24.3°C Vancouver

News

edmonton-man-wanted-on-canada-wide-warrant-in-toronto-homicide
BCMar 04, 2026

Edmonton man wanted on Canada-wide warrant in Toronto homicide

The Toronto Police Service says a 19-year-old man from Edmonton is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant in connection with a fatal shooting in Rexdale last month. At a joint update with York Regional Police, Det. Sgt. Sandra Arruda of the homicide and missing persons unit said officers responded at about 3:26 p.m. on Feb. 7 to reports of a shooting in the parking lot of Woodbine Shopping Centre, near Rexdale Boulevard and Highway 27. According to police, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead. Inv
b-c-to-introduce-mandatory-crane-licensing-and-permitting-after-seven-fatalities-in-five-years
BCMar 04, 2026

B.C. to introduce mandatory crane licensing and permitting after seven fatalities in five years

The British Columbia government says it will introduce mandatory crane-related licensing and permitting following a series of fatal workplace accidents over the past five years. In a statement Tuesday, the province said it plans to establish a new WorkSafeBC crane licensing and permitting program to ensure crane operations meet “consistent, high-quality safety requirements.” According to the government, there have been seven crane-related fatalities in B.C. during that period, with 373 cranes currently in operation across the province. The announcement follows a WorkSafeBC report into the
b-c-chief-coroner-announces-investigation-into-tumbler-ridge-mass-shooting
BCMar 03, 2026

B.C. chief coroner announces investigation into Tumbler Ridge mass shooting

British Columbia Chief Coroner Jatinder Baidwan announced Tuesday that a formal investigation will be conducted into the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge. Speaking at a press conference in Victoria, Baidwan said the purpose of the investigation is to establish the facts surrounding the incident and issue recommendations aimed at preventing similar tragedies in the future. He said the process is also intended to help restore public confidence in the system. According to the BC Coroners Service, the investigation will examine how individuals experiencing a mental health crisis are identified and w
minister-sunner-explains-the-need-of-bill-7-in-an-interview-with-connect-fm
BCMar 03, 2026

Minister Sunner explains the need of Bill 7 in an interview with Connect FM

The BC government has introduced Bill 7, in the legislature to provide education quality assurance, strengthen oversight, and crack down on bad actors. In this regard, in an exclusive interview with Connect FM today, BC's Minister of Post-Secondary education and Future Skills, Jessie Sooner, answered questions about the need for the bill, its timeline, identification of bad actors and penalties, and its alignment with federal laws. Minister Sunner said, “this legislation will provide more tools and will be useful in maintaining international education standards.” Minister Sunner said that
provincial-site-funding-leads-to-121-arrests-major-drug-and-weapon-seizures-in-kelowna
BCMar 03, 2026

Provincial SITE funding leads to 121 arrests, major drug and weapon seizures in Kelowna

The Kelowna RCMP says provincial funding through British Columbia’s Special Investigations and Targeted Enforcement program has led to 121 arrests, the recommendation of 163 criminal charges and the seizure of firearms, drugs and cash over a seven-month period. According to a Kelowna RCMP news release, the detachment received funding from the Province of British Columbia and the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General to support additional intelligence-led enforcement between June 1, 2025, and Jan. 15, 2026. The initiative focused on violent crime, repeat offenders and organized crim
BCMar 03, 2026

Two arrested after cocaine seizure in Langford drug trafficking investigation

Two Langford residents were arrested after police seized more than 350 grams of suspected cocaine, cash and silver during a drug trafficking investigation in the West Shore area. According to a release from the Westshore RCMP Drugs and Organized Crime Unit, the investigation began in February 2026 into a suspected drug trafficker operating in the region. On February 20, officers arrested a 44-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman and executed two search warrants at a Langford residence. Police said investigators located evidence consistent with a drug trafficking operation, including packaging
unseasonably-warm-temperatures-set-daily-records-in-five-b-c-communities
BCMar 03, 2026

Unseasonably warm temperatures set daily records in five B.C. communities

Unseasonably warm weather has returned to British Columbia, with five communities setting new daily high temperature records this week, according to Environment Canada. In Pemberton, about 150 kilometres north of Vancouver, temperatures reached nearly 16 C on Monday, surpassing the previous daily record by almost 13 degrees. The earlier record had been set in 2025. In Trail, in the West Kootenay region, the temperature climbed to 14 C, breaking the previous record of 11 C set in 2021. Cranbrook, near the Alberta boundary, recorded 12.4 C, edging out the 12.1 C mark set in 1986. Environment Can
avalanche-in-kootenay-pass-kills-23-year-old-snowmobiler
BCMar 02, 2026

Avalanche in Kootenay Pass kills 23-year-old snowmobiler

A 23-year-old man has died after an avalanche swept over two snowmobilers in British Columbia’s Kootenay Pass area on Saturday, according to police. Creston RCMP said officers were alerted through an SOS tracking device that someone was in distress in the backcountry. Shortly afterward, police were informed that an avalanche had occurred and that one of the buried riders was non-responsive after being dug out. Police said other snowmobilers in the area were able to rescue both individuals. The 23-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been released. According to Aval
extortion-charges-laid-after-surrey-home-targeted-in-shootings-one-suspect-sought-by-police
BCMar 02, 2026

Extortion charges laid after Surrey home targeted in shootings, one suspect sought by police

Three foreign nationals have been charged with extortion and firearms offences following shootings at a Surrey home in November, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The charges were announced Friday by the B.C. RCMP-led Extortion Task Force, which was established to investigate a series of threats, shootings and arsons across British Columbia. Police have said the incidents have largely targeted members of the South Asian business community. According to police, 22-year-old Avtar Singh, 28-year-old Sandeep Singh and 24-year-old Jagdeep Singh are charged with extortion and unlawfull

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees