19.99°C Vancouver

News

new-covid-19-cases-linked-to-actions-during-labour-day-weekend-b-c-government
BCSep 19, 2020

New COVID-19 cases linked to actions during Labour Day weekend: B.C. government

Health officials in B.C. are urging residents to think of the consequences of their actions, as they linked the growing number of COVID-19 cases to behaviour during the Labour Day long weekend. The health minister and the provincial health officer say in a joint statement that no one intends to pass the virus on to friends or family, and people need to think about how they socialize. The province says it can take up to two weeks for symptoms of COVID-19 to fully develop, and people to make sure they do not inadvertently spread the virus. The province announced 139 new cases of COVID-19 on Fri
WorldSep 19, 2020

Mexico sees fentanyl seizures up 465%

Mexican authorities say seizures of the synthetic opioid fentanyl so far this year are 465% higher than in 2019, but progress against the other big Mexican export to the U.S. market, methamphetamines, is slower. The Defence Department said seizures of meth in Mexico rose by only 32.8% between Jan. 1 and Sept. 16, but busts of meth labs dropped 51% compared to the same period of last year. In a similar pattern, Mexico's seizures of cocaine rose by 46%, but seizures of key transport methods like boats and clandestine landing strips were down by 64% and 79%, respectively.
BCSep 18, 2020

Alaska man arrested at B.C. border crossing faces firearms, smuggling charges

Border officials say a man from Alaska has been charged with smuggling assault-style guns at a border crossing in British Columbia. The Canada Border Services Agency said Friday that a 33-year-old man was arrested at the Abbotsford-Huntingdon crossing on July 27 when officers seized 14 firearms. They say in a news release the weapons seized included four prohibited semi-automatic rifles, three prohibited handguns, a restricted handgun and six non-restricted long guns. The agency says Corey Kettering was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in Abbotsford provincial court on Mo
police-in-nanaimo-investigating-a-parking-lot-assault-on-a-70-year-old-south-asian-man
BCSep 18, 2020

Police in Nanaimo investigating a parking-lot assault on a 70 year old South Asian man

Mounties in Nanaimo are investigating a parking-lot assault on a 70 year old South Asian who was punched so hard his turban was knocked from his head. Police say the dispute happened almost a month ago, on August 20th, when the man pulled into a handicap space because his spouse has physical disabilities. The RCMP say the attacker took offence, punched the man, shouted some profanities and then ran off. Police say there's no indication the attack was racially motivated and they're looking for a Caucasian man, five-foot-seven inches tall with a slim build and dark hair.
massive-fines-wont-work-as-well-as-individuals-taking-health-precautions-on-their-own-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaSep 18, 2020

Massive fines won't work as well as individuals taking health precautions on their own: Dr. Theresa Tam

Canada's top public health official says the recent rise in COVID-19 cases is cause for concern. Doctor Theresa Tam says if positive test results continue to rise at the current rate, officials could lose the ability to control the pandemic's spread. That depends on keeping the cases at manageable levels. Doctor Theresa Tam says massive fines for those who ignore pandemic guidelines won't work as well as individuals taking health precautions on their own. The province of Ontario is reporting its highest one-day increase since early June, with 401 new cases since yesterday.
this-is-only-week-one-and-tweaks-to-plans-are-expected-rob-fleming
BCSep 18, 2020

This is only week one and tweaks to plans are expected: Rob Fleming

The BC Teachers Federation hopes the Labour Relations Board can resolve teachers' concerns about COVID-related health and safety issues in schools. The BCTF has filed a submission with the board asking it to propose solutions to what the union says are ``inadequate and inconsistent'' policies aimed at slowing the spread of the new coronavirus. Documents show the BCTF is seeking an ``expedited'' decision because union members feel ``pressured'' to work in unsafe situations and there's potential for job action by some teachers. Education Minister Rob Fleming says ``this is only week one'' and t
bloc-quebecois-leader-yves-francois-blanchet-tests-positive-for-covid-19
CanadaSep 18, 2020

Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet tests positive for COVID-19

Bloc Quebecois leader Yves-Francois Blanchet has tested positive for COVID-19, but he says he feels fine. He will stay in isolation at his Shawinigan, Quebec home until September 26th. Blanchet's wife, Nancy, tested positive for the illness earlier this week. Quebec's public health rules say a person who tests positive but doesn't have serious symptoms must stay isolated for 10 days. The Bloc leader was already in self-isolation, along with much of his caucus and other aides, after a staff member contracted COVID-19.
WorldSep 18, 2020

Firefighter dies battling wildfire sparked by gender reveal

A firefighter has died battling a wildfire in California that officials say was sparked by a device used to reveal a baby's gender. The U.S. Forest Service says the death happened Thursday in the San Bernardino National Forest as crews battled the El Dorado Fire.The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire, has said that wildfire was sparked by a smoke-generating pyrotechnic device used for a gender reveal party. The identity of the firefighter is being withheld until family members are notified. The cause of the death is under investigation. Wildfires in California
WorldSep 18, 2020

U.S. border closure extended to Oct. 21

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says the partial closure of the border with the United States is being extended another month, to Oct. 21. Crossings of the border have been largely restricted to trade goods, essential workers and citizens returning home since March, in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19. Blair and his American counterpart, acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, each tweeted the latest one-month extension of the closure agreement this morning. The pandemic has raged in the United States throughout the spring and summer, and cases in Canada have recently starte

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri