6.8°C Vancouver

News

man-who-used-van-to-kill-10-pedestrians-in-toronto-guilty
CanadaMar 03, 2021

Man who used van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto guilty

A Canadian judge has found guilty a man who admitted using a van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto.Alek Minassian faced 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.The April 23, 2018, attack drew attention to an online world of sexual loneliness, rage and misogyny.His lawyer argued he didn't know what he was doing was wrong because he has autism spectrum disorder, a stance that angled autism rights advocates.Justice Anne Molloy said Wednesday the man's lawyers failed to prove he was not criminally responsible.
unanimous-committee-report-calls-on-trudeau-not-to-trigger-election-during-pandemic
CanadaMar 03, 2021

Unanimous committee report calls on Trudeau not to trigger election during pandemic

A House of Commons committee is unanimously urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to promise he won't call a federal election while the COVID-19 pandemic rages across Canada. In a report by the procedure and House affairs committee, even Liberal members supported a recommendation calling for a commitment that there will be no election during the pandemic, unless Trudeau's minority Liberal government is defeated on a confidence vote. The committee makes no similar call for opposition parties to promise not to trigger an election during the pandemic by voting non-confidence in the government. Ho
more-ground-being-gained-on-the-vaccine-versus-variants-leg-of-marathon-every-day-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaMar 02, 2021

More ground being gained on the "vaccine-versus-variants leg of marathon" every day: Dr. Theresa Tam

Canada is now recording an increase in new COVID-19 cases because of the spread of the variants. No province has been spared from these variants, but some continue to ease anti-pandemic restrictions. Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says more ground is being gained on the "vaccine-versus-variants leg of this marathon" every day. Federal Procurement Minister Anita Anand says a half-million doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca's vaccine will arrive tomorrow. Three-hundred thousand of those doses expire in just a few weeks' time but Tam says all vaccines should be administered as soon as they
federal-conservatives-worried-about-vaccine-hesitancy-among-seniors-because-of-conflicting-advice-on-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine
CanadaMar 02, 2021

Federal Conservatives worried about vaccine hesitancy among seniors because of conflicting advice on Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine

The federal Conservatives say they're worried about vaccine hesitancy among seniors because of conflicting advice on the use of the recently-approved Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. Tory MP Michelle Rempel Garner says the advice is confusing. A national panel of vaccine experts says provinces should not use the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on seniors. But Health Canada says it can be used on Canadians aged 65 or older. Michelle Rempel Garner on Twitter: We have called for an emergency meeting to understand why Health Canada is recommending use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in seniors when the
canadian-economy-contracted-5-4-per-cent-in-2020-worst-year-on-record
CanadaMar 02, 2021

Canadian economy contracted 5.4 per cent in 2020, worst year on record

The Canadian economy posted its worst showing on record in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic swept across the country, shutting down businesses and putting millions out of work.Statistics Canada says real gross domestic product shrank 5.4 per cent in 2020, the steepest annual decline since comparable data was first recorded in 1961. The drop for the year was due to the shutdown of large swaths of the economy in March and April during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic that crushed the economy.Since then, economic activity has slowly and steadily grown. Statistics Canada says the economy grew
mengs-defence-team-argues-for-admission-of-evidence-to-bolster-its-case
CanadaMar 01, 2021

Meng's defence team argues for admission of evidence to bolster its case

A lawyer for the Huawei executive facing extradition to the United States says there's evidence showing the case against her is "manifestly unreliable" and he wants that evidence admitted to the record. Meng Wanzhou's lawyer Frank Addario says emails between staff at the telecom giant and international bank HSBC show the bank was well aware that Huawei controlled another company called Skycom, therefore Meng wasn't responsible for any violation of U.S. sanctions again Iran by the bank. He told the B.C. Supreme Court hearing that staff at HSBC knew that Skycom was sold to Canicula, that Canicu
health-canada-approves-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine
CanadaFeb 26, 2021

Health Canada approves AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine

Health Canada has approved the COVID-19 vaccine from AstraZeneca, the third to be given the green light for national use.Canada has pre-ordered 20 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which was co-developed by researchers at the University of Oxford.It will also receive up to 1.9 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine through the global vaccine-sharing initiative known as COVAX by the end of June.Vaccines produced by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna had already been approved by Health Canada.Approximately 1.7 million doses of those formulas have been administered in Canada.Health Canada sen
trudeau-government-mum-on-why-the-newly-minted-chief-of-defence-staff-is-being-investigated-for-misconduct
CanadaFeb 26, 2021

Trudeau government mum on why the newly-minted chief of defence staff is being investigated for misconduct

The Trudeau government is keeping mum on why the newly-minted chief of defence staff is being investigated for misconduct. Admiral Art McDonald has stepped aside for now. In the House of Commons today, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole tried, but failed, to get answers about the investigation -- and whether there are any other probes going on in the military. Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland acknowledged the investigation in the House of Commons, but revealed no details. She would only say the government takes misconduct allegations seriously. Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan revealed lat
military-reeling-as-new-defence-chief-steps-aside-amid-allegations-of-misconduct
CanadaFeb 25, 2021

Military reeling as new defence chief steps aside amid allegations of misconduct

The Canadian Armed Forces is reeling this morning with news chief of the defence staff Admiral Art McDonald is being investigated for misconduct.Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan revealed late last night McDonald has voluntarily stepped aside while military police investigate.The stunning development comes just over a month after McDonald took over as commander of the Canadian military from Gen. Jonathan Vance, who is also under investigation after allegations of inappropriate behaviour.Vance has denied any wrongdoing and McDonald has not commented.Former naval reservist Marie-Claude Gagnon, who

Just In

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the