24.4°C Vancouver

News

montreal-area-schools-to-stay-closed-until-september
CanadaMay 14, 2020

Montreal-area schools to stay closed until September

The Quebec government is putting off reopening schools in the Montreal area until August or September.Premier Francois Legault says public health conditions for reopening haven't been met in Montreal, which is the COVID-19 epicentre of the province.The Montreal area had initially been slated to reopen schools, daycares and businesses on May 25, but now daycare in the region will only reopen June 1 at the earliest while no firm decision has been taken on retail businesses.Authorities reported an additional 793 new cases of COVID-19 and 131 new deaths today.
ottawa-announces-469m-for-fish-harvesters-with-sector-specific-grant-benefit
CanadaMay 14, 2020

Ottawa announces $469M for fish harvesters with sector-specific grant, benefit

Ottawa has announced $469 million in federal support for fish harvesters who have been ineligible for other aid initiatives during the COVID-19 pandemic.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced the support, which will come in the form of an industry-specific benefit and a grant.The Fish Harvester Benefit, structured similarly to the previously announced federal wage subsidy, offers income support covering 75 per cent of losses for harvesters losing 25 per cent or more of their income this year.The Fish Harvester Grant is a sector-specific grant similar to the Canada Emergency Business Acc
bank-of-canada-warns-of-excess-business-household-debt-from-covid-19
CanadaMay 14, 2020

Bank of Canada warns of excess business, household debt from COVID-19

The Bank of Canada says there are signs in the country's financial markets that suggest concern about the ability of companies to weather the COVID-19 economic crisis.The central bank has spent the last two months making a flurry of policy decisions that has seen it slash its target interest rate and embark on an unprecedented bond-buying program to ease the flow of credit.The report suggests these measures have helped ease liquidity strains and provide easy access to short-term credit for companies and households.But it is warning this morning that a cash-flow problem for businesses seeing sh
indias-coronavirus-tally-increasing-rapidly
IndiaMay 14, 2020

India's coronavirus tally increasing rapidly

The total number of coronavirus positive cases in India reached 74,281 on Wednesday, said the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The tally is inclusive of 47,480 active cases, 24,385 cured/discharged patients and 2,415 deaths due to the infection. While the doubling time earlier was 10.9 days, it has improved to 12.2 in the last few days. According to MoHFW, Maharashtra has the most number of positive COVID-19 cases with 24,427 positive cases, followed by Gujarat with 8,903, and Tamil Nadu with 8,718 cases. Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan today held a meeting via video conference with
encouraging-figures-of-resolved-covid-19-cases-in-canada
CanadaMay 14, 2020

Encouraging figures of resolved COVID-19 cases in Canada

There are 72,278 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 39,931 confirmed (including 3,220 deaths, 10,470 resolved) Ontario: 21,236 confirmed (including 1,765 deaths, 15,845 resolved) Alberta: 6,407 confirmed (including 120 deaths, 5,076 resolved) British Columbia: 2,376 confirmed (including 132 deaths, 1,859 resolved) Nova Scotia: 1,024 confirmed (including 51 deaths, 870 resolved) Saskatchewan: 577 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 385 resolved) Manitoba: 278 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 251 resolved), 12 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 261 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 24
b-c-lays-out-120-million-plan-to-clean-up-inactive-oil-and-gas
BCMay 14, 2020

B.C. lays out $120 million plan to clean up inactive oil and gas

British Columbia has announced details on how it plans to spend $120 million in federal funds earmarked for cleaning up inactive oil and gas well sites across the province. Premier John Horgan says restoring more than 2,000 inactive oil and gas wells would support upwards of 1,200 jobs in B.C. The federal government announced $120 million for cleaning up so-called orphan wells in B.C. in mid-April, money the province says it intends to spend on three new programs once a final agreement is reached with Ottawa. B.C. says up to $100 million would be used to reclaim wells that have been inacti
outstanding-response-to-covid-19-survey-16-new-cases-reported-in-b-c
BCMay 14, 2020

Outstanding response to COVID-19 survey, 16 new cases reported in B.C.

Provincial health official Doctor Bonnie Henry says the response to a COVID-19 survey launched by the province yesterday has been outstanding. Dr. Henry says 75,000 people had provided input by noon today on their experiences during the pandemic. She says the province wants information from a lot of people in order to understand the unintended consequences of public health measures put in place to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus. Henry reported 16 new cases of COVID-19 today and one new death, bringing the total to 2,376 cases with 132 fatalities.
suspect-in-violent-attack-against-a-woman-on-a-bus-died-of-an-apparent-drug-overdose
BCMay 13, 2020

Suspect in violent attack against a woman on a bus died of an apparent drug overdose

Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a suspect in an alleged violent attack against a woman on a bus died of an apparent drug overdose a week after the incident in April. Police appealed to the public for help identifying the man on Tuesday. On Wednesday, they said he has been identified as a 48 year old Vancouver resident with no fixed address. Transit police say the suspect boarded a bus in the Downtown Eastside on April 15 and made remarks towards two Asian women who got on wearing masks. Police said in a statement on Tuesday that he stated ``words to the effect of 'Go back to your country;
dr-theresa-tam-says-wearing-a-mask-in-public-depends-on-whats-happening-in-your-community
CanadaMay 13, 2020

Dr. Theresa Tam says wearing a mask in public depends on what's happening in your community

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says whether you should be wearing a mask in public depends on what's happening in your community and what you're doing. She says masks are beneficial in areas with community transmission of COVID-19, and in areas where it's difficult to stay away from others. That includes in certain stores and on public transit. But she says mandatory mask rules could disadvantage vulnerable people who can't afford or get access to one. "Canada will use a newly-approved antibody test" Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says Canada will use a newly-approve

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees