24.97°C Vancouver

News

carney-advisory-committee-meets-to-discuss-u-s-tariffs-and-canadas-trade-response
CanadaJul 22, 2026

Carney advisory committee meets to discuss U.S. tariffs and Canada’s trade response

Prime Minister Mark Carney’s Advisory Council on Canada–United States Relations met Tuesday evening to discuss Canada's response to the United States' decision to impose new tariffs on Canadian goods. The meeting, chaired by Canada–U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, included Canada's chief trade negotiator with the United States, Janice Charette, Ambassador to the United States Mark Wiseman, and other council members. According to the federal government, discussions focused on the potential impact of the tariffs on key Canadian industries and measures to protect Canada's economic inter
proposed-50-trump-tariffs-on-canadian-exports-could-face-court-challenge-experts-say
CanadaJul 22, 2026

Proposed 50% Trump Tariffs on Canadian Exports Could Face Court Challenge, Experts Say

U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed 50 per cent tariffs on approximately $28 billion worth of Canadian exports could face legal challenges, although trade law experts say the administration's legal position appears stronger than in previous cases. According to reports, the White House is relying on Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930 to impose the new duties. The provision authorizes the U.S. president to impose tariffs if another country's trade policies are deemed discriminatory toward the United States. Legal experts say the provision has not previously been used in this manner. The Wh
trump-says-canada-depends-on-u-s-poilievre-calls-proposed-50-tariff-unjustified
CanadaJul 21, 2026

Trump says Canada depends on U.S.; Poilievre calls proposed 50% tariff 'unjustified'

U.S. President Donald Trump and Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre have exchanged sharply contrasting messages as trade tensions between Canada and the United States continue to escalate. Speaking to reporters, Trump said he "loves the people of Canada" but claimed the country "would not exist without the United States" and needs the U.S. to survive. The remarks come amid an ongoing trade dispute between the two countries. Poilievre, meanwhile, criticized Trump's proposed 50 per cent tariff, calling it "unjustified" and harmful to both Canadian workers and American consumers. According
carney-says-trump-agreed-to-accelerate-tariff-talks-as-canada-weighs-response
CanadaJul 21, 2026

Carney says Trump agreed to accelerate tariff talks as Canada weighs response

Prime Minister Mark Carney says he spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump by phone on Tuesday morning about the latest tariff dispute, confirming the two leaders discussed measures announced by the United States. Speaking to reporters in Ottawa, Carney said the proposed U.S. tariffs violate the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). He said Trump agreed to accelerate discussions in the coming weeks as both countries seek to address the trade dispute. Asked whether Canada is considering retaliatory tariffs, Carney said all options remain on the table if the proposed U.S. tariffs tak
carney-criticizes-trumps-new-50-tariff-on-canadian-imports
CanadaJul 21, 2026

Carney criticizes Trump's new 50% tariff on Canadian imports

Prime Minister Mark Carney has criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's announcement of a new 50 per cent tariff on Canadian imports, calling it another example of the United States' unilateral trade policy. In a statement, Carney said the measure is a direct violation of the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). According to the Prime Minister's statement, Canada has previously responded with proportionate countermeasures after the United States imposed what Ottawa described as unjustified tariffs on Canada's auto sector. Carney said Canada remains committed to protecting its wor
CanadaJul 20, 2026

Canada Child Benefit payments increase takes effect today, millions of families to receive higher amounts

Higher Canada Child Benefit (CCB) payments began rolling out today following the federal government's annual benefit adjustment. According to the Government of Canada, the increase is expected to benefit approximately 3.6 million families and about 6 million children across the country. Under the updated benefit rates, eligible families can receive up to $8,157 annually for each child under the age of six, an increase of $160 from the previous benefit year. For children aged six to 17, the maximum annual payment has increased to $6,883, up $135 from last year. According to the Canada Revenue A
CanadaJul 20, 2026

Wildfire destroys seasonal camp at Whitewater Lake First Nation in northwestern Ontario

A wildfire has destroyed much of the seasonal camp at Whitewater Lake First Nation, located about 250 kilometres north of Thunder Bay, marking the second First Nation community in Ontario to suffer significant wildfire damage in less than a week. According to Chief Pauline Drake, the fire destroyed multiple buildings, personal belongings and critical infrastructure at the site. Whitewater Lake First Nation is used primarily as a seasonal camp and has no permanent residents. The community is accessible only by floatplane for about six months of the year. The latest damage follows wildfire destr
canadas-annual-inflation-rate-eases-to-2-8-in-june-as-gasoline-prices-fall
CanadaJul 20, 2026

Canada’s annual inflation rate eases to 2.8% in June as gasoline prices fall

Canada’s annual inflation rate slowed to 2.8 per cent in June, down from 3.2 per cent in May, largely because of lower gasoline prices, according to Statistics Canada. The federal agency said a decline in fuel prices helped ease overall inflation pressures. Grocery prices also continued to rise, but at a slower pace, increasing 3.9 per cent year over year in June compared with 4.3 per cent in May. Despite the slowdown, grocery inflation remained above the overall inflation rate for a 17th consecutive month, highlighting the continued impact of higher food costs on Canadian households. The Ba
CanadaJul 17, 2026

Brampton man identified as homicide victim after body found in Stoney Creek

Hamilton Police have identified a man whose body was found in a Stoney Creek creek on Wednesday morning as 29-year-old Taranpreet Singh Sidhu of Brampton. Investigators have confirmed the case is being treated as a homicide. According to Hamilton Police, Sidhu's body was discovered in a creek near Fruitland Road North and Harbour Drive after a passerby spotted him partially submerged in the water on nearby rocks. Emergency responders attended the scene and confirmed he had died. Detective Sergeant Robert Delaney said Sidhu came to Canada from India in 2022 and had worked as a truck driver whil

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees