16.12°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-six-deaths-317-new-cases-of-covid-19
BCSep 15, 2020

B.C. reports six deaths, 317 new cases of COVID-19

British Columbia has had 317 additional cases of COVID-19 and six more people have died since Friday. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 1,595 cases are active in the province, including 58 people who are hospitalized. Nearly half of the active cases are people connected to long-term care and assisted-living facilities, including 471 residents and 320 staff. Dr. Henry says 5,446 people have recovered after testing positive for the illness and more than 3,000 people are being actively monitored for symptoms. The latest case numbers come as students head back to classrooms and smok
u-s-wildfire-smoke-blankets-b-c-wafts-east-to-alberta-affecting-air-quality
BCSep 14, 2020

U.S. wildfire smoke blankets B.C., wafts east to Alberta, affecting air quality

Environment Canada says air quality advisories posted across most of British Columbia since last week should spread east across Alberta due to wildfire smoke from the United States. Air quality statements have been issued for four regions of southwestern Alberta along the Rockies but the weather office says alerts will likely expand before smoke exits that province tonight. Relief will not come as quickly for B.C. residents, with the air quality index showing smoky conditions will improve only marginally by Tuesday. The index uses a scale of one to 10 to rank risk from stagnant or smoky air a
b-c-announces-132-new-covid-19-cases-one-additional-outbreak-at-care-home
BCSep 12, 2020

B.C. announces 132 new COVID-19 cases, one additional outbreak at care home

British Columbia is reporting an additional 132 cases of COVID-19 and one new outbreak at a health-care facility. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say the outbreak at Evergreen Hamlets in Surrey is the 14th long-term care or assisted-living facility to have an active outbreak. Three acute-care facilities also have outbreaks. The Fraser Health Authority says a staff member at Evergreen Hamlets tested positive for the virus and is in self-isolation at home. In a joint statement, Dix and Henry say there were no additional deaths. There have been a total o
b-c-s-top-doctor-defends-shutting-down-banquet-halls-information-on-banquet-hall-closures-issued-by-ministry-of-health
BCSep 11, 2020

B.C.'s top doctor defends shutting down banquet halls, Information on Banquet Hall Closures issued by Ministry of health

Ministry of Health in B.C. has issued a statement in regards to the closure of Banquet Halls. The decision to close stand alone banquet halls and nightclubs was made by the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry.Dr. Henry made the decision to take action to address the risks of COVID-19 transmission at a number of types of venues, including also closing nightclubs and limiting late night alcohol sales in all bars, pubs and restaurants.She made this decision because public health officials have seen exposure and transmission events happen repeatedly at standalone banquet halls, bars and ni
b-c-gang-leader-jamie-bacon-to-be-sentenced-today-in-surrey-six
BCSep 11, 2020

B.C. gang leader Jamie Bacon sentenced for 18 years in Surrey Six case

Gang leader Jamie Bacon has been sentenced to 18 years in prison, less time served, for his part in six fatal shootings in a Surrey highrise 13 years ago. It means the 35 year old client will spend a further five years and seven months behind bars. Bacon pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to murder Corey Lal in the so-called Surrey Six case and one count of counselling to commit murder related to a separate, non-fatal shooting in December, 2008. The slaying and attempted murder were related to drug trafficking conducted while Bacon was one of the leaders of a gang known as the Red Scor
b-c-sets-new-daily-record-of-covid-19-cases-at-139-hospitalizations-climbing
BCSep 11, 2020

B.C. sets new daily record of COVID-19 cases at 139, hospitalizations climbing

British Columbia reached a record of daily COVID-19 cases today as schools reopened across the province. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced 139 new cases for a provincial total of 6,830 since the pandemic began. Hospitalizations also rose to 42, with 14 of those people in intensive care. There are no new deaths and the total number of fatalities remains at 213. Dr. Henry says she understands the first day of school can be an anxious event, especially this year during a global pandemic. She says public health teams are ready to support schools, which will be alerted as soon a
former-finance-minister-bill-morneau-broke-elections-law-ahead-of-last-campaign
CanadaSep 10, 2020

Former finance minister Bill Morneau broke elections law ahead of last campaign

Canada's election watchdog says former finance minister Bill Morneau broke the law when he promoted Liberal candidates at events he attended while in charge of the finance portfolio.The commissioner of Canada elections says before the last federal election, Morneau pumped up two prospective candidates who were attending separate events he headlined as finance minister.One candidate, Anita Anand, has since gone on to become a cabinet minister herself.Ministers aren't allowed to use taxpayer funds for partisan gain, but there are also provisions in election law that bar anyone but individuals fr
100-new-covid-19-cases-and-two-new-outbreaks-reported-in-b-c
BCSep 10, 2020

100 new COVID-19 cases and two new outbreaks reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. "Today, we are announcing 100 new cases, and no new epi-linked cases, for a total of 6,691 cases in British Columbia. "There are 1,378 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, 3,101 people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases and 5,086 people who tested positive have recovered. "Currently, 37 individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19
we-charity-closing-operations-in-canada
CanadaSep 09, 2020

WE Charity closing operations in Canada

WE Charity says it is closing its Canadian operations, as the organization is in dire financial straits. Co-founders Craig and Marc Kielburger will also step down once the transition to a new board of governors is complete. WE has lost many of its corporate sponsors since the controversy over the Liberal government's plans to have the youth organization run a multi million dollar student-volunteer program. WE plans to lay off its Canadian staff in the coming months and sell all of its property in Canada. It will create an endowment fund that will pay for the completion of several projects in

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in