18.31°C Vancouver

News

vancouver-mayor-wants-b-c-premier-to-review-policing-across-province
BCJun 11, 2020

Vancouver mayor wants B.C. premier to review policing across province

Vancouver's mayor wants the B.C. government to conduct a review of policing across the province.Kennedy Stewart says city council can do little to change policing in Vancouver and the provincial government could override any potential decision.The comments come after the Vancouver Police Board asked council to rescind a one per cent budget cut last week.The board says George Floyd's death in Minneapolis has led to large scale protests that will affect the police department's budget.The mayor's announcement comes after the organizers of the Vancouver Pride Parade said all police and corrections
immigration-application-system-set-for-massive-revamp-in-wake-of-covid-19
CanadaJun 11, 2020

Immigration application system set for massive revamp in wake of COVID-19

A complete overhaul of how Canada processes immigration applications is in the works as the federal government braces for a post-COVID-19 surge in demand for migration to Canada. The federal Immigration Department says the "new normal" that will emerge after the pandemic requires a revamp of the technology used to handle millions of applications a year. It says new strategies for managing those applications are also needed to limit the amount of in-person contact within the bureaucracy and between officials and potential newcomers. The department included its plan in an "urgent request" issued
ottawa-commits-133m-in-further-aid-for-indigenous-businesses
CanadaJun 11, 2020

Ottawa commits $133M in further aid for Indigenous businesses

Ottawa will spend a further $133 million on helping Indigenous businesses suffering the economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government has heard from First Nations, Inuit and Metis business owners who have said the last few months have been extremely difficult. Of the total amount announced today, $117 million is to help small and community-owned Indigenous businesses. The remaining $16 million is to support Indigenous businesses in the tourism sector, which supports thousands of jobs across the country. This money adds to $306 million in f
doug-ford-tests-negative-for-covid-19-ontario-reports-203-new-cases-12-deaths
CanadaJun 11, 2020

Doug Ford tests negative for COVID-19; Ontario reports 203 new cases, 12 deaths

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has tested negative for COVID-19. His office said Wednesday he would get tested after learning that Education Minister Stephen Lecce had come into contact with someone who was infected. Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott held a joint news conference the day before with Lecce to announce a child-care reopening plan. Lecce's test result came back negative, and the premier's office says today that Ford's and Elliott's were negative as well. Ontario is reporting 203 new cases of COVID-19 today, bringing the province to a total of 31,544. The province also reported
india-has-diplomatically-resolved-matter-with-china-nitin-gadkari
IndiaJun 11, 2020

India has diplomatically resolved matter with China: Nitin Gadkari

Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari said that India's territorial security is strong and the country has diffused border tension with China diplomatically. "Internal and external security of the country is strong. We have resolved the matter with China diplomatically. You also know what we have been doing continuously to the terrorists coming from Pakistan," said Gadkari during Jan Samwad rally in Madhya Pradesh via videoconferencing. The Union Minister had also slammed Congress party, saying that BJP under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi did
472-covid-19-cases-and-63-deaths-reported-in-canada
CanadaJun 11, 2020

472 COVID-19 cases and 63 deaths reported in Canada

There are 97,125 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 53,341 confirmed (including 5,081 deaths, 19,841 resolved) Ontario: 31,341 confirmed (including 2,475 deaths, 25,380 resolved) Alberta: 7,276 confirmed (including 151 deaths, 6,754 resolved) British Columbia: 2,680 confirmed (including 167 deaths, 2,328 resolved) Nova Scotia: 1,061 confirmed (including 62 deaths, 994 resolved) Saskatchewan: 658 confirmed (including 13 deaths, 624 resolved) Manitoba: 289 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 285 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 261 confirmed (including 3 d
BCJun 11, 2020

B.C. Supreme Court grants injunction against tent city in CRAB Park

The B.C. Supreme Court has granted an injunction against a tent city set up at a park on property owned by the port authority in Vancouver. The encampment was established in CRAB Park mid-May in a parking lot owned by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority after a tent city at nearby Oppenheimer Park was shut down. Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson ruled on Wednesday that campers have three days to pack up their belongings and leave the property, but he did not include an enforcement order. Hinkson says allowing campers to stay on the port's land would lead to the same health and safety conce
b-c-premier-says-proposal-for-vancouver-as-nhl-hub-city-sent-to-prime-minister
BCJun 10, 2020

B.C. premier says proposal for Vancouver as NHL hub city sent to Prime Minister

British Columbia's premier says the province and its top doctor have approved a proposal for the NHL to make Vancouver a possible playoff hub city in Western Canada during the pandemic. John Horgan says he has written to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to advance the initiative put together by all three sides based on a modification of quarantine measures that would allow a team to remain together as a family or bubble. Horgan says a team would stay in a hotel and travel together to Rogers Arena for games using private transportation, be responsible for any COVID-19 testing and agree to not i
12-new-cases-no-new-covid-19-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJun 10, 2020

12 new cases, no new COVID-19 deaths reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia: "Today, we are announcing 12 new cases who have tested positive for COVID-19, for a total of 2,680 cases in British Columbia. "There are 185 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 2,328 people who tested positive have recovered. "Of the total COVID-19 cases, 12 individuals are hospitalized, four of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to