1.03°C Vancouver

News

more-than-17-million-doses-of-oxford-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-administered-and-concerns-about-blood-clots-related-to-37-cases-dr-bonnie-henry
BCMar 16, 2021

More than 17 million doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine administered and concerns about blood clots related to 37 cases: Dr. Bonnie Henry

BC is reporting 1,506 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days. And provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 10 more people have died, bringing the death toll in BC to 1,407. Dr. Henry used her COVID update today to urge people to get vaccinated as soon as possible with whatever vaccine they are offered. She says concerns about blood clots that have led some countries to suspend use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine appear to be related to 37 cases. She says blood clots can occur naturally and that's out of more than 17 million doses administered so far. BC's initial shipment of
man-expected-to-survive-after-police-involved-shooting-in-victoria-early-monday
BCMar 16, 2021

Man expected to survive after police-involved shooting in Victoria early Monday

Police are releasing few details about an officer-involved shooting in Victoria on Monday. A statement from Victoria police says a man armed with a weapon was shot by officers during an altercation at Royal Jubilee Hospital shortly before 5:30 a.m. Police say the victim is believed to have non-life-threatening injuries and no officers were hurt. The statement from Const. Cam MacIntyre says police were in the area on an unrelated call when they were alerted to a man at the hospital, allegedly carrying a weapon. MacIntyre says police used a less-lethal stun gun when they encountered the man but
39-year-old-man-facing-several-charges-after-allegedly-attacking-a-man-with-a-firearm-in-nanaimo
BCMar 16, 2021

39 year old man facing several charges after allegedly attacking a man with a firearm in Nanaimo

RCMP say a 39 year old man is facing several charges after he allegedly struck another man repeatedly with a firearm in a Nanaimo parking lot. Police say several bystanders were able to disarm the suspect following the attack yesterday afternoon and stopped him from fleeing on his motorbike. They say the 50 year old victim was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He was struck with a firearm and other items. The male suspect was arrested for assault with a weapon, uttering threats and a number of firearm-related charges.
lawyer-for-meng-wanzhou-argues-new-evidence-would-challenge-hsbc-loan-loss-risk
BCMar 15, 2021

Lawyer for Meng Wanzhou argues new evidence would challenge HSBC loan loss risk

A lawyer for Huawei's chief financial officer is asking a B.C. Supreme Court judge to admit new evidence in her extradition case. Frank Addario says the evidence should be allowed if the Crown plans to argue that an international bank at the centre of Meng Wanzhou's fraud case suffered a real risk of loan loss as a result of her alleged actions. Meng is accused of misrepresenting Huawei's control over technology company Skycom in a presentation to HSBC, putting the bank at risk of violating U.S. sanctions against Iran. Both she and Huawei deny the allegations. Addario says the evidence is an
another-ward-at-vancouver-general-hospital-closed-by-covid-19-outbreak
BCMar 15, 2021

Another ward at Vancouver General Hospital closed by COVID-19 outbreak

An outbreak of COVID-19 has closed another ward at Vancouver General Hospital, while the health authority says outbreak precautions have been lifted in a separate unit. A statement from Vancouver Coastal Health says two patients have tested positive for COVID-19 on an in-patient unit in the hospital's Jim Pattison Pavilion. The unit is now closed to all admissions, transfers and most visits, but other hospital facilities, including the emergency ward, remain open. Another unit, which is also in the Jim Pattison Pavilion, remains closed after an outbreak there last month. But the health author
covid-19-booking-system-picks-up-pace-in-b-c-as-those-aged-80-84-eligible-this-week
BCMar 15, 2021

COVID-19 booking system picks up pace in B.C. as those aged 80-84 eligible this week

The British Columbia government says age-based bookings for COVID-19 vaccinations are one week ahead of schedule and seniors aged 84 and older, plus Indigenous elders 65 and up, can make an appointment for a shot.The Health Ministry says those 83 and older can make an appointment Tuesday and the age eligibility drops daily until anyone 80 and older can make arrangements for a COVID-19 jab by the end of the week.Added staff at call centres across B.C. have helped speed up the process and the province says the centres are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.An estimated 100,000 people are included
b-c-has-no-deaths-in-latest-tally-but-648-new-cases-of-covid-19
BCMar 13, 2021

B.C. has no deaths in latest tally, but 648 new cases of COVID-19

Health officials are calling on British Columbians to balance the easing of some outdoor restrictions by keeping up safety measures when indoors. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say an amended order allowing 10 people who know each other to gather outside does not apply to indoor locations. They say in a release that all safety plans should continue being followed in workplaces, schools and grocery stores, for example. B.C. has recorded 648 new cases of COVID-19, including 79 that are variants of concern, the vast majority involving the one first iden
two-rcmp-officers-in-metro-vancouver-face-charges-of-assault
BCMar 13, 2021

Two RCMP officers in Metro Vancouver face charges of assault

Mounties in British Columbia say the provincial prosecution service has approved charges of assault against two Metro Vancouver officers. The allegations stem from a stolen vehicle investigation in October 2019. Police say in a news release that officers from the Surrey RCMP Auto Crime Target Team located a man allegedly driving a stolen vehicle. The release says the vehicle was stopped and the driver arrested in Richmond with the help of another RCMP officer, but the man was allegedly assaulted during the arrest. Const. John Tsonos of the Surrey detachment and Const. Mathew McGuire of Richmo
BCMar 13, 2021

Horgan supports vaccine passports for international travel but lukewarm for B.C.

Premier John Horgan says he will support requirements that ensure international travellers produce a type of COVID-19 vaccine passport, but he's not convinced people in British Columbia should provide the same evidence to attend local events. Horgan says there is an absolute need for international travellers to provide proof that they received a COVID-19 vaccine. However, he says he's unsure if the same policy should be implemented locally, for things like sports or entertainment events when they resume. The premier says the issue of vaccine certificates was a topic of discussion between Prim

Just In

man-arrested-after-alleged-vehicle-thefts-and-fire-in-east-vancouver
BCFeb 13, 2026

Man arrested after alleged vehicle thefts and fire in East Vancouver

Vancouver Police say a 41-year-old man is in custody following a series of incidents in East Vancouver on Wednesday afternoon that involved a stolen motorcycle, a damaged work truck, and a small vehicle fire. According to investigators, the sequence began shortly before 1:50 p.m. on February 12, when a motorcycle was reported stolen near Main Street and Industrial Avenue. About an hour later, the motorcycle was found abandoned near Mountain View Cemetery, in the area of Fraser Street and East 41st Avenue. Police allege the suspect then entered a work truck parked inside the cemetery grounds, d
BCFeb 13, 2026

Coordinated Police Operation on Vancouver Island Targets Gang-Linked Drug Networks

A four-day coordinated enforcement operation on Vancouver Island has led to multiple arrests, drug seizures and the removal of weapons, as police agencies worked together to disrupt organized crime activity in the region. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia conducted the deployment from January 29 to February 1, partnering with West Shore RCMP, Saanich Police Department and Victoria Police Department. The initiative focused on gang-related activity and intelligence-led enforcement aimed at reducing the availability of illegal drugs and preventing violence. During t
ed-officer-transferred-after-summons-issued-to-former-punjab-cm-amarinder-singh-son
IndiaFeb 13, 2026

ED officer transferred after summons issued to former Punjab CM Amarinder Singh, son

A senior Enforcement Directorate officer posted in Punjab has been transferred days after summons were issued to former Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh and his son Raninder Singh in connection with an ongoing investigation. Official sources confirmed that Additional Director Ravi Tiwari has been reassigned to Chennai as part of an administrative transfer. The move has drawn attention in political circles, where it is being viewed in the context of the recent summons sent to the former chief minister and his son. The Enforcement Directorate had asked Raninder Singh to appear on Fe
alberta-premier-says-she-has-not-signed-separation-petition-as-referendum-effort-continues
AlbertaFeb 13, 2026

Alberta premier says she has not signed separation petition as referendum effort continues

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she has not signed any citizen petitions currently circulating in the province, including one calling for a referendum on Alberta separating from Canada. Speaking alongside Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides, Smith said the citizen initiative process is designed for members of the public and not elected officials. She added that her government is monitoring several petition efforts underway but is not directly participating in them. A group advocating for Alberta to become an independent country is working to gather the required signatures to trigger a
bangladesh-nationalist-party-secures-majority-in-general-election-regional-leaders-extend-congratulations
WorldFeb 13, 2026

Bangladesh Nationalist Party secures majority in general election, regional leaders extend congratulations

The Bangladesh Nationalist Party has won a clear majority in Bangladesh’s general election, marking a significant shift in the country’s political landscape after nearly two decades. According to preliminary results, the BNP-led alliance secured 212 of the 299 parliamentary seats contested nationwide. An 11-party alliance led by Jamaat-e-Islami won 77 seats, positioning it as the main opposition bloc in the new parliament. The outcome paves the way for BNP president Tarique Rahman to assume the office of prime minister. Rahman contested from two constituencies and was declared elected in b