22.87°C Vancouver

News

BCJun 05, 2026

B.C. adds 25,000 jobs in May as unemployment rate holds at 6.8%

British Columbia added 25,000 jobs in May, according to the latest Labour Force Survey released by Statistics Canada, reversing part of the employment losses recorded earlier this year. The gain follows a three-month period from February through April during which the province lost approximately 40,000 jobs. Despite the increase in employment, B.C.'s overall unemployment rate remained unchanged at 6.8 per cent. According to Statistics Canada data, much of the job growth was concentrated in the construction and manufacturing sectors. B.C. Jobs, Economic Development and Innovation Minister Ravi
richmond-rcmp-officer-charged-with-theft-and-breach-of-trust
BCJun 05, 2026

Richmond RCMP officer charged with theft and breach of trust

A Richmond RCMP officer has been charged with theft and breach of trust following an independent police investigation into an alleged incident that occurred on Christmas Day last year. According to the BC Prosecution Service, Const. Jae Suk Choi of the Richmond RCMP has been charged with one count of theft under $5,000 and one count of breach of trust by a public officer. The charges follow an investigation conducted by Coquitlam RCMP. Authorities said the matter relates to an alleged incident in Richmond on Dec. 25, 2025. No further details about the allegations have been released publicly. C
b-c-mla-jordan-kealy-charged-with-sexual-assault
BCJun 04, 2026

B.C. MLA Jordan Kealy charged with sexual assault

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy has been charged with sexual assault, according to the British Columbia Prosecution Service. The prosecution service said the charge relates to an alleged offence or offences that occurred between Jan. 1 and Sept. 20, 2024, in Fort St. John. The allegation has not been tested in court. Kealy represents the Peace River North riding in the B.C. legislature. The prosecution service said a special prosecutor was appointed following an RCMP investigation to help ensure the administration of justice remains free from any perceived improper influence. Accordin
single-vehicle-crash-on-highway-11-leaves-three-seriously-injured-abbotsford-police-investigating
BCJun 04, 2026

Single-Vehicle Crash on Highway 11 Leaves Three Seriously Injured, Abbotsford Police Investigating

Abbotsford police are investigating a serious single-vehicle collision that left three people injured, including one person who was airlifted to hospital in life-threatening condition. According to an Abbotsford Police Department release, patrol officers responded to the crash at approximately 12:14 a.m. on June 1 near Highway 11 and Townshipline Road. Emergency crews found a black Chrysler 300 with extensive damage and three occupants suffering from serious injuries. All three were transported to hospital for treatment, police said. The investigation is being led by the Abbotsford Police Depa
BCJun 04, 2026

B.C. Review Board grants conditional discharge to man found not criminally responsible in deaths of three children

The British Columbia Review Board has granted a conditional discharge to a man who was found not criminally responsible for the deaths of his three children in Merritt, B.C. Allen Schoenborn killed his three children in 2008. The children, aged five, eight and 10, died after being stabbed and suffocated. In 2010, a court ruled that Schoenborn was not criminally responsible for the killings because of a mental disorder. According to decisions of the B.C. Review Board, Schoenborn must continue receiving psychiatric treatment while on conditional discharge. The board may also require him to resid
surrey-police-board-confirms-departure-of-chief-constable-norm-lipinski
BCJun 02, 2026

Surrey Police Board confirms departure of Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

The Surrey Police Board has confirmed that Chief Constable Norm Lipinski has stepped down from his position with the Surrey Police Service (SPS). According to a statement from the board, Deputy Chief Constable Todd Matsumoto has been appointed interim Chief Constable effective immediately. The board said the leadership transition will not affect public safety operations or policing services in Surrey. The board also stated that a recruitment process to select a permanent Chief Constable will begin shortly. Further details on the hiring process are expected to be released in the coming weeks. L
prince-george-man-sentenced-after-pleading-guilty-in-intimate-partner-violence-case
BCJun 02, 2026

Prince George man sentenced after pleading guilty in intimate partner violence case

A Prince George man has been sentenced after pleading guilty to multiple assault-related offences connected to intimate partner violence, according to the Prince George RCMP. Police said 47-year-old Ryan Timothy Chiappe pleaded guilty in April 2026 to two counts of assault causing bodily harm and one count of assault. The charges stemmed from an investigation launched in the fall of 2024 after a victim came forward with information regarding intimate partner violence. According to the RCMP, investigators with the Prince George Serious Crimes Unit conducted a detailed investigation with the coo
BCJun 01, 2026

Fatal Maple Ridge altercation under homicide investigation, IHIT says

A homicide investigation is underway in Maple Ridge after a 28-year-old man died following an altercation on River Road, according to police. Maple Ridge RCMP said officers responded to reports of a fight in progress in the 22300 block of River Road at approximately 6:51 p.m. on May 31. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from life-threatening injuries. Despite life-saving efforts by first responders, he was pronounced dead at the scene. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has taken over the investigation. According to an IHIT news release, investigators are working wi
former-mp-kerry-lynne-findlay-elected-leader-of-bc-conservatives
BCJun 01, 2026

Former MP Kerry-Lynne Findlay elected leader of BC Conservatives

The BC Conservative Party has elected former federal Conservative MP Kerry-Lynne Findlay as its new leader following a closely contested leadership race. According to results released by the party, Findlay secured 51 per cent of the vote, narrowly defeating Caroline Elliott, who received 49 per cent. Findlay brings extensive political experience to the role. She served as a cabinet minister in former prime minister Stephen Harper’s government and most recently held the position of Opposition Whip under federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre. The leadership change comes as the BC Conser

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees