21.11°C Vancouver

News

fedrel-government-creating-a-new-means-to-permanent-residency-for-90-000-essential-workers-and-international-graduates-marco-mendicino
CanadaApr 14, 2021

Fedrel government creating a new means to permanent residency for 90,000 essential workers and international graduates: Marco Mendicino

Federal Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says his department is creating a new means to permanent residency for 90,000 essential workers and international graduates. Those people are already in Canada. Mendicino says the new policy will grant permanent status to temporary workers and graduates who possess the skills and experience the country needs. Mendicino says health care and other eligible essential workers must have at least one year of Canadian work experience to apply, while international graduates must have completed an eligible Canadian post-secondary program within the last fou
minnesota-cop-charged-in-shooting-of-black-motorist
CanadaApr 14, 2021

Minnesota cop charged in shooting of Black motorist

A veteran suburban Minneapolis police officer was arrested this morning and will be charged with second-degree manslaughter for killing 20-year-old Black motorist Daunte Wright. Sunday's shooting in Brooklyn Center sparked days of unrest and the resignations of officer Kim Potter and police chief Tim Gannon. Gannon said that Potter, who was a training officer, had intended to use her Taser on Wright but fired her handgun instead. A Minnesota prosecutor says he will charge a white former suburban Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot 20 year old Black motorist Daunte Wright with second
review-of-safety-data-completed-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-will-remain-authorized-for-all-adults-in-canada-dr-supriya-sharma
CanadaApr 14, 2021

Review of safety data completed, Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine will remain authorized for all adults in Canada: Dr. Supriya Sharma

Chief medical adviser Dr. Supriya Sharma says there is no evidence showing certain people are more at risk than others and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine will remain authorized for all adults in Canada, along with the others that have been approved for use so far. Dr. Supriya Sharma says the vaccine, along with others approved for use so far, is safe for anyone to take. Dr. Supriya Sharma, chief medical adviser with Health Canada, says the conclusions come after the department's drug regulatory experts completed a review of safety data, and are in line with those issued in Europe and the Unite
canada-receives-report-of-blood-clot-linked-to-astrazeneca
CanadaApr 13, 2021

Canada receives report of blood clot linked to AstraZeneca

A Quebec woman has developed a blood clot after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, in Canada's first case of the rare condition. Federal and provincial health officials say the woman got an Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that was produced at the Serum Institute of India, known as Covishield. The agency says the person is now recovering at home. Health Canada says the side-effect is extremely rare and the vaccine's benefits still outweigh its risks. More than 700,000 doses of the vaccine have been administered in Canada. In the House of Commons today, Health Minister Patty Hajdu was asked by the Conser
dr-tam-gets-her-first-shot-of-covid-19-vaccine-says-was-unaware-of-what-vaccine-she-was-getting-until-she-received-an-email
CanadaApr 13, 2021

Dr. Tam gets her first shot of COVID-19 vaccine, says was unaware of what vaccine she was getting until she received an email

Canada's chief public health officer has received her first shot of COVID-19 vaccine. Dr. Theresa Tam told an Ottawa news conference today she was unaware of what type of vaccine she was getting until she received an email before getting the shot.Dr. Tam says she received a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Record number of COVID-19 patients in ICU's There are a record number of COVID-19 patients in Canada's intensive care units. Dr. Theresa Tam, the chief public health officer, says an average of 970 people have been in ICUs over the last week. The highest 7-day average previously was 880
health-canada-investigating-reports-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-linked-to-extremely-rare-cases-of-blood-clots
CanadaApr 13, 2021

Health Canada investigating reports Johnson &Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may be linked to extremely rare cases of blood clots

Health Canada says it is investigating reports the Johnson &Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may be linked to extremely rare cases of blood clots. In a tweet, the Canadian drug regulator says it is following the issue closely and is working with the manufacturer, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other international regulators. Health Canada also says it has asked Janssen, the pharmaceutical arm of Johnson & Johnson, to provide information on any blood-clotting cases. The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration issued a joint state
us-recommends-pause-for-j-j-vaccine-over-clot-reports
CanadaApr 13, 2021

US recommends 'pause' for J&J vaccine over clot reports

The US is recommending a pause in the use of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in Canada, but not yet available here. It is investigating six reports of blood clots possibly linked to the single-dose Johnson & Johnson shot. Six women out of more than 6.8-million Americans who received the J&J vaccine developed clots in a6 to 13 day span. One died. Johnson & Johnson now says it is delaying the rollout of its vaccine in Europe due to the US investigation. The vaccine was approved for use in Canada in early March, with the federal government saying it had pre-purchased 10 million
air-canada-ottawa-agree-to-aid-package-worth-up-to-5-9-billion
CanadaApr 13, 2021

Air Canada, Ottawa agree to aid package worth up to $5.9 billion

Air Canada and Ottawa have agreed to financing deals that would allow the airline to access as much as $5.9 billion through the Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility program. As part of the package, Air Canada has agreed to a number of commitments, including refunds for some customers who did not travel due to COVID-19 and a promise to resume service at some regional airports. Other restrictions include limits on executive compensation and maintaining a minimum number of staff. Travel restrictions introduced through the beginning of the pandemic have been catastrophic for the airline in
number-of-covid-19-patients-being-treated-in-icus-up-23-per-cent-over-last-week-dr-tam
CanadaApr 09, 2021

Number of COVID-19 patients being treated in ICUs up 23 per cent over last week: Dr. Tam

Canada's chief public health officer says the number of patients being hospitalized for COVID-19 is on the rise as more contagious variants of the virus spread in many parts of the country. Dr. Theresa Tam says hospitals treated an average of more than 2,500 patients with COVID-19 each day last week, a seven per cent increase compared to the previous week. Tam says 860 of these patients were in intensive-care units, which is an increase of 23 per cent over the previous week. Ontario hospitals have been asked to ramp down elective surgeries and non-urgent procedures in order to cope with the in

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to