16.33°C Vancouver

News

aap-mla-mahinder-bhagat-was-administered-oath-by-the-assembly-speaker
IndiaJul 17, 2024

AAP MLA Mahinder Bhagat was administered oath by the Assembly Speaker

Mahinder Bhagat, who won the election from Jalandhar West of Punjab, may soon be given a place in the cabinet. He was administered the oath by Punjab Vidhan Sabha Speaker Kultar Singh Sandhawan today in Chandigarh. State Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann was also present on this occasion. Former BJP minister Bhagat Chunni Lal's son Mahendra Bhagat may be made the sports minister in the Aam Aadmi Party government. This portfolio was previously held by Gurmeet Singh Meet Hare, which has become vacant after he became an MP. It may be noted that Mahendra Bhagat left BJP and joined Aam Aadmi Party las
a-big-blow-to-the-aap-government-of-punjab-from-the-president
IndiaJul 17, 2024

A big blow to the 'AAP' government of Punjab from the President

The Aam Aadmi Party government of Punjab has received a blow from the President. President Draupadi Murmu has rejected the Punjab University Law Amendment Bill 2023. As before, the Governor of Punjab will continue to be the chancellor of the universities. Under this bill, provision was made to withdraw the power of the Chancellor of 12 State Universities from the Governor and give it to the Chief Minister. Currently, there is no response from the state government. The Punjab Legislative Assembly unanimously passed this bill on June 21 last year. After not getting approval from the President,
the-inspector-who-chased-away-the-accused-of-sidhu-moosewala-murder-case-received-a-blow-from-the-high-court
IndiaJul 17, 2024

The inspector who chased away the accused of Sidhu Moosewala murder case received a blow from the High Court

Mansa CIA Inspector Preetpal Singh, who helped the accused gangster Deepak Tinu escape from jail in the Sidhu Moosewala murder case, has received a blow from the Punjab-Haryana High Court. The court rejected the bail petition filed by him. The High Court said that Preetpal Singh, being a police officer, supported a criminal, which is a crime in itself. It is to be noted that the gangster Deepak Tinu was to be questioned about the Sidhu Moosewala murder case when CIA Inspector Preetpal Singh helped him escape from custody in the year 2022. The Special Cell Counter Intelligence Unit arrested h
a-man-serving-a-second-degree-murder-sentence-has-died-in-an-abbotsford-prison
BCJul 17, 2024

A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison

A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison. Correctional Service of Canada says in a statement that Eugene Raymond Benoit died while in custody at the Abbotsford Regional Treatment Centre. C-S-C officials say the 69-year-old man died of apparent natural causes on July 13th, and at the time of death, the inmate had been serving an indeterminate sentence. They also say the police and coroner have been notified, with a review of the death pending.
b-c-caps-international-post-secondary-student-enrolment-at-30-per-cent-of-total
BCJul 17, 2024

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total

British Columbia's government has introduced new guidelines for public post-secondary education institutions, capping the number of international students at 30 per cent of their total enrolment. In a statement, the provincial Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills says the new limit is meant to make sure that "international student enrolment doesn't strain an institution's ability "to provide appropriate services." The ministry says the new guidelines call for public universities and colleges to submit international education strategic plans to the government, which the provin
evacuation-orders-issued-west-of-kamloops-due-to-growing-wildfire-activity
BCJul 17, 2024

Evacuation orders issued west of Kamloops due to growing wildfire activity

The Cook’s Ferry Indian Band has issued an evacuation order for its Nicoelton reserve as two wildfires burn north of Spences Bridge, B.C. The band issued the order Tuesday “in the interest of life and safety,” while it also put in place evacuation alerts for three more of its reserves. The band says the Teit Creek and Shetland Creek wildfires, burning at 249 hectares and 285 hectares wide, respectively, pose an “imminent danger” to its Nicoelton reserve. Both fires are deemed “out of control” by the BC Wildfire Service. Information Officer with the BCWS Taylor Coleman says the Te
premiers-wrapping-up-council-of-the-federation-summer-meeting-in-halifax
CanadaJul 17, 2024

Premiers wrapping up Council of the Federation summer meeting in Halifax

Canada's premiers are wrapping up the summer meeting of the Council of the Federation today. The premiers of the 10 provinces and three territories have been in Halifax for their three-day gathering hosted by Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston. A statement from the premiers says key priorities that have been discussed include housing, affordability and skills training; strategic infrastructure; the future of energy; and emergency preparedness and response. Several premiers have expressed frustration over what they say is a lack of teamwork from the federal government on important files. Alberta P
alberta-b-c-toast-wine-deal-after-tiff-over-taxing-direct-sales-to-consumers
BCJul 16, 2024

Alberta, B.C. toast wine deal after tiff over taxing direct sales to consumers

The premiers of Alberta and B.C. are celebrating an agreement to again allow direct sales to consumers after a tiff over taxes. With the temporary deal, Albertans can order wine directly from more than 350 wineries in B.C. Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says it means the province's liquor wholesaler can collect consistent fees on all wine sold in the province, but details of how it will work are still being sorted. The agreement comes after Alberta threatened to stop stocking wine in retail stores from B.C. producers who were selling directly to Alberta customers. The Alberta government says a
the-problems-of-akali-leader-surjit-kaur-who-contested-the-by-election-in-jalandhar
IndiaJul 16, 2024

The problems of Akali leader Surjit Kaur, who contested the by-election in Jalandhar

The problems of Akali Dal candidate Surjit Kaur, who is contesting the by-election from Jalandhar West Constituency of Punjab, may be increasing. In fact, Sucha Ram Ladhar, president of Punjab BJP's Scheduled Caste wing and former IAS officer, sent a complaint to the National Scheduled Castes Commission, Election Commission and the Punjab government to investigate the caste certificate of Shiromani Akali Dal candidate Surjit Kaur and take legal action. have demanded Because the seat on which she contested was an SC seat, in such a case, it has been said in the complaint that Surjit Kaur SC.

Just In

CanadaAug 10, 2026

Montreal man charged over alleged threats against Prime Minister Carney

A 51-year-old Montreal man, Mark Porlier, has been charged with allegedly making threats against Prime Minister Mark Carney. According to the RCMP, Porlier made a violent and threatening comment about the prime minister in an email sent to a Canadian senator and several other people. The RCMP’s federal policing unit began investigating on Aug. 5 after receiving a complaint. Porlier was subsequently taken into custody and appeared in a Montreal court on Aug. 8. Police charged him under Section 264.1 of the Criminal Code with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm. The RCMP said statem
liberal-mp-shaun-chen-announces-resignation-citing-health-concerns
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Liberal MP Shaun Chen announces resignation, citing health concerns

Liberal MP Shaun Chen has announced he will resign his seat in the House of Commons, citing health concerns following a car accident last year. Chen has represented Scarborough North since 2015. He said he plans to leave Parliament by the end of this month. His resignation comes as several federal MPs from major parties have left office before the end of their terms this year. Three federal byelections are scheduled for Aug. 31 in ridings previously represented by former Liberal ministers Jonathan Wilkinson and Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, and Conservative MP Richard Martel. The federal government
targeted-shooting-in-surreys-whalley-area-leaves-one-person-injured
BCAug 10, 2026

Targeted shooting in Surrey’s Whalley area leaves one person injured

A person was injured in a targeted shooting outside a home in Surrey’s Whalley area late Friday night. According to the Surrey Police Service, officers responded to the area of 88 Avenue and 127 Street at about 11:45 p.m. and found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound. The suspect had left the scene before police arrived. BC Emergency Health Services transported the victim to hospital. Police say the person’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. The Surrey Police Service Major Crime Section is investigating. Police say their initial investigation indicates the shooting appear
ottawa-launches-100m-steel-freight-rebate-to-support-domestic-producers
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Ottawa launches $100M steel freight rebate to support domestic producers

The federal government is launching a $100-million rebate program to reduce the cost of shipping eligible Canadian steel products between provinces and territories, as domestic producers face pressure from tariffs and changing trade conditions. According to the federal government, the program will cover 50 per cent of eligible freight costs for manufacturers moving qualifying steel products by rail or marine transport within Canada. Transportation Minister Steven MacKinnon announced the program Monday. The government says the measure is intended to encourage Canadian manufacturers that use ste
netanyahu-rejects-gaza-plan-says-israeli-forces-will-not-withdraw-until-hamas-is-disarmed
WorldAug 10, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Gaza plan, says Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is disarmed

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected a 15-point plan for Gaza proposed by the U.S. president, saying Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed. Speaking during a cabinet meeting Sunday, Netanyahu said Israel does not accept the document in its current form. He said Hamas must be disarmed in practice, not merely on paper, and that Israel would continue taking action to prevent threats to its soldiers and civilians. Netanyahu said Israel is in discussions with U.S. officials about the next phase of its strategy. He said some U.S. proposals are acceptable to