19.26°C Vancouver

News

eby-says-he-wont-be-changing-mind-on-another-b-c-pipeline-rebuffing-ford
BCJun 04, 2025

Eby says he won't be changing mind on another B.C. pipeline, rebuffing Ford

B.C. Premier David Eby says he won't be throwing his support behind a new oil pipeline through the province, dismissing Ontario Premier Doug Ford's suggestion that Eby would change his mind. Eby says in response to Ford's remarks on Monday that the publicly-owned TMX pipeline is already running through B.C., and the province doesn't support lifting the ban on oil tankers off British Columbia's northern coast. He says it's not his job to tell Ford it's "extremely unlikely" there will be a tunnel under Toronto's Highway 401, or tell Alberta Premier Danielle Smith her "vision" for a pipeline conn
new-evacuation-orders-and-alerts-issued-for-kiskatinaw-river-as-wildfire-set-to-grow
BCJun 04, 2025

New evacuation orders and alerts issued for Kiskatinaw River as wildfire set to grow

The Peace River Regional District in northeast British Columbia has issued new evacuation orders and alerts for the Kiskatinaw River area as the wildfire threatens to grow in the coming days.The district issued its third evacuation order and a fourth evacuation alert Tuesday night following a recommendation from the BC Wildfire Service.The service said it expects aggressive and challenging fire behaviour with hot, dry and windy conditions.Winds from the west are expected to reach over 50 kilometres per hour on Thursday and up to 60 kph by Friday, and will continue to drive the fire toward Ke
two-men-arrested-in-b-c-charged-with-murder-in-mississauga-ont-shooting-police
BCJun 03, 2025

Two men arrested in B.C., charged with murder in Mississauga, Ont. shooting: police

Peel Region police say two men were arrested in British Columbia and charged with murder in the shooting death of a man in Mississauga, Ont., last month. Police say 51-year-old Harjeet Dhadda of Brampton, Ont., was allegedly approached by a suspect and shot multiple times in a Mississauga parking lot the morning of May 14, and he later died in hospital. They allege the suspects fled in a stolen vehicle, which was found shortly after the shooting. Police say two 21-year-old male suspects were tracked to Delta, B.C., and with help from local police forces and the RCMP, both were arrested on May
highway-97-reopened-after-nearby-wildfire-forced-closure-near-fort-nelson-b-c
BCJun 03, 2025

Highway 97 reopened after nearby wildfire forced closure near Fort Nelson, B.C.

The stretch of the Alaska Highway near Fort Nelson, B.C., that closed Monday due to a nearby wildfire has reopened to single lane traffic. Drive BC announced the update in a post around 9:30 p.m., saying the status could change quickly depending on wildfire activity. The BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is about 26 square kilometres in size and is burning out of control about 10 kilometres northeast of Summit Lake. It is one of two "wildfires of note" in the province and prompted the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality to issue an evacuation alert on Monday for the Tetsa River Area. The w
BCJun 03, 2025

Saskatchewan fire evacuations grow after blaze breaches airport

The latest wildfire evacuees in Saskatchewan are being told to head south to Prince Albert after being ordered to leave the northern town of La Ronge. The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency issued an evacuation order Monday afternoon for the 2,500 residents of La Ronge, as well as those in nearby Air Ronge and the Lac La Ronge Indian Band after a wildfire breached the town's airport. Among the affected by the order are more than 45 acute-care patients and long-term care residents from the La Ronge Health Centre and care homes, who the Saskatchewan Health Authority and the Canadian Red Cross are
city-of-delta-celebrates-opening-of-new-delta-secondary-school-track
BCJun 02, 2025

City of Delta celebrates opening of new Delta Secondary School track​ 

On June 2, 2025, the City of Delta, in partnership with the Delta School District and Province of BC, officially opened a new track and infield at Delta Secondary School — a $5 million project funded through the Province’s Ministry of Housing and Municipal Affairs Growing Communities Fund. The upgraded facility features a six-lane synthetic running surface, new grass infield sized for soccer and rugby, combination rugby/soccer goals, two long jump runways configured for para-athletes, new drainage and irrigation, perimeter lighting, and improved pedestrian access to Memorial Park. Student
b-c-provides-peek-into-2-95b-skytrain-tunnel-set-to-open-in-2027
BCJun 02, 2025

B.C. provides peek into $2.95B SkyTrain tunnel, set to open in 2027

The British Columbia government has provided a glimpse of progress on the Broadway subway tunnel, which is set to expand Metro Vancouver's SkyTrain capacity significantly in 2027. Transportation Minister Mike Farnworth led a media tour of the construction of the tunnel, part of a 5.7-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain Millennium Line from VCC-Clark Station to Arbutus Street on Vancouver's West Side.Farnworth says the $2.95-billion construction project also features a 700-metre stretch of elevated track before the route plunges under Broadway, and about 750 workers are involved.He says the new
wso-says-stephen-harpers-comments-echo-indian-propaganda-fuel-anti-sikh-hate
BCJun 02, 2025

WSO says, Stephen Harper’s comments echo Indian propaganda, fuel anti-Sikh hate

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) has condemned former Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s recent comments about improving Canada's relations with India. WSO says, Harper once again attempted to vilify Sikh Canadians and minimize India’s role in undermining Canadian sovereignty. WSO's press release: Speaking at the Impact Media & Events Corporation’s Canada-India Charity Gala in Brampton on Saturday, Mr. Harper stated that political parties should shun Sikhs who support Khalistan if they wish to have stronger relations with India, calling the Khalistan movement “fringe” a
sombre-start-to-filipino-heritage-month-in-b-c-as-festival-attacks-shadow-lingers
BCJun 02, 2025

Sombre start to Filipino Heritage Month in B.C. as festival attack's shadow lingers

British Columbia is celebrating the start of this year's Filipino Heritage Month in a more sombre mood than usual. The celebrations come a little over a month after the deadly attack on the Lapu Lapu Day Festival in Vancouver that killed 11 people and injured scores of others. Premier David Eby says while the province continues to grieve, the community coming together to heal demonstrates how ``strength in unity'' has enriched B-C's cultural fabric. New Democrat legislative member Mable Elmore, who is of Filipino descent, says her community is healing and will emerge stronger from the trage

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to