20.55°C Vancouver

News

road-closure-for-hours-after-fatal-collision-in-langley
BCNov 10, 2021

Road closure for hours after fatal collision in Langley

248th Street was closed between 64th and 68th Avenues as Langley RCMP investigated a single vehicle fatal collision that occurred just after 12:00 this morning. The Hyundai Genesis was traveling northbound on 248th Street at what is believed to be a high rate of speed when it went off the road to the left and collided with a tree. The driver and lone occupant, a 17 year old male from Langley, did not survive the collision. His family has been advised of his passing.ICARS (Integrated Collision Analysts and Reconstruction Service) attended to assist Langley RCMP and the Criminal Collision Invest
cfseu-bcs-jigit-arrest-a-male-and-female-for-loan-sharking-and-money-laundering
BCNov 10, 2021

CFSEU-BC’s JIGIT arrest a male and female for loan-sharking and money laundering

BC's anti-gang squad and the illegal gaming investigation unit have teamed up to investigate allegations of loansharking and money laundering against two people. Police say a 33 year old woman from Richmond and 49 year old man from Vancouver have been arrested over allegations they laundered more than 800,000 in Canadian cash. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and the gaming team say they begin their investigation in August 2019 and it culminated with warrants used last week to search properties in Richmond and Burnaby. Police say they seized score sheets with clients names and pay
BCNov 10, 2021

Log fire at Quesnel, B.C., mill could burn for days, but mill undamaged: West Fraser

Logs stored in the yard of a Quesnel, B.C., wood products mill are burning and the company that owns the mill says the flames could take days to put out. A spokesperson for West Fraser Timber says in a written statement that the fire was spotted Tuesday afternoon in the log storage yard at the WestPine Medium Density Fibreboard mill. The statement says the fire is contained and the mill is not in danger but because of the amount of fuel available, it's expected the pile will burn for several days. Operations at the mill are continuing as normal and the spokesperson says no one has been hurt. A
treacherous-conditions-on-coquihalla-highway-have-eased-slightly-after-heacy-snowfall
BCNov 10, 2021

Treacherous conditions on Coquihalla Highway have eased slightly after heacy snowfall

Treacherous conditions on the Coquihalla Highway have eased slightly after a storm dumped 38 centimetres on the section between Hope and Merritt overnight. The route was closed in both directions until early this morning as crews handled problems ranging from spin outs and fender benders to jackknifed transport trucks, but no serious injuries were reported. Conditions were also challenging on the Coquihalla connector and through Allison Pass in Manning Park, although snowfall was not as heavy on those highways. A snowfall warning remained in effect for the Hope to Merritt section of the Coqui
man-guilty-of-first-degree-murder-in-2019-homicide-in-vancouver
BCNov 10, 2021

Man guilty of first degree murder in 2019 homicide in Vancouver

A Vancouver man has been convicted of first degree murder following a Vancouver Police investigation into the death of a 69 year old man.Just before midnight on January 26, 2019, Vancouver Police responded to several 911 calls about a shooting near Fraser Street and East 51 Avenue. Vancouver resident Zenen Cepeda Silva was found suffering from a gunshot injury and was transported to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.Alvaro Julio Roche Garcia, 60, was arrested days after the incident and charges were approved by BC Prosecution Services. Following a trial, a jury returned a guilty verdict o
police-office-dismissed-for-repeatedly-calling-in-sick-and-then-going-to-coach-hockey
BCNov 10, 2021

Police office dismissed for repeatedly calling in sick and then going to coach hockey

A West Vancouver Police Department officer has been dismissed for repeatedly calling in sick and then going to coach hockey instead. The 2021 annual report from the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner says an internal investigation found the officer had called in sick 25 times in four years between 2015 and 2019. The officer resigned before he was fired, but the OPCC report says his employment records were amended to reflect his dismissal. In a second hockey-related case, the report says a Delta police officer was reprimanded for verbally abusing a minor-league hockey referee and ref
b-c-to-offer-single-dose-j-j-vaccine-to-unvaccinated-health-care-workers-first
BCNov 10, 2021

B.C. to offer single-dose J&J vaccine to unvaccinated health-care workers first

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says unvaccinated health-care workers will be offered the first opportunity to receive the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine against COVID-19 when it arrives in British Columbia next week. Dr. Henry says the federal government will provide B.C. with a limited number of doses of the vaccine, which has been widely used in the United States. She says the vaccine has not yet been available in the province. Dr. Henry says some unvaccinated health-care workers who were placed on mandatory unpaid leave for three months have suggested they would take
BCNov 10, 2021

O'Toole reveals his shadow cabinet, several members from B.C. included

Several federal Conservative party members from BC have been named to the Tory's newly announced shadow cabinet. Party leader Erin O'Toole released his critics list this morning, including Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola MP Dan Albas as environment and climate change critic. Former Conservative minister and Abbotsford MP Ed Fast is critic for Innovation, Science and Industry and another former minister. South Surrey-White Rock's Kerry-Lynne Findlay, has been named critic for national defence. In all, eight of 13 BC MP's have a place in O'Toole's shadow cabinet.
three-suspects-brandished-guns-in-the-attempted-theft-of-21-dollars-worth-of-ice-cream-in-vancouver-police
BCNov 10, 2021

Three suspects brandished guns in the attempted theft of 21 dollars worth of ice cream in Vancouver: Police

Police in Vancouver say three suspects brandished guns in the attempted theft of 21-dollars worth of ice cream from a grocery store last night. They say a 40 year old suspect flashed a gun while attempting to steal three tubs of ice cream, and two accomplices did the same thing to allow him to flee when staff tried to stop him. Sergeant Steve Addison says such a level of violence in a petty crime is shocking and unacceptable. Addison says the ice-cream thief and his alleged accomplices, a 27 year old man and a 31 year old woman were each arrested for robbery.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to