25.56°C Vancouver

News

carney-erdogan-agree-to-launch-canada-türkiye-free-trade-talks-during-nato-summit
CanadaJul 07, 2026

Carney, Erdogan agree to launch Canada–Türkiye free trade talks during NATO summit

Prime Minister Mark Carney met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday during the NATO Summit in Ankara, where the two leaders discussed defence, security, critical minerals, energy and Canada's continued support for Ukraine, according to the Prime Minister's Office. The Prime Minister's Office said Carney and Erdogan also agreed to begin formal negotiations on a Canada–Türkiye Free Trade Agreement. The federal government said bilateral trade between Canada and Türkiye reached $4.3 billion in 2025 and that a trade agreement could create new opportunities for businesses, work
astronaut-jeremy-hansen-to-leave-canadian-space-agency-in-september
CanadaJul 06, 2026

Astronaut Jeremy Hansen to leave Canadian Space Agency in September

Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen is leaving the Canadian Space Agency after announcing he will step down in September to pursue new professional opportunities, the agency said. Hansen, who made history earlier this year by taking part in NASA's Artemis 2 mission around the Moon, informed the agency of his decision to leave the astronaut corps. According to the Canadian Space Agency, he will continue serving as a reservist with the Royal Canadian Air Force after his departure. The Canadian Space Agency did not provide additional details about Hansen's future plans or identify the professional o
canada-seeks-clarity-after-u-s-proposes-annual-cusma-reviews
CanadaJul 06, 2026

Canada seeks clarity after U.S. proposes annual CUSMA reviews

Canada's Minister responsible for Canada–U.S. Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says the Trump administration's proposal to review the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) every year instead of extending it in its current form until 2042 has created significant uncertainty for Ottawa. According to LeBlanc, both Canada and Mexico had sought to maintain the trade agreement for another 16 years to provide long-term certainty for businesses and investors. However, Washington has indicated it is considering substantial changes to the agreement. LeBlanc said he and Mexico's Economy Secretary Ma
prime-minister-mark-carney-departs-for-nato-summit-in-türkiye-as-defence-spending-tops-agenda
CanadaJul 06, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney departs for NATO summit in Türkiye as defence spending tops agenda

Prime Minister Mark Carney is scheduled to depart this evening for a two-day NATO leaders' summit in Türkiye. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand will accompany the Canadian delegation. According to the Prime Minister's itinerary, the visit marks the first trip to Türkiye by a Canadian prime minister since 2015. Defence spending is expected to be the central focus of the summit as NATO allies face continued pressure from the United States to increase military investment. Leaders are also expected to discuss alliance security priorities and broader geopolitical challenges during the meeting.
carney-to-visit-saudi-arabia-next-week-as-rights-concerns-draw-renewed-attention
CanadaJul 03, 2026

Carney to visit Saudi Arabia next week as rights concerns draw renewed attention

Prime Minister Mark Carney will travel to Saudi Arabia from July 8 to 10 for a bilateral visit, where he is scheduled to meet Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The trip will mark the first official visit to Saudi Arabia by a Canadian prime minister in 26 years. According to federal officials, the visit is aimed at strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between Canada and Saudi Arabia. However, officials have not confirmed whether Carney will raise concerns about human rights during his meetings with Saudi leaders. Relations between the two countries deteriorated in 2018 after the Trudeau g
carney-eby-announce-mou-on-b-c-tanker-ban-and-pipeline-compensation
CanadaJul 02, 2026

Carney, Eby announce MOU on B.C. tanker ban and pipeline compensation

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby announced Thursday that they have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) under which the federal government has committed to maintaining the oil tanker ban on British Columbia's North Coast. According to the announcement, the agreement also provides that British Columbia would receive full compensation if any future oil pipeline crosses the province. The MOU does not require the province to support future oil pipeline projects as a condition of the agreement. Carney said the agreement could help attract up to $150 billion in
CanadaJul 02, 2026

Woman arrested after parking dispute leads to stabbing in Oshawa on Canada Day

A 53-year-old woman has been arrested after an alleged stabbing during a dispute over a parking space in Oshawa on Canada Day left another woman seriously injured. According to Durham Regional Police, the incident occurred at about 5 p.m. on Wednesday near Lakeview Park Avenue and Simcoe Street South. Police said a confrontation over a parking space involving the suspect, a young man and another woman escalated into a physical altercation. Investigators allege the 53-year-old woman produced a knife during the confrontation. Police said the other party used dog spray in an attempt to defend the
rcmp-search-montréal-nord-residence-in-suspected-human-smuggling-investigation
CanadaJul 02, 2026

RCMP search Montréal-Nord residence in suspected human smuggling investigation

RCMP officers executed a search warrant at a residence in Montréal-Nord on Thursday as part of an ongoing investigation into a suspected human smuggling operation. According to the RCMP, investigators believe the residence was used to house migrants either after they were allegedly smuggled into Canada from the United States or before being transported across the border into the U.S. Police said one suspected smuggler and one migrant were arrested. No charges had been announced as of publication. The RCMP said the investigation remains active and did not release additional details about the a
prime-minister-mark-carney-cancels-edmonton-address-after-severe-weather-delays-ottawa-departure
CanadaJul 02, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney cancels Edmonton address after severe weather delays Ottawa departure

Prime Minister Mark Carney's planned address in Edmonton on Wednesday was cancelled after severe weather in Ottawa prevented his aircraft from departing on schedule. According to the Prime Minister's Office, heavy rain, strong winds and storm conditions in Ottawa made it impossible for the prime minister's flight to take off in time for the scheduled event. A spokesperson confirmed the address was cancelled because Carney could not arrive in Edmonton as planned. The Edmonton speech was expected to focus on Canadian unity. Earlier on Canada Day, Carney urged Canadians to remain united during hi

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees