMay 09, 2020

COVID-19: Punjab govt cancels class 10th exams, new strategy to promote students

In view of the COVID-19 situation in the state, Punjab government has canceled the class 10th exams saying that students will be promoted based on their performance in pre-Board exams."Class X students under Punjab School Education Board will not have to take any exams and will be promoted on basis of their performance in pre-Board exams," said Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.The state government has also decided to promote students from classes 5th to 9th. "The state government has decided to promote all students of Classes V to X under Punjab School Education system to next class without any
who-needs-1-7-billion-to-fund-its-response-efforts-for-covid-19
WorldMay 08, 2020

WHO needs $1.7 billion to fund its response efforts for COVID-19

The head of the World Health Organization says the agency needs $1.7 billion to fund its response efforts for COVID-19 for the rest of the year, and that it's about $1.3 billion short. Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he was suspending funding to the U.N. health agency, saying WHO botched its response to the coronavirus pandemic and was acting as a public relations agency for China. WHO said previously it was conducting an assessment of what the loss of U.S. funding would mean for its operations. In a press briefing on Friday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said WHO's C

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in