4.56°C Vancouver

News

police-border-services-seize-598-stolen-vehicles-at-montreal-port-most-from-ontario
CanadaApr 03, 2024

Police, border services seize 598 stolen vehicles at Montreal port, most from Ontario

Ontario Provincial Police and the Canada Border Services Agency say they've recovered 598 stolen vehicles destined for export at the Port of Montreal. Police say 75 per cent of the seized vehicles, with an estimated value of $34.5 million, were stolen in Ontario. OPP deputy commissioner Marty Kearns says no arrests were made but the investigation is ongoing. Police say 390 containers at the port were searched during a joint operation involving border services, police forces in Quebec and Ontario and insurance investigators. Kearns says the financial impact of the seizures on organized crime is
federal-budget-to-include-more-money-for-apartment-construction-loans
CanadaApr 03, 2024

Federal budget to include more money for apartment construction loans

The federal government is setting aside another $15 billion in the upcoming budget for its apartment construction loan program. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the funding will help build another 30,000 apartments within the next 10 years. The government is also reforming the program to extend loan terms and expand financing to housing for students and seniors. The announcement is part of the Liberals' pre-budget tour of the country. On Tuesday, Trudeau announced a $6-billion infrastructure fund to support homebuilding and a $400 million top-up to the housing accelerator fund. The Liberals
otoole-mps-alleging-chinese-interference-taking-stand-today-at-inquiry
CanadaApr 03, 2024

O'Toole, MPs alleging Chinese interference taking stand today at inquiry

Former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole is set to testify this morning at a federal inquiry into foreign interference, alongside three politicians who claim China has targeted them. O'Toole said last spring that Canada's spy agency told him he had been the target of Chinese interference intended to promote false narratives online about his policies and discredit him during the 2019 election. The Tories say security officials never informed the party about these concerns, which O'Toole blames for the loss of eight or nine seats. A government rapporteur found little evidence of such a link. This
mp-han-dong-political-party-officials-set-to-address-foreign-interference-inquiry
CanadaApr 02, 2024

MP Han Dong, political party officials set to address foreign interference inquiry

A federal inquiry into foreign interference is set to hear from the Independent MP at the centre of allegations about foreign meddling in Canadian elections. Han Dong left the Liberal caucus after it was alleged he willingly participated in Chinese interference efforts and won his seat with Beijing's help in 2019 claims he denies. Special rapporteur David Johnston found last May that there were "irregularities" observed with Dong's 2019 nomination and "well-grounded suspicion" that these were tied to China's Toronto consulate, but that Dong was not aware of these issues. Dong is slated to test
trudeau-announces-national-school-food-program-to-feed-400-000-more-kids-per-year
CanadaApr 02, 2024

Trudeau announces national school food program to feed 400,000 more kids per year

One of seven premiers who asked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to pause the consumer carbon price increase is now asking him for a meeting to discuss alternatives. Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Andrew Furey penned a letter to Trudeau over the weekend asking for an "emergency meeting of leaders." The four Atlantic premiers and the leaders in Saskatchewan, Alberta and Ontario asked Trudeau not to increase the federal consumer carbon price by $15 per tonne today. Many of them have long opposed any carbon levy, but say the affordability crisis plaguing Canadians is reason to halt the increase.
former-quebec-liberal-cabinet-minister-benoît-pelletier-dies-at-64
CanadaApr 02, 2024

Former Quebec Liberal cabinet minister Benoît Pelletier dies at 64

Former Quebec Liberal cabinet minister Benoît Pelletier has died in Mexico at age 64. In a statement announcing his death, his family described him as an attentive husband and devoted father who was deeply committed to Quebec and the French language. Pelletier was a well-known University of Ottawa law professor when he made the leap into provincial politics in 1998 by winning a seat in the western Quebec Chapleau riding for Jean Charest's Liberals. He presided over the Liberal party's special committee on Quebec's political and constitutional future, and was considered the father of the Chare
on-pre-budget-charm-offensive-trudeau-announces-plans-to-expand-10-a-day-child-care
CanadaMar 28, 2024

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care

The federal government's pre-budget charm offensive is back for a second straight day this time aimed at parents and child care providers. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government plans to provide more than $1 billion in low-cost loans, grants and student loan forgiveness to expand child care across Canada. Trudeau made the announcement in Surrey, B.C., part of the Liberal government's effort to win back support among younger voters and middle-class families. He says an additional $60 million will be set aside for non-repayable grants for eligible child care centres to build new space
four-ontario-school-boards-sue-facebook-instagram-snapchat-and-tiktok
CanadaMar 28, 2024

Four Ontario school boards sue Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat and TikTok

Four of Ontario's largest school boards have launched lawsuits against the parent companies of Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat and TikTok alleging the social media platforms are disrupting student learning. The lawsuits claim the platforms are negligently designed for compulsive use and have rewired the way children think, behave and learn, leaving teachers and schools to manage the fallout. The allegations in the lawsuits filed in Ontario Superior Court have not been proven. The school boards suing are the Toronto District School Board, the Peel District School Board, the Toronto Catholic Distr
police-investigating-after-two-bodies-found-in-home-northwest-of-montreal
CanadaMar 27, 2024

Police investigating after two bodies found in home northwest of Montreal

Quebec provincial police are investigating after two bodies were found in a home in the Laurentians region. The bodies were found about 9:15 a.m. inside a residence in Lac-Supérieur, Que., about 105 kilometres northwest of Montreal. Provincial police spokesperson Camille Savoie says the two people were transported to hospital where they were declared dead. Savoie says the deaths are considered suspicious. The crimes against persons unit has taken over the investigation. Police are not commending on the cause or circumstances surrounding the two deaths.

Just In

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the