18.58°C Vancouver

News

violent-sexual-assault-in-victoria-police-asking-witnesses-to-come-forward
BCSep 10, 2020

Violent sexual assault in Victoria; police asking witnesses to come forward

Victoria police are asking any witnesses to come forward if they have information about a violent sexual assault that happened just north of the downtown core late Monday night. Police say the victim was injured and was treated in hospital after being attacked and then sexually assaulted by an unknown man just after 10 p.m. The victim reports the attacker was 30 to 40 years old, black, about six feet tall and spoke with an East African accent. He also wore a mask, jeans and T-shirt and was pushing an older-style racing bicycle.
alberta-health-services-declares-covid-19-outbreaks-at-two-southern-alberta-schools
CanadaSep 10, 2020

Alberta Health Services declares COVID-19 outbreaks at two southern Alberta schools

Two COVID-19 outbreaks have been declared at high schools in southern Alberta. A letter sent to parents of students at Henry Wise Wood High School from Alberta Health Services says two or more cases have been confirmed at the southwest Calgary school. It says the local medical officer of health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at the school and public health is investigating to determine who may have been exposed to the virus. A similar letter was sent to parents with children at Chinook High School in Lethbridge. The letter from the medical officers of health from Lethbridge and Medicine Hat
home-quarantine-exception-for-kangana-ranaut
EnglishSep 10, 2020

Home quarantine exception for Kangana Ranaut

In a recent development regarding the demolition of Kangana Ranaut’s office building by BMC, we hear now that the actress has been exempted from the 14-day home quarantine rule by the BMC itself. The rule is for people arriving from outside the state. Ranaut arrived in the city on September 9 and has been in the news ever since.According to a senior BMC official, Kangana had made an online application for the exemption of home quarantine as she was on a short visit. The official said that she was exempted under the 'short-term visitor category'. The actress will reportedly be leaving the cit
trudeau-to-take-questions-in-liberal-partys-first-ever-virtual-fundraiser
CanadaSep 10, 2020

Trudeau to take questions in Liberal party's first-ever virtual fundraiser

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is offering himself up for questions from Liberal party supporters in a first-of-its-kind virtual fundraiser tonight. Donors ponying up any amount but $25 is what the party suggests get to participate in a mass video link and pose written questions to the Liberal leader.The party says it has received more than 500 questions so far. Montreal MP Rachel Bendayan is moderating the event and will choose which questions to put to Trudeau. Trudeau normally attends multiple fundraisers across the country but the COVID-19 pandemic has put an end to large in-person gatheri
bmc-files-response-on-kangana-ranaut-plea-against-demolition-hc-adjourns-hearing-till-sept-22
IndiaSep 10, 2020

BMC files response on Kangana Ranaut plea against demolition, HC adjourns hearing till Sept 22

The Bombay High Court on Thursday adjourned the plea filed by Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut against the demolition of alleged "illegal alteration" at her property in Mumbai, till September 22. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) today filed its response in the matter, following which Kangana's lawyer sought time to respond to the affidavit.The High Court had yesterday stayed the demolition drive being undertaken by the BMC at Kangana Ranaut's property. Ranaut, through her lawyer Rizwan Siddiqui, had moved the High Court against the demolition of what the BMC termed as "illegal altera
ford-accuses-ottawa-of-failing-to-enforce-quarantine-orders-in-ontario
CanadaSep 10, 2020

Ford accuses Ottawa of failing to enforce quarantine orders in Ontario

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the quarantine system is "broken" because federal health officers are not charging people ignoring self-isolation orders for COVID-19. Since the end of March, an emergency order under the federal Quarantine Act has required most people arriving from outside Canada to isolate themselves for 14 days, even if they don't have symptoms.Federal quarantine officers can lay charges with penalties of up to six months in jail and fines of $750,000, while police can issue tickets of up to $1,000. Federal health officials say nobody has been arrested for ignoring a quaranti
former-finance-minister-bill-morneau-broke-elections-law-ahead-of-last-campaign
CanadaSep 10, 2020

Former finance minister Bill Morneau broke elections law ahead of last campaign

Canada's election watchdog says former finance minister Bill Morneau broke the law when he promoted Liberal candidates at events he attended while in charge of the finance portfolio.The commissioner of Canada elections says before the last federal election, Morneau pumped up two prospective candidates who were attending separate events he headlined as finance minister.One candidate, Anita Anand, has since gone on to become a cabinet minister herself.Ministers aren't allowed to use taxpayer funds for partisan gain, but there are also provisions in election law that bar anyone but individuals fr
100-new-covid-19-cases-and-two-new-outbreaks-reported-in-b-c
BCSep 10, 2020

100 new COVID-19 cases and two new outbreaks reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. "Today, we are announcing 100 new cases, and no new epi-linked cases, for a total of 6,691 cases in British Columbia. "There are 1,378 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, 3,101 people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases and 5,086 people who tested positive have recovered. "Currently, 37 individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19
trump-said-of-virus-i-wanted-to-always-play-it-down
WorldSep 09, 2020

Trump said of virus, 'I wanted to always play it down'

A new book by journalist Bob Woodward says US President Donald Trump seemed to understand the severity of the pandemic, even as he was downplaying the COVID-19 threat to Americans. Trump had insisted earlier this year that the virus was no worse than the seasonal flu and that the U-S government had it totally under control. But Woodward says in a February phone call with Trump, the president stressed the deadly nature of the novel coronavirus. Trump is also quoted as saying, ``It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.'' Trump told Woodward on March 19 that he deliberately minimized

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri