17.5°C Vancouver

News

union-for-911-operators-in-rcmp-calls-for-recruitment-plan-to-address-staff-shortages
CanadaApr 11, 2023

Union for 911 operators in RCMP calls for recruitment plan to address staff shortages

The union that represents the RCMP's emergency dispatchers and 911 operators is calling for the force to come up with a recruitment plan to fix worsening staff shortages.CUPE Local 104 president Kathleen Hippern says hundreds of people are off on long-term sick leave, but the force has not hired replacements for many of them.Hippern says that few centres are fully staffed, specifying that in Nova Scotia, staffing is only at about 50 per cent.She says morale is "abysmal" and she believes the lack of staff is affecting public safety by leaving callers sometimes waiting for minutes before someone
about-16-000-quebec-clients-remain-without-power-six-days-after-ice-storm
CanadaApr 11, 2023

About 16,000 Quebec clients remain without power six days after ice storm

Quebec's electric utility says it still can't say with certainty when power will return to all the homes and businesses affected by last week's ice storm.About 16,000 customers are still off the grid, and Hydro-Québec says the majority of them are in the Montreal area.Utility spokesman Francis Labbé says work is particularly complicated in areas where mature trees have damaged power lines and need to be removed before crews can conduct repairs.Hydro-Québec says it has restored power to 99 per cent of the 1.1 million customers who lost electricity after freezing rain sent trees crashing onto
ceo-board-of-trudeau-foundation-resign-citing-recent-politicization-of-their-work
CanadaApr 11, 2023

CEO, board of Trudeau Foundation resign citing recent politicization of their work

The CEO and most members of the board of directions for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation say they are stepping down because of the political climate that has recently surrounded their work.In a statement posted on its website, the foundation says the politicization of a donation it received seven years ago has put a great deal of pressure on its management, volunteer board of directors and staff.The resignations come after the Globe and Mail newspaper reported, citing unnamed sources, that Chinese billionaire Zhang Bin and another Chinese businessman, Niu Gensheng, donated $200,000 to th
heavy-rain-sets-off-high-water-warnings-for-rivers-in-southern-b-c
BCApr 10, 2023

Heavy rain sets off high-water warnings for rivers in southern B.C.

Forecasters are warning of swollen creeks and rivers as heavy rain sweeps over southern British Columbia.High streamflow advisories have been posted for all of Vancouver Island, the south coast and the southern Interior, warning that the possible rapid rise in rivers poses a risk to public safety.Environment Canada says a Pacific frontal system washed over Vancouver Island and the south coast over the weekend, bringing up to 90 millimetres to Haida Gwaii and more than 80 millimetres on Saturna Island.The River Forecast Centre says streams and rivers on Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland, Fra
prime-ministers-chief-of-staff-set-to-testify-friday-on-foreign-interference
CanadaApr 10, 2023

Prime minister's chief of staff set to testify Friday on foreign interference

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's chief of staff, Katie Telford, will appear before a parliamentary committee on Friday.The Prime Minister's Office says Telford will testify at the procedure and House affairs committee on the issue of foreign interference in Canadian elections.The office says an exact time has not been scheduled.Telford agreed to meet with the committee last month, but not before the Liberals launched a filibuster that spanned several meetings in an attempt to keep her from appearing.At the time, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh had said his party would back a Conservative motion to cal
man-charged-after-downtown-montreal-mosque-break-in-caught-on-video
CanadaApr 10, 2023

Man charged after downtown Montreal mosque break-in caught on video

Montreal police say a 32-year-old man is facing a mischief charge after allegedly smashing his way into a downtown mosque early Sunday morning.Const. Véronique Dubuc says investigators don't believe the incident was a hate crime, adding that the suspect will appear in court at a later date.A national Muslim group posted surveillance videos to social media showing someone using a rock to break into the mosque and to smash into the prayer room.The video by the Canadian Muslim Forum also shows an altercation involving the perpetrator and a handful of worshippers at the Al-Omah Al-Islamiah mosque
acts-of-violence-in-workplace-increased-25-per-cent-over-last-5-years-in-b-c
BCApr 10, 2023

Acts of violence in workplace increased 25 per cent over last 5 years in B.C

WorkSafeBC is reminding employers of their obligation to prevent violence in the workplace and ensure the safety of their workers. Over the last five years, acts of violence have increased by 25 per cent in B.C., from 2,292 accepted claims in 2018 to 2,868 in 2022. WorkSafeBC regulations require that employers conduct a risk assessment, have policies and procedures in place to protect workers from the risk of violence, and to provide instruction to workers. Employers must identify potential hazards and implement measures to eliminate or minimize the risk of harm for workers who work alone or i
eight-sheltered-but-more-spaces-needed-as-vancouver-seeks-rooms-for-displaced-campers
BCApr 06, 2023

Eight sheltered but more spaces needed as Vancouver seeks rooms for displaced campers

A handful of homeless people set up tents overnight along a stretch of Vancouver's Hastings Street that was cleared Wednesday in a co-ordinated effort by city officials and Vancouver police.Mayor Ken Sim ordered the long-standing encampment removed after the city's police and fire chiefs warned of escalating crime and an unacceptable fire risk.At the camp's peak, about 180 structures covered the sidewalk along the busy street.Now there are questions about where the displaced residents will go, and many have vowed to return to the only place they feel safe as soon as enforcement lifts.Vancouver
feds-say-four-women-10-children-on-way-to-canada-from-syrian-prison-camps
CanadaApr 06, 2023

Feds say four women, 10 children on way to Canada from Syrian prison camps

The federal government says today it is bringing home four Canadian women and 10 children from prison camps in northeastern Syria.The Canadians are among the many foreign nationals in Syrian camps run by Kurdish forces that reclaimed the war-torn region from the extremist Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.The long-anticipated flight to Canada had been expected to bring more people home.Lawyer Lawrence Greenspon reached an agreement with the federal government in January to repatriate six Canadian women and 13 children who had been part of a court action.Greenspon says today that two mothers

Just In

man-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-in-fatal-coquitlam-pub-stabbing
BCMay 14, 2026

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Coquitlam pub stabbing

A 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing outside a pub in Coquitlam last year, according to homicide investigators. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Timothy Vansnick was originally charged with second-degree murder following the incident on Jan. 31, 2025. Police said the stabbing occurred after a fight outside the pub. Bystanders attempted first aid before emergency responders continued life-saving efforts, but the victim died at the scene. Investigators said Vansnick was charged with second-degree murder on Feb. 1, 2025. On Tuesda
water-restored-in-parts-of-kamloops-but-boil-water-advisory-and-restrictions-remain
BCMay 14, 2026

Water restored in parts of Kamloops, but boil water advisory and restrictions remain

Water service has been restored to parts of Kamloops following a major water main break in the city’s east end, but officials say the supply remains unsafe to drink as repair work continues. The City of Kamloops said potable water trucks will remain stationed at four locations in the affected area through Friday to provide residents with safe drinking water. According to the city, residents are also being asked to temporarily stop using water again until 6 p.m. Thursday while crews complete what officials described as a critical repair to the damaged main. City officials said the temporary s
vancouver-police-seek-public-help-locating-missing-man-last-seen-near-vgh
BCMay 14, 2026

Vancouver police seek public help locating missing man last seen near VGH

Vancouver Police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 30-year-old man who was last seen near Vancouver General Hospital early Thursday morning. According to a Vancouver Police Department release, Sahil Dhallay was last seen around midnight on May 14 in the area of Vancouver General Hospital. Police described Dhallay as a South Asian man who was wearing a brown hospital gown and no shoes at the time he was last seen. Authorities said anyone who sees Dhallay should call 9-1-1 immediately and should not approach him. The case remains under investigation as police continue efforts to l
alberta-court-blocks-separation-petition-over-lack-of-first-nations-consultation
AlbertaMay 14, 2026

Alberta court blocks separation petition over lack of First Nations consultation

An Alberta court has dismissed a petition related to separating the province from Canada, ruling the provincial government failed to meet its duty to consult First Nations before advancing the process. The court said any move toward separation from Canada could directly affect rights protected under Treaties 7 and 8, making consultation with affected Indigenous communities a constitutional requirement. Premier Danielle Smith criticized the ruling, calling it “wrong” and “anti-democratic.” Smith said the provincial government plans to appeal the decision immediately, arguing consultatio
honda-pauses-proposed-15b-ev-project-in-ontario-indefinitely
CanadaMay 14, 2026

Honda pauses proposed $15B EV project in Ontario indefinitely

Honda Motor Co. has indefinitely suspended plans for its proposed $15-billion electric vehicle project in Alliston, Ontario, a move that raises new questions about the pace of Canada’s EV manufacturing expansion. The company announced the decision Thursday, citing changing market conditions and slower consumer demand for electric vehicles. The proposed project was expected to create about 1,000 jobs in the region. Honda said the decision will not affect workers or production at its existing manufacturing facility in Alliston, where current operations will continue as planned. The project had