21.63°C Vancouver

News

alberta-reports-six-more-cases-of-measles-bringing-total-to-83
CanadaApr 17, 2025

Alberta reports six more cases of measles, bringing total to 83

Alberta is reporting six more confirmed cases of measles, bringing the province's total since the beginning of March to 83. The province says four of the new cases are in central Alberta, and the other two are in the province's south. It says the majority of cases involve children between five and 17 years old. Provincial data shows at least eight people have been hospitalized. Alberta's former chief medical officer of health, Dr. Mark Joffe, has said most cases are likely past the point of being contagious, but that doesn't necessarily reflect community risk. Health officials say measles
smiths-alberta-government-unveils-promised-mandatory-addiction-treatment-law
AlbertaApr 16, 2025

Smith's Alberta government unveils promised mandatory addiction treatment law

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith's government has introduced promised legislation to allow for adults and youngsters to be forced into addiction treatment facilities. If a proposed bill passes, parents, family members, health-care professionals, police or peace officers can apply for a treatment order from a new provincial commission. Under the bill, those using substances and deemed a risk to themselves or others can be ordered into treatment in a secure facility for up to three months, or six months in community-based treatment. Smith says there is no compassion in leaving peopl
three-new-cases-of-measles-reported-in-alberta-including-calgary
AlbertaApr 16, 2025

Three new cases of measles reported in Alberta, including Calgary

Alberta is reporting three more confirmed cases of measles, including one in Calgary. Alberta Health Services says the individual in Calgary had visited nearby towns of Banff and Canmore while infectious earlier this month. The health authority is warning that residents of the two towns may have been exposed to the highly contagious disease if they attended specific locations. It says exposure areas include the Save-On-Foods in Canmore on April 6, and Banff's Lux Cinema and the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel on April 11. Alberta has seen 77 cases of measles since the beginning of
albertas-chief-medical-officer-out-as-contract-ends-province-looking-for-successor
AlbertaApr 16, 2025

Alberta's chief medical officer out as contract ends, province looking for successor

Alberta is without a chief medical officer of health, as the government says Dr. Mark Joffe's contract expired this week. Health Minister Adriana LaGrange's office says an interim replacement is to be announced shortly. Joffe was serving in the role on an interim basis, after Premier Danielle Smith's government fired Dr. Deena Hinshaw in 2022. Before Smith became premier, she committed to firing Hinshaw, who held the position throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. LaGrange's office says the minister will rely on other public health experts within government while the position is vacan
edmonton-police-issue-warning-about-released-convicted-sex-offender
CanadaApr 16, 2025

Edmonton police issue warning about released Convicted sex offender

Police in Edmonton are issuing a warning to the public about a convicted sex offender. They say Robert Edward Ventress is set to be released from jail after serving his sentence, but officials believe he could commit another offence. The 55-year-old is subject to a court order with multiple conditions. Ventress is about 6 feet tall and weighs about 170 pounds. His eye color is green and hair is brown. Police say he has a history of sexual offences, child pornography and failure to comply with court conditions, so people are to call them with any concerns about him when he is released.
albertas-smith-resists-calls-from-ndp-to-pull-lawyers-from-health-probe-process
AlbertaApr 15, 2025

Alberta's Smith resists calls from NDP to pull lawyers from health probe process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says hiring lawyers to funnel requests from the auditor general isn't meant to obstruct an investigation into multimillion-dollar health contracts- it's about helping get to the truth. The government has instructed Alberta Health public servants to contact a lawyer to co-ordinate if auditor general Doug Wylie requests an interview as part of his probe. The NDP's leader in the legislature, Christina Gray, says the policy suggests a coverup is afoot, and is challenging the premier to lift what the NDP calls a ``gag order.'' Smith says the NDP is twist
alberta-reports-16-more-cases-of-measles-bringing-total-to-74
CanadaApr 15, 2025

Alberta reports 16 more cases of measles, bringing total to 74

Alberta is reporting 16 more cases of measles, bringing the provincial total to 74 since the beginning of March. The government says the new cases were reported in Alberta's central and southern zones. Nearly all cases are in school-aged children, with 18 cases being reported in children under the age of five. The province says 64 of the total cases have passed the point where the highly contagious disease could be transmitted to others. Alberta's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Mark Joffe, warns that measles is much more serious than common childhood diseases and encourages Albertans
premier-danielle-smith-voices-concern-over-surgery-wait-times-in-alberta
AlbertaApr 14, 2025

Premier Danielle Smith Voices Concern Over Surgery Wait Times in Alberta

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has expressed concern over the lengthy wait times for surgeries in the province, announcing plans to introduce a new funding model aimed at addressing the issue. Smith made the remarks during a phone-in segment on the show Your Province, Your Premier. She noted that some patients are forced to travel long distances within Alberta to receive treatment, and in some cases, even seek medical care abroad. To address these challenges, Smith said her government is working to implement activity-based funding. The premier emphasized that the current strain on the health c
fatality-inquiry-for-columbia-icefield-bus-rollover-to-be-held-in-june
AlbertaApr 11, 2025

Fatality inquiry for Columbia Icefield bus rollover to be held in June

A fatality inquiry is to take place in June for the three people killed five years ago when a tour bus tumbled down an embankment on the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park. Three people died and 14 suffered life-threatening injuries after the bus lost control and landed on its roof in the popular tourist destination south of Jasper in July 2020. Alberta's government says the inquiry is to take place June 10 at the Jasper Court of Justice. RCMP did not lay criminal charges, but bus operator Brewster Inc. was charged in May 2022 under Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to