24.8°C Vancouver

News

alberta-man-arrested-in-fraser-valley-charged-with-multiple-offences-including-dangerous-operation-of-a-motor-vehicle
BCJan 17, 2022

Alberta man arrested in Fraser Valley charged with multiple offences including dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Police in Abbotsford say an Alberta man has been arrested in connection with the theft of a semi-truck in the Fraser Valley community. Constable Paul Walker says members of the Chilliwack RCMP attempted to stop the driver before he collided with another vehicle. Walker says police did not pursue the truck due to the man's driving behaviour and heavy fog but he later struck a concrete barrier and escaped before trying to steal a vehicle from a business complex, where members of the public intervened. He says 28 year old Rory Serna has been charged with multiple offences including dangerous ope
passengers-should-check-for-ferry-cancellations-due-to-staffing-issues-bc-ferries
BCJan 17, 2022

Passengers should check for ferry cancellations due to staffing issues: BC Ferries

A BC Ferries spokesman says passengers should check for possible service disruptions before they arrive at a terminal because sailings have recently been cancelled due to staffing issues. Dan McIntosh says COVID-19 infections among employees, as well as seasonal cold and flu and winter storms could nix travel plans if vessels don't have enough employees to operate them as usual. He says staff have been cross-trained to do other duties and can be deployed on other routes, but that may not be enough if certain members of the crew, like the captain, or engineers, can't be on the job. Four sailin
BCJan 17, 2022

Truckers call on B.C. government to ensure dangerous highways cleaned

A group representing truckers says drivers will stop delivering goods if the province doesn't ensure B-C's highways are cleared of snow and potholes are fixed. Ajay Toor, who speaks for the West Coast Trucking Association, says several drivers have been involved in serious crashes in recent weeks due to black ice and gaping holes that are dangerous. Toor says drivers who report problems to the DriveBC website are informed they should be emailing contractors, but it's impossible to figure out which of the 28 contractors are responsible for specific routes. The Transportation Ministry did not im
b-c-reports-2-275-new-covid-19-cases-as-hospitalizations-rise-past-600
BCJan 15, 2022

B.C. reports 2,275 new COVID-19 cases as hospitalizations rise past 600

B.C. is reporting 2,275 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 293,521 cases in the province.There are 35,943 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 251,846 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 646 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 95 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.The new/active cases include:813 new cases in Fraser HealthTotal active cases: 17,256523 new cases in Vancouver Coastal HealthTotal active cases: 9,397412 new cases in Interior HealthTotal active cases
two-more-b-c-schools-declare-functional-closures-amid-illnesses-and-isolations-due-to-the-omicron-variant-on-covid-19
BCJan 15, 2022

Two more B.C. schools declare functional closures amid illnesses and isolations due to the Omicron variant on COVID-19

Two more schools have declared functional closures in BC as illnesses and isolations due to the Omicron variant of COVID-19 leave a handful of elementary and secondary schools without enough staff to operate safely. Heritage Park Middle School in Mission is closed from today until next Thursday while Armstrong Elementary in Armstrong expects to reopen on Tuesday, as those two schools join Hazelton Secondary in northwestern BC and an independent Christian school in Surrey that declared functional closures earlier this week. BC School Trustees Association president Stephanie Higginson says, all
80km-section-between-lytton-and-spences-bridge-reopened-nearly-two-months-after-slides-and-washouts
BCJan 14, 2022

80km section between Lytton and Spences Bridge reopened nearly two months after slides and washouts

A section of Highway 1 through the southern Interior has reopened nearly two months after it was torn apart by slides and washouts. The 80 kilometre section between Lytton and Spences Bridge reopened this morning to general travel and some commercial traffic after it was damaged by severe storms in November. Parts of the route are cut to single lane travel and the Transportation Ministry is warning motorists to watch for advisories and expect delays. The Thompson Nicola operations manager for the Highways Ministry says the upgrades are far from over and work will continue through the winter a
suspect-charged-after-senior-stabbed-on-skytrain-between-scott-road-and-gateway-stations
BCJan 14, 2022

Suspect charged after senior stabbed on SkyTrain between Scott road and Gateway stations

Charges have been approved following the arrest by Metro Vancouver Transit Police of a suspect in the stabbing of a 67-year-old man on board a SkyTrain.As was previously reported by Transit Police, on December 4, 2021, shortly after 1:00 p.m., a man boarded an eastbound SkyTrain at Scott Road Station. As he attempted to sit down, he accidentally bumped into another man who was about to sit in the same seat. The victim ignored the accidental bump and moved to a different part of the train. Moments later, the suspect allegedly approached the victim, got close to his face and demanded an apology.
latest-wave-of-covid-19-cases-may-have-peaked-in-parts-of-b-c-dr-bonnie-henry
BCJan 14, 2022

Latest wave of COVID-19 cases may have peaked in parts of B.C.: Dr. Bonnie Henry

COVID-19 modelling released by the British Columbia government shows the latest wave propelled by the Omicron variant may have already peaked in parts of the province. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the wave has spread faster than previous ones and health officials believe the top of the latest surge was likely reached this past weekend. The modelling figures show a decrease in infections in two health authorities, Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health, with a levelling off on Vancouver Island and a slight rise in the Interior. The data also show actual infections could be thre
BCJan 14, 2022

Vulnerable people in DTES being offered money to get fraudulent vaccine

Vancouver Coastal Health says it has prevented recent attempts to fraudulently obtain B-C vaccine cards. It says ``vulnerable people'' in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside have been approached and offered payment to get vaccinated while falsely using that person's name and information. The health authority says fraudulent vaccination records are being removed from the provincial immunization registry and the cards are being revoked. It says future instances of fraud will be brought to police.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees