19.71°C Vancouver

News

passengers-on-board-an-air-canada-flight-from-kelowna-to-vancouver-being-warned-about-possible-covid-19-exposure
BCJul 14, 2020

Passengers on board an Air Canada flight from Kelowna to Vancouver being warned about possible COVID-19 exposure

Passengers on board an Air Canada flight from Kelowna to Vancouver last week are being warned they may have been exposed to COVID-19. The BC Centre for Disease Control is asking passengers on board flight AC 8421 on July 6th to self-isolate for 14 days from the date of travel. They are also being asked to self-monitor for symptoms of the coronavirus. The flight is the latest on a listed posted on the Centre's website of those beginning or ending in BC where it has learned there was a case of COVID-19 on board.
body-found-in-search-of-lake-for-glee-star-naya-rivera
WorldJul 14, 2020

Body found in search of lake for `Glee' star Naya Rivera

Authorities say a body has been found at a Southern California lake during the search for ``Glee'' star Naya Rivera. The Ventura County Sheriff's Office says in a tweet that the body was found Monday morning in the search of Lake Piru for Rivera, five days after her four year old son was found alone in a boat the two had rented. Authorities would not immediately say the person was 33 year old Rivera, but said the day after she disappeared that they believed she drowned in the lake. Rivera played singing cheerleader Santana Lopez on the musical series that ran on Fox from 2009 to 2015.
62-new-covid-19-cases-and-2-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJul 13, 2020

62 new COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. "Today, we are providing case updates for three 24-hour reporting periods. In the first reporting period from July 10 to July 11, we had 21 new cases. From July 11 to July 12, we had 20 new cases and in the last 24 hours, we have had a further 21 new cases."This represents 62 new cases since we reported on Friday, for a total of 3,115 cases in British Columbia."There are 208 active cases of CO
private-parties-source-of-covid-19-exposures-linked-to-the-city-of-kelowna-adrian-dix
BCJul 13, 2020

Private parties source of COVID-19 exposures linked to the city of Kelowna: Adrian Dix

British Columbia's health minister says several COVID-19 exposures linked to the city of Kelowna are believed to stem from private parties held by people in their 20s and 30s. Adrian Dix says that the cases involved people from three different regions of BC and serve as a reminder of the risks posed by private gatherings. Interior Health says eight positive tests for the virus are linked to visits to downtown Kelowna and the city's waterfront between June 25th and July 9th. An advisory warns of possible exposures at a resort, bed and breakfast, restaurant and spin studio. The cases follow the
BCJul 13, 2020

Three counts of second-degree murder laid in Langley, B.C., house fire

A 24 year old Langley man is in custody, charged with three counts of second-degree murder related to the slayings of his mother, younger sister and his mother's common-law partner. Kia Ebrahimian was charged Friday, almost a month after fire tore through the Langley home were he and the three victims lived. Integrated Homicide Investigation Team Sergeant Frank Jang says Ebrahimian was not injured in the fire but his 50 year old mother and 23 year old sister were found dead in the home, while the body of his mother's 46 year old partner was found in the backyard. Jang isn't saying how the vic
CanadaJul 13, 2020

Trudeau apologizes for not recusing himself from WE decision

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's very sorry he didn't recuse himself from the government's decision to award a contract to WE Charity to manage a major student-volunteering program.He says his and his family's longtime involvement with the WE organization should have kept him out of the discussions.And he says he's particularly sorry that the delay in the program caused by WE's eventual decision to withdraw will harm students looking for ways to help in the COVID-19 pandemic.Trudeau has faced accusations of cronyism and allegations of a conflict of interest over his past connections wit
quebec-man-facing-genocide-charge-linked-to-alleged-threats-against-trudeau-muslims
CanadaJul 13, 2020

Quebec man facing genocide charge linked to alleged threats against Trudeau, Muslims

A Quebec man charged last December in connection with alleged online threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Muslims is facing two new charges.The RCMP said 62-year-old Andre Audet of Boucherville, Que., will appear in court south of Montreal today to face charges of intimidating a justice system participant and advocating genocide.Cpl. Charles Poirier says the justice system participant Audet is accused of intimidating the prime minister.The RCMP says the investigation that began last year found about 100 online posts containing hate, threats or incitement to violence, allegedly ma
police-investigating-sexual-assault-and-robbery-in-whalley
BCJul 12, 2020

Police investigating sexual assault and robbery in Whalley

Surrey RCMP are investigating a robbery and sexual assault near the King George SkyTrain station on Friday night. Police say a woman was walking under the Expo line near the Fraser Highway at around 10:45 p.m. when a man approached her with a weapon. The woman was allegedly robbed, pulled into nearby bushes and sexually assaulted. The suspect is described as white, 30 to 40 years old, about five-foot-10, and wearing a red and blue bandana on his face and all black clothing.
amitabh-bacchan-tests-positive-for-covid-19
IndiaJul 11, 2020

Amitabh Bachchan, 3 family members test positive

Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan, his son and two other family members have tested positive for the coronavirus in Mumbai. In a tweet on Saturday, the 77-year-old Bachchan said his family and staff have also undergone tests. His 44-year-old son and fellow actor, Abhishek Bachchan, tweeted Saturday night that he also has tested positive for the virus and is hospitalized. He described their symptoms as mild. Maharashtra state Health Minister Rajesh Tope tweeted on Sunday that Abhishek Bachchan's wife, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and their eight-year-old daughter too have tested coronavirus posit

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri