21.46°C Vancouver

News

alberta-to-hold-october-referendum-on-immigration-policy-and-senate-reform
AlbertaFeb 20, 2026

Alberta to Hold October Referendum on Immigration Policy and Senate Reform

Alberta residents will be asked to weigh in this October on two policy questions dealing with immigration and constitutional reform, the provincial government has announced. One of the proposed referendum questions will ask voters whether non permanent residents should be required to pay to access Alberta’s publicly funded health care and education systems. The issue comes amid ongoing debate across Canada about how provinces manage service costs as population growth increases. A second question will ask Albertans whether the province should advocate for abolishing the Senate as part of broa
AlbertaFeb 20, 2026

Alberta issues standing measles exposure advisory for Parkland County

Alberta health officials have issued a standing measles exposure advisory for Parkland County, west of Edmonton, as confirmed cases continue to be reported across the province. Alberta Health says individuals who live, work, attend school or travel in the Parkland County area should monitor for symptoms and ensure their immunizations are up to date. A standing advisory means residents should remain alert for potential exposure rather than focusing on a single location or date. As of Thursday, Alberta has recorded 71 confirmed measles cases in 2026. Health authorities say the majority of cases
AlbertaFeb 19, 2026

Calgary man charged in 2024 extortion case involving threats against woman

A 37-year-old Calgary man is facing multiple extortion charges following an investigation into a series of threats reported by a woman in the city’s northeast. The investigation began in September 2025 when the woman contacted police to report repeated attempts throughout 2024 to force her to hand over money and valuables. According to police, the incidents occurred between August and October 2024, during which the suspects allegedly demanded payment and threatened violence if she refused. Authorities say the individuals involved were known to the victim. In December 2025, investigators laun
alberta-premier-to-address-immigration-pressures-ahead-of-provincial-budget
AlbertaFeb 19, 2026

Alberta premier to address immigration pressures ahead of provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is set to deliver a televised address this evening focusing on immigration and its impact on provincial services, as her government prepares to table the 2026 budget next week. Speaking Wednesday, Smith said Alberta’s public finances are facing strain partly due to rapid population growth. The province has led the country in interprovincial migration in recent years, driven by relatively affordable housing and job opportunities in energy and construction sectors. Smith said some newcomers have been “heavy users” of public services without yet contributing t
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads. The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta petition to end public funding for private schools fails to meet signature threshold

A citizen-led petition calling on the Alberta government to end public funding for accredited private schools has fallen short of the number of signatures required to trigger further legislative consideration. In a statement released Tuesday, Chief Electoral Officer Gordon McClure confirmed that just over 124,000 Albertans signed the initiative petition. Under provincial rules, organizers needed approximately 177,000 valid signatures to meet the threshold set out in Alberta’s citizen initiative legislation. The petition was launched by Calgary teacher Alicia Taylor. It asked voters whether t
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d
AlbertaFeb 17, 2026

Toddler dies after being struck by SUV in Calgary crosswalk

A young child has died following a collision at a Calgary intersection over the weekend, according to the Calgary Police Service. Police say the toddler was in a stroller being pushed by two adults in a marked crosswalk on Sunday when a Jeep SUV turned into the intersection and hit the stroller. Emergency crews transported the child to hospital, where the toddler was later pronounced dead. The adults pushing the stroller were not physically injured in the incident. Investigators say the driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with authorities. Police have indicated that neither speed n

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees