25.04°C Vancouver

News

only-two-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-b-c
BCMay 20, 2020

Only two new cases of COVID-19 in B.C.

Provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry is reporting only two new cases of COVID-19 as B.C. marks a milestone in the pandemic response. Henry says the province now has 2,446 cases in total but has also seen three additional deaths, bringing that total to 146. She's assuring people the province would not be allowing many businesses to begin re-opening today if officials did not think they could do so safely. But Henry is again urging owners to take the time needed to safely re-open.
WorldMay 19, 2020

'Twilight' actor found dead with girlfriend in Las Vegas

An actor in the film ``Twilight'' and his girlfriend were found dead last week in a Las Vegas condominium, authorities said Tuesday. Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg said foul play was not suspected in the May 13 deaths of Gregory Tyree Boyce, 30, and Natalie Adenike Adepoju, 27. The coroner said their causes and manners of death won't be known until medical examiners receive toxicology test results in several weeks. The bodies were found after police were summoned to a report of a dead body in a residential complex several miles east of the Las Vegas Strip, police said. Las Vegas Police O
pm-trudeau-says-virtual-and-reduced-in-person-house-of-commons-sittings-have-been-effective
CanadaMay 19, 2020

PM Trudeau says virtual and reduced in-person House of Commons sittings have been effective

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the re-opening of Canada amid the COVID-19 pandemic needs to be cautious and responsible, and that goes for the resumption of the House of Commons too. Opposition leader Andrew Scheer has repeatedly called for a return to in-person sittings, saying the existing thrice-weekly meetings of a special COVID-19 committee aren't enough to properly scrutinize the government's handling of the pandemic. Trudeau says the two virtual sittings combined with a single, reduced in-person sitting have been very effective in allowing MPs from across the country to participate
canada-turns-to-u-s-navy-for-help-to-recover-downed-military-helicopter
CanadaMay 19, 2020

Canada turns to U.S. Navy for help to recover downed military helicopter

The Canadian Armed Forces is turning to the U.S. military for assistance in recovering the downed Cyclone helicopter off the coast of Greece.The helicopter crashed on April 29 within sight of the Halifax-class frigate HMCS Fredericton while participating in a NATO training mission.The remains of two Armed Forces members on board have been recovered, while four others are missing and presumed dead.While the voice and flight-data recorder were recovered, the main wreckage is beneath about 3,000 metres of water.Lt.-Gen. Mike Rouleau, who overseas all Canadian military missions at home and abroad,
canadas-greenhouse-gas-emissions-have-fallen-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
CanadaMay 19, 2020

Canada's greenhouse gas emissions have fallen during the COVID-19 pandemic

A new study finds Canada's greenhouse gas emissions have fallen by about 20 per cent during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the research published today in the journal Nature points out that percentage is less than many countries such as Great Britain or the US. Co-author Corinne Le Quere says that's because Canada brought in mobility restrictions later and those were also less-strict than other countries. Globally, emissions have dropped 17 per cent.
facebook-pays-9-million-penalty-over-federal-probe-of-privacy-claims
CanadaMay 19, 2020

Facebook pays $9-million penalty over federal probe of privacy claims

Facebook will pay a $9-million penalty after the federal Competition Bureau found the company made false or misleading claims about the privacy of Canadians' personal information.The social media firm will pay an additional $500,000 to cover the costs of the bureau's investigation.In a settlement registered today, the company has agreed not to make misleading representations about the extent to which users can control access to their personal data on Facebook and the Messenger app.Following an investigation that took into account Facebook's practices between August 2012 and June 2018, the bure
u-s-agrees-to-canadas-request-to-extend-non-essential-travel-ban-into-june
CanadaMay 19, 2020

U.S. agrees to Canada's request to extend non-essential travel ban into June

The United States has agreed to Canada's request to extend the mutual ban on non-essential cross-border travel until June 21.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed the extension today.He calls it an important decision that will protect citizens in both countries.The deal, which prohibits discretionary travel while permitting trade shipments, commerce and essential workers to continue to move in both directions, was first reached in mid-March and extended for 30 days last month.Officials and stakeholders on both sides of the border have hailed the agreement as a successful measure in curbing t
businesses-customers-urged-to-take-it-slow-as-b-c-reopens
BCMay 19, 2020

Businesses, customers urged to 'take it slow' as B.C. reopens

Business owners are encouraged to "take it slow" as B.C. begins the second phase of its restart plan.Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says she understands there will be anxiety as B.C. businesses open their doors for potentially the first time in several months.Starting today, restaurants, cafes and pubs, retail and personal service establishments, libraries, museums and galleries, office spaces and child care facilities may reopen.Parks, beaches and recreational facilities are reopening, too.Henry says she knows people are a "little bit afraid" and says they should "take it slow" du
16-new-covid-19-cases-and-2-more-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCMay 19, 2020

16 new COVID-19 cases and 2 more deaths reported in B.C.

British Columbia is announcing two new deaths and 16 new cases of COVID-19 over the Victoria Day long weekend. There have been 2,444 total cases of COVID-19 in the province with 1,966 fully recovering. These cases represent figures for two days, from Saturday to Monday. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the latest deaths both occurred in long-term care homes.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees